Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 18:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/205.4/125 Female 63
BF:38/36/22
Progress: 14%

I would think in your case you should eat the biggest meal when you're going to be awake the longest, since the premise of this is to have less food in your stomach when you are at your most relaxed and/or sleeping. In your case, it might work better for you to have your eating schedule 'normal.'

Big 'breakfast' (or dinner!) before work, 'lunch' while at work, and a very light 'breakfast' (or dinner) when you get home, before bed. Or, even better, eat your last meal while you're still at work so your body has plenty of time to digest it before sleeping.
The point behind it is to basically go to bed with an empty stomach so that you don't have to digest anything when your metabolic rate is running it's slowest, and hence can burn more fat.
Glad to have you with us! Please post your results if you decide to do this! :-D
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 22:31

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I just started this today but I wanted you to know that I am trying this. Carb ups did not work for me at all. I had planned on redoing induction while I was off work for the 2 week winter break, so this is a good time to do this. I was also thinking that I will probably be eating around 20 grams of carbs anyway this way. So could this be considered a modified induction? One thing for sure, it was very easy waiting 4 hours between meals. When I am working, I actually eat 4 meals a day. That is because I eat breakfast so early ( 6:00 AM ). By 10:00 I am hungry and this is when I eat lunch. Work is done around 2:30 and I am ready to eat again-not snack-but a meal. Dinner is usually ready between 6:00 and 8:00. This schedule cannot be helped due to my work schedule and the kids' schedule. But if this change works, I might begin making a big breakfast but not eating it until I can get a 15 minute break, at about 9:00.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 23:03

black, it should be fine for you to have snacks in between your meals, too. The only 'rules' I've really encountered for this to make it work is:

Breakfast - King
Lunch - Prince
Dinner - Pauper

That, and NO snacking of any kind after (depending on what time you go to bed) either 6 PM or perhaps 7 PM (if that works for you.)
I have seen some that even go as far as stopping all eating after 4:30 or 5 PM but I can't hack it for that long, because I'm always up until at least 1 AM. I've had to stave off hunger for the last few days so I've been having tea at night, or something else hot to fill myself up.

I too am doing a 'modified induction' in that I eat no more than 20 grams of carbs a day, and I stick to all induction friendly foods except for lc tortillas, which I think I'm going to cut out to see if that's something that's slowing me down.
Plus, I find that I eat less carbs/calories this way because breakfast foods seem to 'cost' less carbs than dinner foods do, and the bulk of my calories are being burned off during the day, so the calories aren't as important as they would be if I ate a huge meal at night. Then sat down to relax, then went to bed, etc. Not giving my body a chance to burn them off before sleeping.
This way, the stomach is empty, so when you're burning the least amount of calories you aren't processing any foods.

Additionally, if you are always feeding your family between 6 and 8, but you go to bed around 11 or so (for example), then you wouldn't want to have too much if any food in your stomach. Since dinner is usually only something like a cup of veggies, or salad, and maybe some protein (like a small piece of meat, or cheese, etc.) is it possible for you to eat that while you're getting dinner ready for the fam? Or a way you can eat your dinner earlier at least?
If not, I wouldn't think it would be TOO much of a problem because you'll still be cutting out the bulk of the meal by eating the biggest one in the morning..it might work slower, but it should still work ok for you!

My big problem is that I am a BIGTIME night eater! I LOVE eating a big dinner and snacking late at night. I've broken myself of that habit, but still get hungry sometimes. So I compromise and have sf hot chocolate or tea. Seems to help stave off the cravings.

Please post when you see how it works for you, I'd love to see how many people have success with this!
Good luck! :-)
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 00:09

BF:

Well DH cooks dinner and we always eat as a family. If we don't get home until 7:30, we still have a sit down dinner. But atleast I did eat only 3xs today and lunch was pretty small. Dinner was small but I am afraid it was too big. I had a pork chop and 4 aspargus spears. We'll see.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 07:48

Stats: 266.5/209/199 Female 5' 7"
BF:50%/40%/30%
Progress: 85%

Hi guys,

I've been lurking around this thread lately and I wanted to let everyone know that its been working for me. I'd already been trying to limit snacks after dinner and not eating after 7 or 8 pm, but dinner was by far my biggest meal. Since Saturday, I've stopped eating after 6pm and (I think this has made more of a difference) tried to change the proportionality of my meals. I try to eat roughly half of my daily calories for breakfast and the remaining half for lunch/dinner. At first it was hard, but now I wake up hungry and ready to eat. Anyway, since doing this, I have lost 3 lbs! I don't know exactly what has been helping this week, but this definetly seems to be working for me!
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 09:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm going to give this a try. I've always found that a big breakfast kills my appetite until mid-afternoon. Lets see what happens.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 10:11

Glad to hear people are having success with this! To all the losers!!!!

