Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 02:04

Plan: atkins and low carb in ge
Stats: 175/153/145 Male 162
BF:
Progress: 73%

hey how about make ya own i tried it, sometime works sometime dont
whip up double cream, add splenda and add any citrus fruit juices. i normally squeeze lemon and lime and then mix it up and it tastes just like yoghurt. dont overwhip the cream. once i made a mousse (choc) by adding cream, splenda and cocoa and once it was thick. i just had to throw it away. too strong, thick, tastes like erm cream. i dont like the smell of it
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 09:34

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%

I can do the mathS quite well, thanks

The point is, this is a FRUIT FLAVOURED yoghurt and is sweetened with Sucralose rather than asparatame or another artificially sweetener. For the UK this is a big stride forward. I know you're used to the many products you can get in the US, but those of us who live permanently on this side of the pond are not. So positive steps by the supermarkets are welcome.

PS: I have never seen a "normal" pot of yoghurt of nearly 200g, either 125 or 150 is the usual UK size, as in the Yeo Valley you quote. I agree that's an excellent yoghurt, but if you compare like with like and look at their fruit-flavoured varieties, you will see that the carb number shoots up to around 15g and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SucraPhobe
Sorry, but I fail to see why is 8g of CH per 125ml considered low carb.

125 ml is only 4fl oz which isn't even the usual size for a common yogurt container (about 6fl oz, almost 200 ml). Thus the one you mention works out to be about 12g of CH for the usual amount (6 fl oz).

By comparisson, the YeoValley natural has only 9.9g of CH FOR THE ENTIRE container (150g)... do the math and you'll verify it is actually less than the one mentioned above.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 15:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/168/160 Male 69in
BF:
Progress: 85%

Well, you can buy Atkins-branded fruit-flavored yougurt right here in the UK with only 4g of CH per 125ml (MILLILITER). A day or two ago I saw them in Boots, and I suspect they can be found in many other locations.

Atkins goes out of his way to warn us that sugar-free does not mean carb-free. For example, there have long been sugar-free products for diabetics which are definitely not suitable for LC. And, of course, potato, rice, wheat, etc are typically 100% sugar free, but no one would consider them LC.

P.S. You seem to have confused ml with g, they are NOT the same. If you read the quote you included from my original post, you will see that I wrote that the typical yougurt container had 200ml (MILLILITER) which is not the same as200 gr. 6 fl oz (typical container in the UK) is roughly 190ml (MILLILITER).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaUK
I can do the mathS quite well, thanks

The point is, this is a FRUIT FLAVOURED yoghurt and is sweetened with Sucralose rather than asparatame or another artificially sweetener. For the UK this is a big stride forward.

PS: I have never seen a "normal" pot of yoghurt of nearly 200g, either 125 or 150 is the usual UK size, as in the Yeo Valley you quote. I agree that's an excellent yoghurt, but if you compare like with like and look at their fruit-flavoured varieties, you will see that the carb number shoots up to around 15g and more.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-05, 06:22
Honourary Fimble

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/219/150 Female 5ft 7
BF:loads/lots/less
Progress: 19%
Default Rachel's Live Greek Style Yoghurt

That's my favourite. 4.4g per 100ml. I buy a big pot and every day scoop out a serving into one of the little pots that I've saved from before (they are very sturdy) and take it with me to work. I then just drop a few berries into it - or, if I'm feeling decadent I thoroughly recommend cooking some rhubarb, blackberries and blueberries etc together (no sugar OR sweetener) and keeping it in the fridge for a while. A teaspoon of that swirled through the yoghurt is pretty awesome.