Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-04, 21:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/190/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

Two additional points:

I do not believe alcohol is allowed on induction. Therefore a person does not have to be using alcohol to an abuse level to be in denial about alcohol and induction.

Second, the PETA people are really too marginal in our culture to be the enemy. A far more worthy enemy of us all is the supermarket industry and their desire to sell us cheap junk foods with high profit margins that are harming our health. This applies to all of us who consume these products and not just those of us who are overweight.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 14:13
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Actually, point number three on that list controls my binge eating, so for me it is an ED treatment. Why would eating healthy, nutritious foods that satisfy one's appetite and stabilize blood sugar be considered an ED?
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 15:12
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrottop
However, I have read many posts, and while I wouldn't want to label anyone disfunctional, I have seen some pretty strange obsessive attitudes. You all can comment or not on whether these signal ED.

I've seen the very same disturbing things and obsessive attitudes.I have many thoughts, theories and opinions regarding these trends.

1. People who weight 110 and want to lose 10 more pounds.

I've seen these people come to the board in a panic and ask if 2 celery sticks was too many carbs?!?! I don't think they have as many problems as the people who always grab that cat's tail when it wags

2. People who go on drinking significant quantities of alcohol yet claim they are doing induction.

They'd do themselves more good finding a seat in an AA meeting regardless of how big the chair needs to be And maybe food is part of the problem and maybe drinking isn't. I hear overeaters tend to overdo a lot of things. *shrug*

3. People who use induction as a way of life.

Well, I'm glad someone quoted Atkins on this one and here's why. Atkins does give you "permission" to remain on induction level carbs. And most do, because they are losing so fast and are getting the lack of hunger side effect of ketosis. I did. Its also why so many people lose substanial amounts of weight before they "slip." Once they finally do crack and eat higher carbs, they find that they can't control their hunger the same way they did on induction levels. There are so many reasons why this will not work in the long-run. First, because I believe for most people, they'll eventually "cheat" and attempt to get back on, and how does one get "back on" Atkins? Uh huh, induction. As so the cycle begins. They never had to control what they ate, except for carbs. If I wanted to eat large amounts of steak one day, I did. However, how was that changing any of my previous habits? It wasn't. I was changing food, not ME.

4. People who think calories don't count.

Its all part of the demonizing food aspect. WHAT you eat counts, not how much. You are reminded of that over and over in Atkins book.

5. People who think the PETA people are THE ENEMY.

Or people who think carbs are. Those who believe in their hearts that eating a carrot would be like shoveling down a doughnut.

6. People describe what they are eating and ignore the fact that they are consuming great quantities of fat.

I can remember eating my 2 burgers with cheese sand bun while watcing a lady eat her nice shiny apple at lunch and thinking "she doesn't even know she's killing herself!"

7. People who regard in attack on Atkins as a form of terrorism.

Trust me, make sure you have your body armour on before you make even an unpopular comment regarding your opinion against low-carb dieting.

9. People who seem to have no life beyond their food restriction/consumption.

I once heard that for every habit we have, there is time and effort involved. That in order to replace any habit, a bad habit in this case, you have to replace it with something else to fill the void. Some people do that simply with #9.

10. People who think all fats are created equal or all carbs are created equal.

Well, not so much that as they dont see a place in their life for all foods and moderation.

I don't know about ED, but, hey, denial sure does exist here.
There's more than just those 10 that is disturbing. How about the ones that want to share a good way of cheating, such as chew n spit? Or how about
the fact that "I'm losing my hair" is a regular topic? Or I'm weak and have leg cramps? Or the loss of TOM?
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 15:33
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mio1996
Actually, point number three on that list controls my binge eating, so for me it is an ED treatment. Why would eating healthy, nutritious foods that satisfy one's appetite and stabilize blood sugar be considered an ED?

Mio, you choices are your own and only you live inside your body and can make those choices. Probably staying on induction is less of a problem than constantly going on and off it if this results in your weight yo-yoing. But I have to question whether or not a way of eating that excludes two foods with some of our best antioxidants is in most people's long term best interests. These are nuts and berries.

