Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 16:23
Registered Member

Plan: A True Miracle, Rosedale
Stats: 185/185/132 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Is everyone being successfull?

There is little to no activity on this message board, so I am assuming everyone but me has all the problems ironed out. I've begun fudging, a little sugar here, a little caffeine there. If this goes on, I won't be on Schwartzbein anymore, but rather my own made-up diet. Those seldom work. So I'm writing it on here in hopes I can report later that I'm doing better . Might be enough to jog me back.
Donna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 21:41

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Well since you asked...

I view TSP as a process. Diet is only one of the 5 steps. Dr. S. mentions several times that you can't change everything at once. I'm doing my best. I am making a concerted effort to get more sleep, since lack of sleep was contributing to my exhaustion, poor meal planning, caffeine addiction and high stress levels. I am following the diet fairly well. I just can't bear to throw out food, so I am using up some foods with artificial sweeteners - some instant green iced tea, my protein powders and glutamine. Overall doing very well getting off AS though. Having a very hard time eating gluten-free, but at least I have cut back on my wheat intake. Anyone else notice the diet got stricter with each new book? So overall I am just trying to stick to whole foods. It's hard for me to get used to eating carbs/starches and to add non-starchy veggies with breakfast and snacks. I do endulge myself in one square of Lindt 85% cocoa dark chocolate if I'm feeling sorry for myself for not getting to eat dessert.

For now I am not worrying about getting off caffeine, although I am consuming less. Dr. S. states that will be the last step for a lot of people. I usually only drink one cup of coffee a day now, but I do drink several cups of tea, usually green. I also do occasionally have a beer. The exercise is the biggest challenge for me. I want to run some 5K races this spring, so I am unwilling to give up my running. I have cut back. I don't feel the need to cut back on my weight training. Even though it is intense, I rarely lift for more than 45min 3x/wk, and it doesn't exhaust me. I am including more yoga and pilates.

I have been better lately about entering my food into fitday. I do better if I stay accountable to myself. What I have noticed is it would be easy for me to add too much fat, esp. after doing low-carb. Dr. S recommends no more than 50-60% of calories from fat, and I would be at least 60% if I added as much fat as I was. I'm also trying to keep an eye on calories (I know, I know).

Overall I am feeling a little better, I think primarily from getting more sleep. I also feel more in control of my eating. Sorry this is so long!

Jen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 09:44

Plan: Fat Flush Plan-modified
Stats: 157/135/129 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hello to all,
I’ve read this board for quite a long time but never posted. I really appreciate what everyone has posted. So here’s my two cents…

I am in my mid 50s and have been on the bio-identical hormones for about a year. I struggled with lack of sleep issues and hot flashes (up to 20+ daily) for over 6 years before making the decision to take the hormones. I am fortunate that I am a patient at Women to Women in Maine since I live nearby. I am also currently on Licorice root and prescription DHEA for my adrenal glands as well as taking various supplements.

I have been an avid label reader and have eaten whole grains, organic whole foods as much as I can afford, hormone-free meats, etc for many years. I’m pretty careful about what I bring into my home but don’t worry about it when dining out.

I had tried the SP diet (somewhat) previously on my own but didn’t lose any weight. When I went on a yeast-free diet last year (for health reasons) combined with the SP principles, I lost 27 lbs (within maybe 4-6 months) that I had put on quite rapidly the year before. On this diet I ate no bread, no dairy (well – maybe one latte a week), sugar, and the only grains I ate were quinoa and buckwheat. Mmmm – doesn’t that sound good!

I had done the yeast-free type diet (based on the Body Ecology Diet) years ago with the same results – very fast weight loss. But it’s hard to stick to.

I’ve slipped the last 6 months (breads, too much sugar, wine) and gained back 15 lbs. What I have discovered for myself is that my diet needs to be pretty much gluten-free, sugar-free, and only occasional wine or beer. I’m going to have to figure out the dairy part. I have reduced my caffeine but still drink 2 cups (half decaf) daily.

