Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 11:49

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

More recipes at carbalose.com (makers of Carbquik). There are recipes for muffins, brownies, pound cake, crumb cake . . .
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 12:01

BF:

Geezum crow, those biscuits were good!
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 13:20
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

Ok folks I never tried the carbquick recipe on the box but this is what I do:

1/3 cup of carbquick
1 egg
2 drops of sweetfreeze liquid splenda
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1 tabelsoon of water
2 tabelspoons of hood LC milk
1 tablespoon of Davinci french vanella syrup

It makes 3 nice sized pancakes. I really think these are the best pankcakes i've evere made and that includes pre low carb. By the way I use log cabin low carb syrup to top it with. For those who didnt like the box recipe please try this before you give up on the CQ.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 13:32

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

the impossible pie recipe recipe is awesome! try it.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 18:22

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

nutsnseeds--Do you make the impossible pies exactly by the Bisquick recipe (subbing the Carbquik, of course)? I think my problem with my chicken/broccoli invention might have been a bit too much liquid in the crust mix, or possibly my oven calibration is off a bit. Mike--Thanks for the ideas! If I can't get the next one right, I'll try blind baking a crust for future creations. Gabrielle--I'm definitely going to try your way of making the pancakes! I've always added just a dash of pure vanilla extract to my pancake or waffle batter, and I bet the DaVinci's takes the place of that AND some of the sweetener. I did try waffles one night, but they didn't turn out great (good, but not great). There is something different in the texture of the CQ which made them nice on the outside, but kind of "empty" on the inside. The waffles had a nice crusty top and bottom, but there was nothing in the middle. Pancakes would most likely turn out better. Guess I'm still in my "learning curve" phase. I've never had this many flops in a row. My next project is going to be fried cran-apple pies. I've got some apples that need to be juiced immediately, so I'll do that tomorrow and use as liquid to cook a few McIntosh apples and some fresh cranberries for the filling (with Splenda and spices).. I figure that when I get my applesauce made, I can freeze it in 1 or 2 serving batches. Yummy! Couldn't afford to have it often, but with the cranberries to increase volume in the apple filling, the Carbquik crust, and the fact that you only need about 2 TBL of filling for a fried fruit pie--the carb count might not be too bad...
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 19:22

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:

I got both recipes below off this forum but I don't know from whom so I can't give credit. Tried them both - loved them both.

Davinci Custard Pie <--- You choose the flavor!

1/2 cup Carbquick
3 eggs
1/2 cup Davinci SF syrup, your choice of flavor
3 Tbs. melted butter
1/2 cup CarbCountdown whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream

Mix all ingredients well in mixer or blender.

Pour into a greased pie pan, bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until the middle is set.

Cool and serve with whipped cream.

IMPOSSIBLE CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
2 eggs
1 c. Hood’s carb countdown milk
1/4 c butter, softened
2 sq. (1 oz. each) melted unsweetened chocolate (cool)
1 c. sugar substitute
1/2 c. Carbquick baking mix

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease pie plate, 9 x 1 1/4 inches. Place all ingredients except sweetened whipped cream in blender container. Cover and blend on high 1 minute. Pour into plate. Bake until no indentation remains when touched lightly in center, about 30 minutes. Cool completely. Top with sweetened whipped cream.

Have fun. My next CQ experiment will be either the coffee cake, the pound cake or the scones. Hmmmm decisions, decisions.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 08:40

BF:

I just made waffles. You gotta try these!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=228663
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 12:53
Gold Member

By the way anyone have any luck making the cut biscuits? I think i made mine to thin they came out like cookies. My drop cheddar bey biscuits were awsome. I am 2 for 3 with the carbquick. The one that didnt work out was probably user error.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 15:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:

Gabrielle, it seems that if you don't add baking powder to the mix it won't rise very much so you can either add a teaspoon of baking powder or make the cut biscuits a little thicker knowing that they're not going to rise very much.
I made mine a bit thicker and they turned out fine, but next time I think I'll add the baking soda and see how they do.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 18:13

BF:

Quote:
For those who didnt like the box recipe please try this before you give up on the CQ.

LOL! Not giving up...just learning to work with a new medium. BTW Gabrielle, I tried your version of the pancakes (minus the DaVinci syrup since I don't have any) and they turned out much better.
I may try it with slightly more mix for a little thicker batter to see if I can get them to rise a little more; these were still a little on the flat side but much better than the last batch.
I'm not all that keen on pancakes, even the high carb variety, so it may be a while before I try this again.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 19:58
Gold Member

Wow Lisa were they really thin? Mine are kind of thick. I can only have two of them in a sitting. You can also leave out the water. The first time I made them I didn't use any water and they came out thicker. Next time I make them (probably not untile next week) i'll take a picture.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 04:46

BF:

Anyone here thinking we should petition the administrators to have a separate forum for Carbquik recipes? The thing is, there's so much you can do with with it. There are appetizers, main dishes, breakfast ideas, baked goods, desserts. Which forum do you use?

Oh well, there's always the Search function.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 07:40

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

I've been thinking the same thing, Bawdy. It really would be nice to have it all organized, and in one spot...
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 09:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielleG
Wow Lisa were they really thin? Mine are kind of thick. I can only have two of them in a sitting. You can also leave out the water. The first time I made them I didn't use any water and they came out thicker. Next time I make them (probably not untile next week) i'll take a picture.

Gabrielle, they weren't thin like a crepe, but they were thinner than the pancakes I used to make for the family. I think adding just a couple more tablespoons of mix would make a difference in the thickness of the batter. OTOH, my oldest DD made pancakes at the same time with Jiffy mix and hers weren't that much thicker (and DH said the low carb ones tasted better ). He managed to polish off 4 of them with 3 or 4 sausage links. I ate 2 with a sausage link and was satified for the rest of the night.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 15:50

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 77 inches
BF:
Default cut biscuits disappointing

I bought the CQ and got it about a week ago and havent been motivated to try it until today. The look and texture initially were very good, but like with a lot of LC products, I got that "keep chewing and kind of hard to swallow" sensation as if it were like LC chips or pork rinds.

It is definitely the best thing I have seen yet, but an exact replacement for bisquik it aint.