Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 23:01

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 237/235/180 Male 5' - 11"
BF:32.8%/32.8%/15%
Progress: 4%
Default "Hi", Everyone....

I'm kind'a new here, just joined the Forum.

Name's "John", and I live in Soldotna. I'm an'active(?) 67yr old who has been retired these past 12 years. (Retired here from Las Vegas!)

Just found out from my Doctor that I have caught "Geezer's" diabetes. She also more than implied that a great deal of it was because I had got'en REALLY overweight for my (she says...) sedentary lifestyle.
Apparantly, getting up and leaving the apartment a couple of times a week and going to the Library to exchange books, ...or going over to one of the local "Vet's" Clubs to socialize and toss back a few "brewskies", or getting up and going down the street to the Kenai River to catch "Supper" is NOT enough exercise, ...nor is it the proper type.
"Sheesh! ...Excuse me!" LOLOL

Anyway, I'm 237#, and want'a get back down to 180#.
And to really complicate things, while I realize that "no pain..., no gain!", I want to do this as effortlessly as posssible. Thankfully, I LOVE red meat, fish, fowl, most veggies, and BEER! (Am not quite sure how the beer is going to fit in with the Atkin's, yet..., but I'm working on it,)

I'm in the process, now, of cleaning out my fridge of all the things that might spoil over the next 2 weeks (because I can't eat them during Induction), stocking up on all, or most of the stuff that I'll need for the period, and looking forward to starting the process this coming Sunday (June 10th)
Haven't quite figured out how to do without bread, rice, and pasta and cheese yet..., but, I'll work it out.

I believe that I can stay "true" to the process..., but, should things start to go bad..., it's nice to know theres a place to go where someone understands.

"Be well..., do good things, and stay in touch" (Garrison Keelor; The Writer's Almanac. Minn. Public Radio)

Regards,
John
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 23:02

PS: I forgot..., can anyone tell how I can check my "bodyfat"?
Tnx, John
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 10:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/230/190 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 33%

John - start a journal and I will support ya - you can do this - welcome - pop on over to my journal and let me know when you start
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-07, 19:34

Hey "301"..., how are'ya?
Nice to hear from someone.

Thanks for the offer of support, it's appreciated more than you know.
However, as to the "Journal"..., don't much care for them. I've been known to start a few and they always seem to fall by the wayside really quickly. I guess I'm just not a faithful journal writer.

Just got back after 4 days in the "toolies", and the first thing I did was step on a bathroom scale that I picked up for this purpose. "GADZOOKS!!!!", would you believe I lost 18 pounds?
Not sure if it was because of all the roaming over "hill and dale" that I did..., or the rather "sparten" fare I ingested.
Probably a bit of both.
Ate a lot of beef and fish, eggs, fresh veggies, and laid off the bread, rice, biscuits and gravy.
My only "cheating" was..., I did have a total of 3 beers around the campfire over the 4 days.

All-in-all, I'm satisfied with this LC/Hi Fat stuff, so far. Now if I could just do something about my "wanting MORE food" (LOL).
Not a craving for any particular food or drink, mind you, just a feeling of "loss" that I couldn't have a SLAB of roast beef instead of a piece the size of a deck of cards.
Oh well, I guess as I get further into this experiment I'll learn and understand more.

Again, thanks for your correspondence and offer.
Talk t'ya soon.
John
PS: Is it heating up in Fairbanks yet? Also, glad to see you like fishing. Me too, but all I do is usually the River, here. Sure miss eating "fresh water" fish.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 11:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/124/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Aloha Ya'll,

Greetings from a member of "da outskirts", I'm not in Alaska, but in Hawaii. I've visited the Anchorage municipality and down to Seward, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Considered relocation there, but made it to Hawaii first.

I hope to share some of the things I discovered that helped me with LC'ing. I did want to ask you all about your challenges with the diet/WOE that were related to being in Alaska, i.e.: related to ordering LC items that would have to be shipped to you.

I'm on my way out the door to work, but hope to elaborate further about companies like Amazon.com. I discovered recently that they offer some LC items like Carbquick, Just the Cheese, Dr. Kracker and so on. They even offered super saver shipping on these items. I tried to order items that were obviously non-perishable, but Amazon.com would not complete the order, showing me their shipping policy to Hawaii. I've written customer service with an idea of the response I would get. I've ordered non-food items that are delivered within a week, so I'm not sure what the obstacle is. I contacted several companies of which their products were on Amazon, and they confirmed that they have not prohibited Amazon from shipping to HI/AK.

Just wanted your thoughts in general on challenges (if any) regarding access to variety of LC items others are able to order for flat low rate shipping.

Thanks,

CC