I wonder if some people are on induction long term because they are dependent upon induction. I only did induction for a month but found it did not stop my cravings and the weight came back. For me personally, a more moderate approach to carbs works better, both for my mood and my appetite. Now I sometimes eat low carb bread and even beans without going back to my previous habit of binging. I have control and that is what matters to me.

Have you examined the types of fat you are consuming? (In other words, did you read the links I posted. )
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 15:36
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IthinkIcan
[/font]There's more than just those 10 that is disturbing. How about the ones that want to share a good way of cheating, such as chew n spit? Or how about
the fact that "I'm losing my hair" is a regular topic? Or I'm weak and have leg cramps? Or the loss of TOM?

That is all true, but I think that could happen on ANY diet that causes rapid weight loss. I have heard of those same symptoms in female athletes who weren't even dieting but their intake of nutrients was not balanced with their expendiature of energy.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 16:45

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IthinkIcan
[/font]There's more than just those 10 that is disturbing. How about the ones that want to share a good way of cheating, such as chew n spit? Or how about

IthinkIcan, you're likely to find those topics of discussion on any board that has weight loss as a focus, including WW boards. I posted a link in another thread recently to a WW board thread that was discussing hair loss.
Unfortunately, any forum that discusses weight loss is going to attract its share of eating disordered individuals. That doesn't mean that the eating plan caused the ED, but more that those with ED are attracted to weight loss forums. Good grief! There are entire support forums on the internet for anorexics and bulemics to encourage each other in continuing that behavior.
What I find frustrating and a little disturbing is when members are trying to tell someone who is already below a good weight for their reported height and/or body frame that they don't need to lose any more weight and others come along with a "you go, girl...keep losing!" post.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 16:56
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

When you consider that a lot of weight loss is vanity driven, it is no minor thing to lose hair.

I think those forums where the anorexics and bulimics encourage each other are a true sign of how sick our society is when it comes to the female image. It reminds me of Sylvia Plath's line "The woman is perfected" refering to suicide.

Quote:
What I find frustrating and a little disturbing is when members are trying to tell someone who is already below a good weight for their reported height and/or body frame that they don't need to lose any more weight and others come along with a "you go, girl...keep losing!" post.

Yes, these really bother me as well. I am not even sure we should be encouraging people to lose weight so much as we should be encouraging people to be well and make sound choices. How can we really judge what is right for another when it comes to weight issues. Weight issues are weighty. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) By this I mean they carry the freight of family issues, image issues, and perhaps all kinds of personal stuff that means we should really tread carefully. For the most part though, I do see people on this site being pretty considerate of each other. Politics aside.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 17:56

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
When you consider that a lot of weight loss is vanity driven, it is no minor thing to lose hair.

Carrottop, while hair loss can be disturbing it doesn't automatically mean that something is seriously wrong with what a person is eating. Hair loss can be caused by a variety of things, including emotional stress, physical stress (such as weight loss), hormone changes (as in post pregnancy or menopause/perimenopause) and hormone imbalances such as hypothyroid as well as malnutrition. It can be genetic, even in women. It's always wise to check out unusual hair loss with your doctor, but really it's completely normal to lose some hair every day (estimates run 200-300 strands as normal).
As I mentioned before, even dieters following what would be considered by most to be a "reasonably balanced" diet such as Weight Watchers sometimes report hair loss as a side effect.

Quote:
I am not even sure we should be encouraging people to lose weight so much as we should be encouraging people to be well and make sound choices. How can we really judge what is right for another when it comes to weight issues.

Most people are here because they are overweight and want support in losing that excess weight, so I believe that encouraging members in that respect is very appropriate and helpful. Yes, every now and then an eating disordered person comes along looking for a new way to lose still more weight but they are fairly rare and usually don't hang around too long once members start telling them that they are already too thin.
The focus of this forum is more than just weight loss. It's about healthy eating, healthy choices and a healthy body, not just a thinner one. In that respect, no I can't judge what is right for another person but goal weight is just one thing to consider when reading posts from a person who is already very thin. It doesn't take reading too many posts from some people to see that they have issues with body image or are drastically reducing calories/excercising excessively in an attempt to get *even thinner* all the time saying that they feel fat or hate their bodies. Those are the members that I encourage to stop and think about what they are doing to their bodies while pursuing an unrealistic goal. It may not change their minds, but at least it gives them something to think about.
Our society does have an unrealistic image of what is considered beautiful and unfortunately, there are those who are killing themselves, literally, to attain it.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 18:02
Glutton for Grease!

