Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 07:17

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default CarbQuick or MiniCarb Biscuit Mix -- Anyone tried them?

I haven't been able to find the CarbQuick mix, but did find the MiniCarb mix at Wal-Mart the other day. I made up a batch today. Very oily and yucky.

The mix called for 1 cup dry mix, 2/3 cup heavy cream, 1/3 cup oil, 1/4 cup butter, and 2 eggs. That's a lot of fat, if you know what I mean! It's not that I'm afraid of the fat, it's just that the biscuits turned out a little greasy.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I think I'll make them again, but maybe leave out the oil. And maybe add a tablespoon of Splenda. The mix makes 6 muffins at 1 ECC each.

Is the CarbQuick better?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 07:26

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

LIke night and day. Carbquick is an amazing product with so many uses. I am on a re-induction right now and the thing I miss MOST is being able to incorporate Carbquick. 1 week and 3 days until I go back to "regular" LC WOE. You can order it online at netrition.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 08:37

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Carbquik is great. I don't have an opinion on the Minicarb stuff since I've never tried it.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 17:12

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Carbquick is fantastic! I usually order it from Netrition. I've never seen it in a store. It is well worth the few dollars shipping. Get the big box!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 18:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I've tried the MiniCarb...I didn't care for it. But, if you find it too greasy (I had the same problem when I made them) you might try subbing Carb Countdown Milk for the Heavy Cream and Butter for the oil or maybe even playing with the proportion of Mix:Cream:Oil. Many LC mixes do not make a batter with good consistency using the suggested proportions.

I haven't tried the CarbQuick. It originally contained Partially Hydrogenated Oils, but somebody on this board said they'd removed them and were in the process of changing the packaging. I'll try some once they change the packaging to reflect the absence of PH Oils.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 19:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/108/110 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/25%/22%
Progress: 104%

cc,

Done and done--just got my order of Carbquik the other day and the box says in big letters "NO TRANS FATS!" Also, there are no PH oils in the ingredients list.

Can't wait to use it--think I will start with a coffee cake.

Lucy
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 20:16

BF:

OK, you guys win. I just placed an order for two 3-pound packages of CarbQuick. Tomorrow morning, though, I plan to try the MiniCarb again, this time without the oil and with a bit of Splenda.

I noticed on the netrition.com page, there's a link to a bunch of recipes using CarbQuick. They sound so good, I can't wait until my order comes in!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 03:59

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Bawdy--I bought 2 3# boxes of the Carbquik a few weeks ago, and have just gotten around to trying a few things with it. This wasn't my first order, but I used up the first box by experimenting with a few things--some that didn't come out so great. If you like the cheesy garlic biscuits, I think you will like the recipe they give for them. They are closer to "regular" than the other things that I've tried. Don't expect them to rise much, though! You will need to make them as high as you want them to be when done. Even then, they flatten a bit as they cool. Next time I will try adding a bit of extra baking powder to the dry mix first, to see if it will make a difference. I'm also going to leave out the garlic, because I'd rather have a breakfast type biscuit--however, the cheese stays! I think it makes the biscuits much more "homey" tasting. It's also good to thicken gravy (if you're into gravy over your meats). My next experiment will be a pie crust (for chicken pot pie). My opinion is that there is a bit of a learning curve in using it. Just have to go by trial and error. Hope that you will like it!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 07:37

BF:

Thanks, Tess!

I think I'll steer clear of the garlic as well, but the cheese sounds intriguing.

I have a new batch of the MiniCarb biscuits in the oven right now. Since the first batch was greasy, I left out the oil altogether.

Do you find that the proportions of ingredients listed on the box (CarbQuick) are accurate? Do you tweak at all?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 09:10

Plan: Atkins - Modified...
Stats: 390/285.4/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

I've tried both the MiniCarb Biscuit Mix and the CarbQuik Mix (everyone here is spelling it CarbQuick, but I'm assuming that we are talking about the same product). The MiniCarb biscuits were horrible I'd be interested in hearing how the "no oil" batch turns out, but I suspect it won't help much. The biscuits we made were oily but they also had this "funny" other flavour/texture thing going on that we didn't like either. CarbQuik on the other hand is wonderful! I've only made the garlic-cheese biscuits with the CarbQuik so far but they were great with the low-carb stew. I'm getting my CarbQuik from www.lowcarbfooddepot.ca .
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 09:35

BF:

Oops! My fault. It's Carbquik, not CarbQuick, but I believe we're all talking about the same thing.

The MiniCarb muffins without the oil were much better. I made them smaller, too. The recipe says it makes 6 biscuits, but I made 10. There's still an odd taste, though not too bad. Next time I'll add a tablespoon of Splenda, which I think will do the trick.

My dog liked them, anyway! I had one with breakfast, and left the rest on the counter to cool. By the time I got back into the kitchen, he had eaten 5! Sure hope they don't have any sort of poopy effect, if you know what I mean!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 09:39

BF:

Hey, I just noticed this thread got moved. I was thinking about notifying the Administrators that maybe it should be moved, but they read my mind. Cool!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 04:19

BF:

Bawdy--I've used the Minicarb, too--and didn't like it for the biscuits either. Never thought of giving them to the dog.. It did work for other things, though. I noticed the odd taste, too--and I think that the Carbquik is a bit like that, in it's own way. It's definitely NOT exactly like using flour, but it's a whole lot better than nothing if you want a biscuit. Dressing it up really helps! Cheese, herbs, etc. help a lot, and I really like your idea about using a touch of Splenda. I will try that next time. I think I might try a batch of muffins today. The lemon muffin recipe appeals to me, but I'll be sure to keep it to a single batch (just in case they aren't as good as they look). I'm thinking that using half Carbquik and half almond flour for the dry ingredients might be a good idea. I love the fullness and richness that almond flour creates. On your question about whether the recipe amounts are reliable--I think so, but I've never in my life made a recipe "by the book", so tweaking to suit will certainly work. Also, I saw another low carb flour at the grocery the other day--Bob's Red Mill. I like their products in general, and might just try a small bag of it, to compare. Will post on it, if it turns out to be a "miracle product"..
BTW-- You look wonderful! 152! Woo-hoo!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 07:54

BF:

Thanks for the compliment, Tess! I'm afraid I'm a bit higher than 152 at the moment, but still in the 150s, I think. I still fit into my size 10s (which I even had to have taken in recently because they were too loose), but now they're a little snug, which means I was probably on my way to a size 8, but now solidly in a size 10. Oh well, I've caught the slide and landed on my feet!

Bob's Red Mill is a good line. I tend to like things made with almond meal better as well. The first ingredient listed in the MiniCarb mix is soy protein isolate. That should have been a giveaway. I don't like anything made with this. Many shake mixes are made with this, and I've made recipes that call for the shake mix. Whenever I use a shake mix made with this, I dislike the taste of the finished product.

Here are the ingredients listed for Carbquik:
Ingredients: Carbalose flour (enzyme-modified wheat, vital wheat gluten, wheat fiber, unbleached patent wheat flour, vegetable fiber, canola oil, salt, emulsifiers, enzymes, ascorbic acid, sucralose, calcium propionate), palm oil, buttermilk powder, baking powder, egg white powder, lecithin, salt, natural and artificial flavors.
And apparently no trans fats. Sounds better.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 08:53

BF:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/...&product_ID=536

Here's a link to the Bob's Red Mill nutritional info page. Pretty interesting, and 14 g protein per 1/4 cup. Although it lists turbinado sugar and crystalline fructose--the sugar content is listed as 0 (must be very tiny amounts?). I also noticed that soy is way down at the bottom of the list--which is a very good thing, IMO...