Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 22:29
Cast Iron Chef

Plan: lc, higher protein
Stats: 170/132/127 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Stewed Chicken - or chicken stew?

Stewed Chicken - or chicken stew? Depends how you like to serve the meat...
6 Servings

3.5 pound chicken, cut up
8 oz. chicken or andouille sausage, sliced into rounds.
4 T olive oil
1 large onion, slivered
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced (I used crimini)
8 oz. cauliflower florets, cut into small pieces
1 large (28 oz./800g) can whole peeled tomatoes and their juice (crush the tomatoes with your hands as you add them).
1 qt. chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, grated
2 green peppers, seeded and cut into strips
Emeril's Creole seasoning

In a heavy stew pot over medium heat, heat 2T of the olive oil. Brown the neck, giblets, heart and the sausage. (The sausage I bought was raw, so I had to brown it whole first, then slice it and brown the slices, or else it would have fallen apart). While that is browning, cut up the chicken and sprinkle all sides liberally with Emeril's Creole seasoning, and a little extra salt if desired. Remove the sausage, etc. from the pan and set aside. Brown the chicken thoroughly in batches. Remove and set aside. Saute the onions for a few minutes, then add the mushrooms and saute for another few minutes. Add the cauliflower, mix all together, then add the chicken and sausage back into the pot, the tomatoes and chicken broth or stock. Cover and simmer over low heat for about an hour.

About 10 minutes before serving, heat the remaining 2T olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the grated garlic - watch carefully as it will burn easily. When it is sizzling, add the green pepper strips. Cook together, tossing frequently, until the pepper has browned slightly. Add to the stew pot. Doing the peppers separately at the end like this allows them to retain their integrity, rather than disintegrating into mush.

If you want, you can remove the bones and shred the meat before serving. Or just place your preferred piece of chicken in a shallow bowl and surround with several ladlefuls of the vegetables and liquid.

Serve topped with a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.

I have found it impossible to calculate the calorie count accurately, because I didn't know how to calculate the chicken in FitDay. I didn't use a stewing chicken (partly because they don't exist much any more), and I don't think I even used a "roaster" - but who knows? I finally chose "chicken, broilers or fryers, meat and skin and giblets and neck, raw", and used the default of one chicken (after all, that's what I used). Whatever.

The carb count is doable, though: 16g carb, of which 4g fiber, for an ECC of 12g per serving, assuming 6 servings for the whole dish. (This does not include any carbs from the spices or the cheese, which would add one or two net.)
Sponsored Links