Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 09:44

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm with you on the soy. I don't believe soy is that good for you either, at least not in high amounts.

I warmed up a couple of the biscuits for breakfast this morning, and have decided to just chuck the rest, along with the remaining mix. I just don't like the flavor, and probably never will. The Carbquik should be coming mid-week.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 12:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/108/110 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/25%/22%
Progress: 104%

Made the coffee cake (from this site, listed as "Robin's Coffee Cake") yesterday...overall, a favourable result, but I think I will tweak the recipe next time if I make it again...I say if, because I ate TWO BIG PIECES yesterday! I guess I liked it. The problem was, I left it on the counter instead of freezing it right away after slicing it...I am as bad as your dog, Wench!

I think it is a good product, so far...tentative thumbs-up...next projects will be: plain biscuits, pastry dough (for cherry turnovers)...and...maybe Irish soda bread.

BTW, I agree, it doesn't "rise" much in the oven. A little bit...but not as much as I had expected.

Lucy
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 14:20

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Lucy--What are you planning on doing--"tweak-wise"? That looks pretty good, and I might try it, too (a bit later on-when I'm sure that I have myself under control again).. Did you use all Carbquik, or a combo with almond flour? Yum! And--hey, if it's out on the counter, it's fair game.. Even if I freeze things, I know it's just a matter of popping it in the micro or the convection oven. But, out of sight/out of mind, right?
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 19:47

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:

Tried the MiniCarb.... The rest of the box is going in the trash.
But after reading so many good reviews on the CarbQuick, I ordered 2 boxes from Netrition which arrived today. If my family's response to the cheddar biscuits is any indication, I'd say it's a hit. I made 10 biscuits to go with dinner (regular batch), had one and the rest are history. Hopefully all that fiber (7 grams per bisuit) isn't going to cause them a problem.
I also mentioned the product to my local low carb specialty store and the owner is looking into whether they can get it in this area; his regular distributor doesn't carry it, but I gave him the name and website and he promised to do his best to get some.

The only suggestion I can think of would be to use unsalted butter since my DH commented that the biscuits tasted a bit salty to him (didn't stop him from eating 4!). I may try some pancakes or berry cobbler this weekend and I'll pass on the results if I do.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 03:56

BF:

Cool! Mine came in the mail yesterday. They'll have to wait until Saturday, though. No time until then.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 04:19

BF:

I came up with this yesterday, and I think they are pretty good (the dog liked them, too). A nice change, at least. I'm having lots of fun with the Carbquik, and can't wait to try Becky's blueberry cobbler!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 10:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, I adore Carbquik. I won't bother with any other baking mixes now that I have CQ. I've gotten 6 3# boxes so far. I used a lot over the holidays when I made my Lemon/Cranberry low carb trifle. I had to experiment a lot to figure out how to make a cake with it. And I gave a box to my Sister for Xmas.

One thing, I hated their pancake recipe on the box. I just add egg and water and it makes a fine pancake or waffle batter.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 13:53

Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

I have a feeling that we will see a Carbquik section soon!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 16:27

Stats: 155/108/110 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/25%/22%
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TessM
Lucy--What are you planning on doing--"tweak-wise"? That looks pretty good, and I might try it, too (a bit later on-when I'm sure that I have myself under control again).. Did you use all Carbquik, or a combo with almond flour?

All carbquik...but I kept the almond meal in the topping part. I already "tweaked" it by doubling the topping recipe and mixing (folding) half of it into the batter before putting the rest on top and baking.

If I tweak next time: I will prob use half CQ, half almond flour. And may put a little extra baking powder in for rise. May crush some pecans up and put them in the topping.

Or I may just make pecan "sticky" buns with pecans and splenda and butter and CQ. I have to find a recipe for that.

One alert, though--I made the mistake of drinking a diet soda with a piece of coffeecake and since then I have been incredibly bloated. Could it be like one of those volcanoes kids make in primary school as a science project? Could white foamy baking-soda lava start coming out my mouth soon?

Lucy
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 18:01

BF:

Well, tomorrow is the day I try Carbquik for the first time. I think I might just make scones, following a recipe I have and substituting Carbquik for the flour (I'll still add a little baking powder). The original recipe calls for heavy cream that you sour yourself using some vinegar. They're really good the original way. Or maybe I'll try the coffee cake.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 05:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifive
Could it be like one of those volcanoes kids make in primary school as a science project? Could white foamy baking-soda lava start coming out my mouth soon?

Lucy

LOL, Lucy--I think you would have to add dry ice to make that happen?
I've been thinking about some sticky buns, too. Please let us know how yours turn out, if you decide to make them. Bawdy--Have fun in the "lab" and also please report on anything wonderful and exciting that you come up with. I tried something a couple of days ago (although it still needs work) with a Carbquik casserole. My bright idea was to make something along the lines of a chicken/broccoli impossible pie, but replace the milk with the Carb Monitor southwestern chicken enchilda soup. Tossed my chicken/onions/broccoi with a bit of the soup (to flavor it), and then made the regular topping with eggs, Carbquik, and a cup of the soup. The flavor was fantastic, but I almost had to burn the topping to get it done underneath. Thought it looked done, but when I took it out of the oven--it was still wet on the bottom of the crusty part. Will try it again (probably) but will use a lower oven temperature or maybe another bright idea will occur to me.. If I get it worked out just right, I will post the recipe.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 06:31

Plan: Atkins - Modified...
Stats: 390/285.4/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess M
The flavor was fantastic, but I almost had to burn the topping to get it done underneath. Thought it looked done, but when I took it out of the oven--it was still wet on the bottom of the crusty part. Will try it again (probably) but will use a lower oven temperature or maybe another bright idea will occur to me..
Perhaps if you bake the casserole for a while before adding the topping? Then the heat from the bottom would help cook the topping. Another possibility would be to bake the topping separately and just place it on top of the casserole for the last few minutes of baking... Sort of the reverse of blind-baking a pie crust...

Cheers, Mike
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 09:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:

Quote:
One thing, I hated their pancake recipe on the box. I just add egg and water and it makes a fine pancake or waffle batter.

I made the pancake recipe this morning also and wasn't terribly impressed. My kids didn't like them, either. To get a 'pourable' batter, I had to add a lot more water than the recipe called for so next time I'll probably use less mix and just mix in the water and egg to get the consistency that I want. I may also try adding a bit of Splenda to counteract the salty taste of the mix.
I also made the berry cobbler which was a bit hit with 3 out of the 4 members of my family topped with CarbSmart vanilla ice cream, so that's a keeper.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 10:05
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

When I made the pancakes instead of adding more water I used some Vanilla divinci. Kids seemed to like it.

Angel
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 10:54

BF:

Had a major change of plans this weekend, so I decided to make a pot of chili for the week. Not terribly low carb (though I used only half the beans), but since I don't eat hardly any carbs for my other meals, I think I can get away with this.

Soooooooo, I've decided to make the cheddar cheese biscuits to go with it. Then tomorrow morning I'm going to try the coffee cake.

Wish me luck!

PS: I was wondering about the "impossible pie" Bisquick recipe, too. I'll wait for further experiments, though!