Quote:
Mio, you choices are your own and only you live inside your body and can make those choices. Probably staying on induction is less of a problem than constantly going on and off it if this results in your weight yo-yoing. But I have to question whether or not a way of eating that excludes two foods with some of our best antioxidants is in most people's long term best interests. These are nuts and berries.

I wonder if some people are on induction long term because they are dependent upon induction. I only did induction for a month but found it did not stop my cravings and the weight came back. For me personally, a more moderate approach to carbs works better, both for my mood and my appetite. Now I sometimes eat low carb bread and even beans without going back to my previous habit of binging. I have control and that is what matters to me.

Have you examined the types of fat you are consuming? (In other words, did you read the links I posted. )

Actually, I must say that I don't actually live on induction. It's more like a modified induction. I am not really an Atkins follower, since I believe that grains, legumes, and vegetable oils are generally off limits for healthy eating. I do, however, keep my carbohydrate intake very low, most days around 20 grams. I rarely eat anything more carby than green vegetables or nuts. Unfortunately after 4 years I still have found no way to stop the almost constant cravings I have, but they are much more tolerable when my carb level is very low.

I haven't yet read the links you posted, but I have thought at length about fats. After all, they are about 70% or so of my diet every day so good fats are very important to me. I have long known that vegetable oils such as corn and soybean oil are a very new addition to the human diet, much newer even than refined carbohydrate. Therefore I keep my consumption of them as low as possible. The same is true for any hyrogenated oil. Most of my fats come from animal fat, tropical oils, and some highly monounsaturated oils such as olive oil.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Nov-24-04, 15:14
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi mio,

As long as you are not deep frying or using the wrong fats at too high a heat then you probably aren't consuming too many transfats. As long as you are getting some Omega 3 fish and maybe some organic eggs, then you should be doing great.

Can't say I agree with you on the evils or grains and legumes (beyond the the problems presented by their high carb content) but I would certainly be interested in hearing your point of view.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Nov-24-04, 15:50

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:

Carrottop, I agree with you about focusing on helath rather than weight. I've lost a fair amount of weight on low carb, my wife is losing only very slowly and it sometimes frustrates her. But I tell her that she is eating healthy, and this is making her healthy reagardless of her weight. So we stick to a healthy, reasonable low carb approach and don't worry about doing tricks to get past a stall.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Nov-24-04, 16:03
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I am slowly losing too Tom. Very slowly. But I am over 50 and figure I could hurt myself if I do anything fast.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Nov-24-04, 20:24
Glutton for Grease!

Quote:
Hi mio,

As long as you are not deep frying or using the wrong fats at too high a heat then you probably aren't consuming too many transfats. As long as you are getting some Omega 3 fish and maybe some organic eggs, then you should be doing great.

Can't say I agree with you on the evils or grains and legumes (beyond the the problems presented by their high carb content) but I would certainly be interested in hearing your point of view.

I never deep fry and never turn the stovetop to any setting above low medium. Oxidized fats are bad news!

Refusal to eat grains or legumes is a defining trait of a paleo-style diet such as Neanderthin. The backbone of my diet philosophy is best described by the author of Neanderthin , Ray Audette. "Your body cannot require what in nature it cannot acquire." Grains and legumes are generally inedible raw, so that means to me that our species is very likely not well adapted to eat them. This is the lc philosophy that I choose to follow. Well, most of the time
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Nov-24-04, 21:59
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the info mio. If I may be so bold: Does some of this thinking have to a way of life? That is to say a philosophy? Or is it purely for health reasons?
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 14:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

About the hair loss thing, I remember in my Nutri/System days they warned us that if we lost weight too fast we might lose some hair. It is never an issue with me, I lose weight super slowly. That was considered a "healthy" weight loss diet back in those times (low fat, low calorie).