I am down 2 lbs this morning, I'm thrilled to report!

Murrie, congrats on the loss!

black, that doesn't sound like too much, actually. That sounds about right. I usually stick with a cup of veggies because I'm just not hungry at dinner time, but if I find myself a bit more hungry than usual, I'll throw some protein in there in the form of a hamburger, or a piece of chicken, etc.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 10:42

BF:

I am so glad I found this forum so that I have friends to share ideas. Do you people really exist? Everyone I know who is on Atkins are not really in it. They do it when it is convenient for them. I know that the girl at work is not on Atkins because it is Christmas time. It is time for her to jump off of it.

I did not lose anything but I think that there are some things that I can change to help me out a bit. There are boxes of candy and cookies that were given as gifts sitting on my table. There are more lying under the tree. I didn't eat alot of them but I probably ate more than I should have. I am having my favorite breakfast...steak and eggs and I am gonna try an Asian restaurant that has low carb foods while I am out xmas shopping. I am gonna make babecued chicken ( I will use low carb sauce for me and regular for the family ) and mustard greens ( I lovem ! ). I will probably snack on gouda and pepperoni.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 11:15
Registered Member

Stats: 207/193/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeca
Hey all,

I have been testing out this theory that I found on another forum I frequent, and I have been having TERRIFIC results with it! I was really STUCK in a stall for the last month, couldn't lose a single 1/10th of a pound. I got so fed up until I tried this.....

If you are having trouble breaking a stall (or going up and down the same couple pounds), or just want to lose more, try eating breakfast as your biggest meal of the day, and eating dinner as if it were breakfast. I did this for the first time on Monday night, and immediately the next morning I weighed myself and I was down TWO pounds after being stuck for a month! It really WORKS!!!

I belong to that same group on the "other" forum. I'm Harrykins.

And I totally agree with you entire post. I see great things for my weight lose in the months ahead if I keep to this Pauper Plan.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 11:47

black, yep, we really DO exist!

I find it SO funny when people claim to be doing Atkins then say in the same breath that they're 'going off of it' for the holidays...I feel like saying, um, NEWSFLASH, that's not DOING Atkins, that's silly!

scarpetta (aka harrykins) Hey!! I didn't know you frequent this forum! Cool!
I too see great things ahead if we stick to this! Nearly everyone is having awesome results with it! I'm so excited, and even more excited to be spreading the word about it, I hope it helps many others too!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 12:41

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 211/198/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeca
WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm SO glad to hear it's working for you! Wow, I'm excited, this could really be something that will help a lot of people out! Congrats on breaking out of your stall, and your 5 lb loss!!

Thank you, it is really exciting to lose again.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 12:43
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

I'm trying this out this week too. I started on Sunday, I'll "report back" next Sunday and we'll see what happens I don't usually snack after dinner anyway unless I'm REALLY hungry so that won't be a problem. The last 3 days I've easily gone until after noon without getting hungry. I usually have been eating 3 very small mini-meals at work but I didn't yesterday, I only ate 2 of them. Today I won't eat any of them since I forgot them Luckily the department went out for Christmas lunch today so I did get lunch and I won't be famished when I get home (Olive Garden, I had the chicken ceasar salad and nothing else).

Debbie
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 23:39

Plan: Low Carb Style
Stats: 155/130/122 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 76%

Hey everyone,
Im down 3 lbs from last Friday, just thought I would share. Has anyone noticed a change in there appettite as well? Breakfast is usually at 9am for me and I don't *feel* hungry until around 2pm, the I can hold out until 7-8 pm at night with no snacks.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Dec-22-04, 09:52

BF:

Dylan that is how it has worked for me. I can go shopping without the urge to stop at a restaurant. Plus I found a nice Asian restaurant that will substitute its rice for extra veggies. I am seeing some results but I won't comment until Sunday.

Merry Low Carb Christmas,
Black57
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Dec-22-04, 14:58

Plan: atkins/Thurmond
Stats: 208/151.6/128 Female 5' 3"
BF:??/32.6%/25%
Progress: 71%

I am going to try this! I have been losing steadily after a 6 week stall- but I am finding my self very hungry at dinner and have to make sure I don't pig out! I have 3 1/2 weeks at home until next my next classes start so I can really try this out, may have to adjust when I go back to school but we'll see what happens!! I am also going to tell my friend who is having serious issues not pigging out!!