Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 19:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad

Simple and quick to make. I always make a similar dressing when I make cabbage salad, except I add sour cream to this one.

Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad

2.5 cups broccoli florets
2 cups caulfilower florets
1 small red onion or sometimes I use a couple slices from a big one (chopped)
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. Splenda
1 1/2 tsp. Vinegar

Salt and Pepper

Dash of Worcestershire

Combine broccoli, cauliflower and onion. In a separate bowl, stir together mayo and sour cream. Add Splenda, vinegar, salt and pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over veggies and toss.

Serves 4

Carbs - 34.3
Fibre - 10.8

Total Carbs = 23.5
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 20:12

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Don't let the carb count calculations discourage you..

thanks, I needed to hear that!

I'm keeping a food journal and bought a great scale to keep up with the carbs. But, I am the anti-detail person! so trying to do more than that just seems to derail (discourage) me. I'm just keeping it as simple as possible now. I'm keeping very close track of carbs and foods. I bought a pretty little journal to carry with me (it has dolphins on the cover and words of encouragement on each page) I write everything I eat down in it. At home I have it next to my carb counter book and write in the carb count.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 05:09

BF:
Progress:
Default counts

Eventually counting the carb ingredients exactly will come easier. We hope that all the recipes we post in the members recipe section has this information. Usually a member has figured out the carb count for themselves, so they have it available to post along with their recipe.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 10:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
But, I am the anti-detail person! so trying to do more than that just seems to derail (discourage) me.

As you go deeper and deeper into this WOL you will find that all the work you did in the beginning with learning calorie and fiber counts - and working this website! - has paid off. You will be much healthier, have lost weight and not have to manually count carbs because it will have become second nature to you. Look at the details as tools to building long term success!

Karen
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 10:57

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Cauliflower

Hi All

I finally got the recipe for Cauliflower from my mum. Now I need some help to make it LC

Here it is in original:

1 Cauliflower head
Lemon juice (about 2tblsp)
1 sugar cube

Breadcrumbs
1 packet of ham
4 hard boiled Eggs
200g Cream
3 tsp Flour
Salt
Nutmeg
Paprika
White Pepper
Cheese
Butter

Cook the whole head of Cauliflower in the water (with lemon juice and sugar) for 10-20mins

Pour water away and divide Cauliflower into florets .
Take a ovenproof dish and butter it. Cover in Breadcrumbs.
Put the cauliflower pieces in the form.
Cut the ham in small squares and put on top (cover about 0.5-1cm high)
Cut the eggs in quarters and put on top.
Mix the cream with the flour and the spices (to taste) and pour over.
Cover with grated cheese. put pieces of butter on top.
Put into the pre-heated oven at 220C for 15-20 mins.

Tastes yummy, but I don't think it is LC (breadcrumbs and flour)

Here is what I worked out with Fitday ( total recipe)

Cal: 1812
Fat: 132
Carb: 65
Prot: 96

Per serving:

Cal: 453
Fat: 33
Carb: 16.25
Prot: 24

I did count the sugar and lemonjuice as per recipe, but some of it will stay in the cooking water, so carb counts could be lower (I usually go by worst scenario). Still, this recipe needs tweaking. Any help appreciated ( preferably without pork rinds, as I hate the stuff)

Greetings
Sabine

Last edited by madpiano : Mon, Oct-15-01 at 11:02.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 20:37

BF:
Smile

ohhhh, Thanks Karen. You're the best at saying the most encouraging things.

Of course you're right.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 02:24

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Wonderful Winter Soup

Here is my wonderful winter soup:
Get out a big dutch oven or large, heavy pot. Cut up one onion, either diced or sliced. Cut a turnip into chunks, chop up a green bell pepper (and a yellow and red too, if you have them), if you eat carrots, peel and slice two or three, get a big bunch of greens, collard, kale, spinach, cabbage or chard, and chop it up, mince or press as many cloves of garlic as you like. Add all this to the pot.
Put in a can of whole tomatoes and 2-3 cups of chicken broth. Salt and pepper to taste. Throw in some Italian or Greek seasoning. The aroma will be fantastic! After it is cooked al dente, I begin to brown some ground beef in the skillet. Then I add it to the soup. Cook until vegetables are just tender. Or if you like it overcooked, that's fine too. Serve it piping hot with grated cheese all over the top. It is just so good you won't believe it.
I know the tomatoes are not for everyone, or the carrots. It can be made with just the broth, but the tomatoes are better. Any veggies you have on hand can be used. Bon Appetit!
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-01, 23:22

BF:
Default Oriental Spinach and tofu

I wanted to get this in before Oct. is over. (where has this month gone?) Here's something I created before my LC days. It's good hot or cold.

16 oz bag of frozen spinach
1/2 cup cubed firm tofu
2 TBS toasted sesame seeds (toasting your own in a heavy skillet insures that nothing has been added--like sugar)
4 TBS Toasted Sesame Seed Oil
2 TBS. Tamari or Soy Sauce

Cube the tofu into pieces no larger than 1". Heat the oil in a large frying pan to med. high. Brown the tofu cubes on all sides. Add the bag of frozen spinach and Tamari (or soy) Sauce. Mix well. Cook until the spinach is hot. Add the sesame seeds as a garnish.