In the past, I have had all of my fillings replaced (high mercury levels in my body) and tried various diets – most for health, some for weight loss. At this point I would like to lose the 15 lbs. I gained back and stick to a more healthful (for me) way of eating.

I guess I’ve rambled on long enough. - Filly
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 11:58

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filly
I’m going to have to figure out the dairy part.
FYI Maybe you should consider limiting yourself to other sources of dairy (goat milk & goat cheese (think: Feta) and sheep cheese (think: mizithra). As I understand it, dairy products from OTHER than cows is often tolerable to those with lactose issues.

True for me, anyhoo!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 13:04

Plan: Fat Flush Plan-modified
Stats: 157/135/129 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 79%

Thanks CSOAR 2004
...but I don't think lactose intolerance is an issue for me. At least I don't seem to have any reactions to it - I'm trying to decide if dairy products eaten on a regular basis cause weight gain for me.

What are the symptoms of lactose intolerance? Could I have it and not know it?

Thanks
Filly
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filly
What are the symptoms of lactose intolerance? Could I have it and not know it?
well... I did. Turns out I'm mildly lactose intolerant - I don't get the heavy nausea/headache thing, but I DO get fatigue, bloat, weight gain, cramping.

I found this out by eliminating dairy from my diet for a stretch and then trying to add it back. Turns out I can have yogurt and hard cheeses (which have the lactose processed out) but not milk/cream/soft cheeses such as cottage, cream , etc.)

So I suggest that you try eliminating dairy for at least two weeks, then try adding back small amounts (say, a couple oz per day) and watch out for any of these: upset tummy, cramping, fatigue, bloat (measure yourself before you start adding back dairy), dark circles under eyes, headaches, etc.

goat and sheep cheeses give me no problems at all.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 15:00
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by csoar2004
FYI Maybe you should consider limiting yourself to other sources of dairy (goat milk & goat cheese (think: Feta) and sheep cheese (think: mizithra). As I understand it, dairy products from OTHER than cows is often tolerable to those with lactose issues.

True for me, anyhoo!
Quote:
Distinguishing between allergies and lactose intolerance:
Allergies and lactose intolerance are different things. An allergic reaction is the body's response to a foreign body (antigen), typically proteins. Goat milk proteins have a slightly different amino acid structure than cow milk proteins. Thus, a person who produces antibodies to cow milk proteins, may not produce antibodies to goat milk proteins.
However, there is no guarantee that a person who is allergic to cow milk will not be allergic to goat milk, because the milks are similar. Lactose intolerance results from a person's inability to digest lactose. Lactose is present in all milks. Thus, goat milk can not successfully be substituted for cow milk in cases of lactose intolerance."
A note about goat milk digestibility:
Goat milk's tendency to be more easily digested than cow milk is due to its protein make-up. Goat milk has low levels of the protein alpha s1-casein, a protein that is involved in curd formation. Cow milk has higher quantities of alpha s1-casein
http://www.saanendoah.com/compare.html
Is it possible to tell if one is allergic to dairy and how. I don't have any digestive problems associated with dairy consumption, but now I'm not so sure. I know that I can tolerate lactose with no problem.
OK, I've the entire post, no questions.
Thanks

Last edited by dina1957 : Wed, Jan-26-05 at 15:05.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 16:13

ahhhhh..thanks for clearing that up, Dina. Mebbe it's the cow dairy protein thingie that gives me the nasties.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 16:34
Registered Member

BF:

Hello CSOAR 2004
Would you mind giving me a general idea of what your Schwartzbein diet contained and didn't contain? You progress has been impressive!

I never knew about the milk protein either. Like you, I get gas bloat and sometimes the runs. But no nausea from milk. I intended to get the last book today, but didn't make it that far.
I have been having feta in salads with no ill effects. So maybe it is the protein thing that is bothering me too.

