Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 13:19
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I eat coconut oil for the health benefits.. I can't say whether it helps speed weight loss, it does help my athletic performance.

It's excellent mixed with sunflower and pupkin seeds, or in a hot cocoa, I also eat it on crisp breads. If I feel like cheating, the most delicious cheat is a piece of bread or half a bun fried in a couple tbs of coconut oil.. left in it when it's crispy to soak up the oil, with a VERY thin layer of raw honey on top.

I'll use it in dishes with curry or certain spices as well. Virgin coconut oil tastes light and almost sweet, with a hint of coconut.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 14:05

Plan: Whatever Works :-)
Stats: 242/234/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 12%

....bump....
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 16:03

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

what about mixing it with non-fat cocoa powder and a tiny bit of liquid Splenda (maybe Kahlua flavour) and drop it it small drops onto waxed paper and refridgerate. This would make a great LC candy.

Deb
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 16:23
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

I use organic virgin coconut oil in Indian and Thai dishes, and bake LC cookies with it and almond flour. I still can't stand the idea of putting it on my cracker like butter but it gives nice flavor to desserts and curries. It's still has too much of sweet coconut flavor to use it in everyday cooking. I should try to make some LC chocolate with it.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 15:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi Folks
I have not posted in a long time but since I have decided to add Coconut Oil I came across this thread and I noticed Athena123 concerned about calories.
Check out this thread in Best of I think you will find it most interesting regarding Fats Calories and Lowcarb

Confused and Scared to Eat Fat link below......
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=31603
  #21   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 07:56

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I eat a lot of coconut oil and I have not gained from it. I lost fat - not weight, but fat from using coconut oil over a year without dieting at all. (belly fat)
From feb to april, I went thru a gallon (7 lbs) of coconut oil (don't know how I did this; I was not trying) I didn't gain and my tummy shrunk a bit.
Since I started with the coconut oil and gave up using vegetable and seed oils I am never sick and I feel better than I ever had.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 10:23

Moseyman, what are some of the ways you eat CO? i'm having real trouble fitting it into my diet because i rarely use any kind of cooking fat anymore.

How do you ensure that you get the recommended 3 tbsp per day? I tried to eat it straight and almost threw up.

i'd really like to incorporate it more but i just don't know what to use it in.

Any comments?

Thanks

Deb
  #23   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 12:23

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Deb,

I make almond flour muffins with coconut flakes and coconut oil, 3 carbs per muffin and no artificial sweetener; I buy raw almonds and unsulfered unsweetened coco flakes both for purty cheap at a local health food store. (coconut flakes are usually in with dehydrated fruits and things like that
How to make muffins:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...686&postcount=3

I even add a bit of oil to the top of the muffin, and drown it with some SCD yogurt (2 carbs per cup) I can’t taste it at all that way.

How to make yogurt:http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...772&postcount=7

I stir fry with it & I sometimes put a dab in my coffee, but that’s a bit yucky; I got used to it tho.

I also found these recipes for it; I haven’t tried yet: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...87&postcount=60

I hope that helps.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 12:35
Registered Member

It's pretty easy to take in some warm chocolate milk.. I either warm up the low carb hood, or because it's too sweet for me just put cocoa in boiling water with stevia and cream.
It's also great in berry smoothies: frozen berries, a couple of raw egg yolks, a splash of something tart like lemon juice, heavy vream and coconut oil. Blend.
It's quite palatable mixed with peanut butter or almond butter ....and if you're feeling really naughty there is nothing like half of a roll fried in a large amount of coconut oil. Once it's golden brown and crispy let it sit in the oil for a few mins to soak it up and spread just a little raw honey on top - better than any donut.
If you like curry it's a great addition to curry dishes.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 13:07

Plan: To Stay Sane
Stats: 275/239.4/224 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 70%

Wow, this is so interesting. I've never heard of CO and can't wait to get some -- just wish I hadn't JUST gotten back from the store...

I love this site!! Someone just directed me to a easy recipe for flax bread that I'm going to make and then turn it into a grilled cheese with some of this CO.

Thanks for keeping this thread going!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 10:21

Moseyman and Meg S:

Thanks for the suggestions for CO. I have all the ingredients for the muffins so i will be doing that right away! I really look forward to having muffins again.

Thanks very much

Deb
  #27   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 11:30

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

I got the virgin coconut oil and it tastes so much better than the organic co that I get in the local store. The texture is not so lardy, in fact it melts like good chocolate in the mouth. I just found some premium organic coconut milk in the store and it's as thick and rich as whipped cream. I'm going to fiddle with those 2 things and come up with something that is like a treat instead of a supplement. Then I'll have dessert 3 times a day -Gail
  #28   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 12:28

what's the difference between virgin and organic coconut oil? I thought it was the same?

Deb
  #29   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 12:50

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

The organic co that I got said refined for cooking. The virgin (is organic too) is better quality. I got it online.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 13:24
Registered Member

somewhat off topic.. but I make a delicious body butter by melting and then whipping up a mixture of virgin coconut oil, virgin cocoa butter and unrefined shea butter. It takes on the consistency of cake frosting and feel sooo nice on the skin.