Makes 6 servings
3.5 carbs per serving
150 calories per serving
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-01, 23:39
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Cool Baked Fennel, Two Ways

I love fennel, both raw and cooked. I found a recipe in an old diet cookbook .. so I jazzed it up, and added more fat of course! Since it's just me alone ... I only made half on one night, then the next time, I tried different ingredients for a different taste. I think I like #2 best. But they're both yummy. Also, I used Pecorino romano cheese, which is made from sheep's milk ... the extra zing really punches up the anise flavour of the fennel.
  • Baked Fennel with Olives

1 fennel bulb
    ½ cup chicken broth
    1 Tbsp olive oil or melted butter
    12 Greek olives (kalamata)
    freshly ground black pepper
    2 oz romano cheese, grated (parmesan will do)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • trim and slice the fennel, you should have approx. 3 cups slices. Save some of the feathery green herb leaves for garnish.
  • leave the olives whole, or remove pits and chop if desired
  • toss the fennel, olives, oil or butter and broth together; put into a buttered 8-inch casserole and season with pepper.
  • spread grated romano cheese over top, bake uncovered in 350°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or till fennel is soft and cheese is bubbly.
  • sprinkle with reserved fennel herb
  • serves 2 or 3, so divide the nutrient counts accordingly

for the whole recipe
    calories: 455
    Carbs: 20g / Fiber: 8g / 12g ECC
    Potein: 22g
    Fat: 34g

Baked Fennel with Capers

1 fennel bulb
    ½ cup chicken broth
    1 Tbsp olive oil or melted butter
    1 tsp dijon mustard
    2 Tbsp capers, drained and chopped
    2 oz romano cheese, grated
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • trim and slice the fennel, you should have approx. 3 cups. Save some of the feathery green herb for garnish.
  • toss the fennel, capers, broth, oil or butter, and mustard together. Place in buttered 8" casserole dish.
  • top with grated romano cheese; bake at 350°F for 30 to 35 min. or till fennel is soft and cheese is bubbly.
  • garnish with reserved fennel greens
  • serves 2 or 3; divide the nutrient counts accordingly

for whole recipe
    calories: 429
    Carbs: 21g / Fiber: 8g / 13g ECC
    Protein: 22g
    Fat: 30g
Enjoy!

Doreen
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 05:03

BF:
Progress:
Default Recipes

Great looking recipes ladies....I promise I'll get all your creations posted in the recipe section real soon.

I guess we'll have to put them with Salads. I know Wa'il is planning to add more categories, but for now, that's where you'll find them.

It's never too early to start thinking about your Holiday Menu ideas, which is going to be our topic for the month of November. I'll change the "sticky" around the first of the month and we can start adding those recipes.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 10:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Something for Winter

Scalloped vegetables are great when the weather turns cold. It goes well with all meats, but especially with pork, ham and sausages. Add a sprinkling of cheese if you like, for the last 30 minutes of baking.

To turn this into a meal, place sausages that you have browned on top of the cabbage for the last 30 minutes of cooking.

Scalloped Savoy Cabbage
Serves 6

1 lb. Savoy cabbage
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
2 1/2 cups whipping cream
3/4 tsp. salt
pepper to taste

Remove the outer leaves of the cabbage and cut it into quarters. Core and thinly slice the cabbage. Place in a bowl and toss with the onions. Transfer to a 9-by 13-inch baking dish.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bring the cream, salt and pepper to a boil. Pour over the cabbage and cover tightly with tinfoil. Place on a baking pan that has also been covered with tinfoil. Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for 30 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and let the cabbage sit for 10 minutes before serving.

Total Calories: 2187
Fat: 221 grams
Carbs: 47 grams
Fiber: 14 grams
Protein: 21 grams
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 13:43

BF:
Default Fennel

Doreen,
I've never cooked fennel before, but I know that it's suppose to reduce appetite and helps to eliminate mucus and fat from the intestinal tract.

I'm going to give your recipes a try. I'd like to make both of them and freeze the uneaten portions since I don't like to cook everyday. Will this be ok if I freeze them?

When I go shopping tomorrow, how do I pick them? Are the big ones better tasting that the little ones or vica-versa? I noticed that some look more green and others more white...anything to that?
thanks
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 16:13
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb hi Ka3n

I've heard of those properties of fennel too, but I think the most benefit in this regard comes from fennel SEED. Nonetheless, the vegetable & green herb is quite yummy in its own right

At my grocery, fennel bulbs are fairly uniform in size, give or take ... one bulb, after trimming, will weigh a bit less than ½ lb or 250 grams and measures 3 cups of sliced vegetable. It cooks down quite a bit, so I find one bulb will yield 2, maybe 3 servings at the most. A whole bulb has 17g carbs/7g fiber = 10g ECC

I don't know if the recipes would freeze or not ... but I can tell you for sure that they keep just fine in the fridge for several days, tightly covered ... and reheat quickly.

Here's a pic, just in case someone out there in readerland is curious
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anise2.jpg (6.9 KB, 38 views)
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 21:25

BF:

Thanks Doreen for all of the information and the photo. I guess the ones we have at the co-op aren't as big or lovely as the one in the photo. Some of them are quite small. I'm going to go to the larger grocery store to buy it. I'm looking forward to my fennel treat.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 06:09

BF:
Progress:
Default recipes

Thanks everyone for submitting your great vegetable ideas. I have posted all your original creations in the Recipe Section.