Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Would I Make A Free Call for Future Access to Liquid Splenda?
Yes, Right Away! 413 79.27%
As Soon As I Can... 67 12.86%
Maybe Next Week... 27 5.18%
Absolutely Not! 14 2.69%
Voters: 521. You may not vote on this poll

#46   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 12:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Low Glycemic
Stats: 203/199/125
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Zero Carb sweeteners

I just tried to call the 1800 number. Today is Sunday (whoops!), so I'll call tomorrow. In the mean time, I will visit their website and request there.

I know that Dr. Ann de Wees Allen (Glycemic Research Institute) is not a proponent of the Atkins diet, but she does have zero carb/low glycemic sweeteners on her website:
http://www.anndeweesallen.com
under "Dr. Allen's Products."

She also has zero carb sweetened coffee and tea. I think she also has an energy drink. I haven't tried it yet but I think I'll order some to try it.

The article she has on the coffee/caffeine
thermogenic connection was quite interesting.

I have ordered the Trutina Dulcem sweetener and it tastes like sugar. A little goes a long way. I think I'll order the Ki-Sweet also. Let you know how it tastes...

Misuzu
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 14:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/234/160
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Be careful, this isn't zero carb

The site very carefully does not claim that this is zero carb, rather that it has a zero glycemic response. I did a search and found a site that says it has just under 5 g of carbohydrates per teaspoon, which is the same as sugar.

There was also a legal battle going on between Dr. Allen and Suzanne Somers over Somersweet, a product with similar claims. Do a search for Somersweet and fructose to find out more about it.

Susan
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 15:00
Registered Member

BF:
Default You are correct....

Susan,

You are correct. The product has zero GLYCEMIC RESPONCE, NOT zero carbs.

I did not know about the conflict between Dr. Allen and S. Sommers. Thanks for the info, I'll look into it.
What is Sommersweet? What are the ingredients?

Misuzu
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 21:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/234/160
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Somersweet/Trutina Dulcem

There are some posts about Somersweet on the site--just click the search button at the top of the page, and type it in. I mentioned Somersweet and the legal thing, because the products appear to be very similar (one is based on kiwi, the other on a fruit called lo han), so reservations people have expressed about one would probably apply to the other.

Susan
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 01:38
Registered Member

BF:
Smile I'll check it out!

Hi Susan!

I went to Suzanne Sommers website. I wanted to try the SommerSweet but they are back ordered on the product.

I went to Target today and found a diabetic sweetener called"DiabetiSweet"
The ingredients are: Isomalt and Acesulfame-K.

I checked the Sugar and Sweeteners Report and they are both low glycemic.

I hope it tastes good.... I'll let you know.

OK, I'm going to the SommerSweet thread!

Talk to you soon!
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 09:21

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 120/115/105
BF:
Progress: 33%
Question

Hi! I'm newly registered here and found the forum during an online search for liquid Splenda. Someone mentioned being able to get liquid Splend online from Brazil. Does anyone know a website that source for liquid Splenda online? Thanks!
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 19:26
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Welcome

Wade,

Welcome to the forumn. If anyone know where to get it well be these ladies.

Donna
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 13:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Hi, Wate, and welcome.

No new news, but I do recommend you read ALL of this conversational thread about the Liquid Splenda. Then you will have your answer.

Enjoy!
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 15:27

BF:
Unhappy I got a reply from Splenda

I e-mailed Splenda through their website telling them what a benefit liquid Splenda would be to low carb dieters and this is an exerpt of their reply: "Although we do sell a liquid form of SPLENDA (TM) No Calorie Sweetener in other countries,
SPLENDA (TM) Granular and Packets have been overwhelmingly popular and are the preferred forms among consumers in the United States. "

Hard to know how they know its preferred when they have never offered it here. Must something they got from some focus group. Go figure!
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 10:45
Pending Member

BF:
Thumbs down Hard to believe

It is hard to believe that companies think they know what ccnsumers prefer. I have ask my local grocery store to order more low carb food and the manager said it would not be profitable for them. I try to explain that thier is a growing population of lo carb dieter or people watching their diabetes. West Virginia is number one in the nation with the population dying of complication of this disease. It is hard to believe that money has overruled the benefits of such products as liquid splenda. Well I am sorry to ramble but I feel better getting it off my chest.
Thanks,
Donna
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 11:54

BF:

After giving up my search for liquid Splenda, (I even went to yahoo, Brazil to try to find a place that sells it but no luck) I ordered some sugar free syrups from naturesflavors.com. I ordered a chocolate and a vanilla. They are sweetened Splenda and have no carbs. I got them today at work and just used the chocolate to sweeten my coffee. Not bad at all--it makes a pretty good mocha. I'm going to try to fiddle with some recipes to see how they work in sweetening other things--maybe cheesecake. Now I'm wondering what flavor syrup would be good in ice tea! I'll have to look at the fruit syrups--maybe peach or raspberry.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 16:59
Pending Member

BF:
Default flavored ice tea

Hi Wate and welcome to the forumn. I too have searched the internet for sugar free splenda and haven't found it yet. I love the DeVinci syrups(sugar free). They are wonderful. My favorite is raspberry. I use the chocolate and raspberry together with coffee, splenda and cream. It is out of this world.

For flavored ice tea get Bigelow herbal tea and place five bags in hot water and let stand about 5 minutes. It is a very nice treat. I love the peach myself.

Well better go for now.
Donna
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 20:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default sucralose with no filler (!)

Check out this VERY interesting post over in the LowCarb Kitchen, here's a direct link to the post:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...?threadid=35388
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 09:49

BF:
Smile Thanks!

Wow! I'd searched the web every way I could think of and had come up empty. I was sure it wasn't out there. Thanks so much. I've already ordered.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 12:13
Registered Member

Stats: 166/159/132
BF:
Progress: 21%

I emailed them, does that count??