TIA
Donna
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 16:58

Donna, actually, I follow the Fat Flush Plan by Ann Louise Gittleman. In the first two phases of the FFP, sugar, caffeine, dairy, wheat (including pasta and bread), and unfermented soy are removed from the diet.
Some things are added back in P2 (spelt or sprouted grain bread, for example) and others in P3 (dairy). And some NEVER come back (sugar, unfermented soy, most caffeine).

When I reached goal (in just over 6 months) and moved to the lifestyle phase, adding in dairy really gave me the nasties! Hence my late-life discovery of dairy sensitivity/intolerance. D'oh! Some of us are just slow learners.
Read about Schwartzbein but never tried it.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 15:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/209/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I've just hit an extremely stressful time of year at work. All of our contracts, task assignments and change orders must be signed by all parties and the money encumbered by finance & accounting....or Florida State Parks will lose their money as of Feb. 1st. Everyone in my Bureau is running around with their hair on fire, so to speak.

That being said, I think we all struggle with our major issues in life everyday. I didn't get obese because I'm just naturally on top of things! Late night eating is still a bear for me. It's not that I eat the wrong things, but I eat too much of the right things and at the wrong time. Calories aside, eating a bunch of food at 10PM is not a good idea because we just don't have a chance of burning that off. I'm pretty sure that I'm not getting enough during the day because I'm so busy that it's all too easy to put it off. I'm not even sure that I'm losing. I've had people telling me I have, but I think they just want to make me feel good. My doc appt is Feb 14th and I'll find out for sure then.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 07:37
Registered Member

BF:

Hello FB
Isn't it just a bear when people fib to you because they want to encourage you? And then your friendly enemies tempt you? I don't know who friend or foe is at times. I'm a lot happier when no one comments at all. I try to keep my regime a secret as long as I can. Then when we eat out I feign a queasy stomach and pick around having what I'm allowed, so that they won't find out. But usually some skinny girl whose whole life revolves around dieting and exercise figures it out, and then I have to deal with all the nosy questions. I should have stayed in computer networking. I worked with all guys and they never noticed a thing like that. You could eat floppy disks every day at noon and the wouldn't notice unless they needed one. And if they noticed you lost, you KNEW it was sincere.

Good luck with the stress thing. Just remember that the Florida Parks were there before you and will be there after you. Do what you are able to do, but carry a small fire extinguisher for those hair fires too. Have you ever read "When in Doubt, Mumble" by James Boren? It is a hysterical account of Bureaucracy (?no idea of spelling?). One quote that I'm fond of is, "The government doesn't mind if you want to cut red tape.... As long as you cut it lengthways". The book is probably 25 years old and out of print, but see if you can locate a copy. It will keep you in stitches. I lent mine to someone and never got it back.

Donna
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 08:15
bikerbabe

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default no im not successful

I am having what I think is a major glich with Atkins..first week i lost 6 lb now its stopped any suggestions?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 11:19
Registered Member

BF:

Hi BikerBabe
I did not have success with Atkins after the first couple of weeks of water loss. When your adrenals are burned out as well as insulin resistence and probably even more imbalances of the edocrine system, just counting carbs is not enough. You have to have the calories down too, and probably elminiate all toxic things from your diet. Not what I wanted to hear, but no doubt true.

I'm not saying it is your case. But it certainly was mine and I'm letting you know - just in case. There is a book out there - something like "how to make your low-carb diet a success" something along those lines. The woman who wrote it tells of pitfalls for low-carbers, and not necessarily having too many carbs either. If you want to stay with Atkins, that is what I'd try to find. It is in paperback and not very expensive, I believe.

Donna
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 10:12
bikerbabe

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Cool Thanks for the pep talk

Hi there

had another bad w/e due to no weight loss, but checked out your message at work this morning, put me in a more psositive frame of mind, now determined to carry on for at least another week!!

Best wishes

The Harley riding woman of southern Uk!!

Bikerbabe x