Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 18:53
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IthinkIcan
we are constantly looking for the best way to make our food behave, instead of ourselves.

Well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom sawyer
I'd agree that artificial sweeteners are in effect fooling yourself. However, for those of us who grew up eating and enjoying sweets, I think they are necessary at least in the interim, as a means of having a cheat without actually cheating.

I am finding that as I progress, I need those fake cheats less and less. But I also think I'll never completely rid myself of the urge to have something sweet.

I think sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners serve a useful purpose as an interim product that gets you over the initial stages of sugar/carb addiction but should not be used as a long term substitute for sugar. The ultimate aim should be to get over the constant need for sweet things of any description shouldn’t it?

19 months into low-carbing I have eliminated sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners from my diet. I used them for the first twelve months and they got me over the hump of going from high-carb to low-carb but frankly after a while I couldn’t see the point of replacing real sugar with fake sugar……it just didn’t sit well with me. I also found that I was eating sweet stuff more out of habit than need.

Now when I want something sweet I have lc fruit with cream and mixed nuts and find it just as satisfying. When I go out I allow myself the real thing (sugar) if I feel like a treat. It works perfectly (for me) and doesn’t set off any nasty cravings or weight fluctuations and it is a real treat. Now I can’t bring myself to ingest sa’s or as’s…..I just don’t trust them anymore.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-04, 12:39

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

[QUOTE=zedgirl]The ultimate aim should be to get over the constant need for sweet things of any description shouldn’t it? [QUOTE]

Why do you think that? If safety is not an issue, what is the harm in partaking in a low carb product that contains artificial sweetener?

The psychological dependence on sweets is powerful and no doubt has a component that has to do with our identification of suitable foodstuffs during our evolution. I see no health reason for denying ourselves.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-04, 17:58
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

I think the emphasis should be on ‘constant’. I see nothing wrong with eating sweet foods occasionally.

With all the stuff I’ve read over the last 19 months about diet, cholesterol, the way studies are conducted and the way big pharmaceutical companies work, I’ve become suspicious and paranoid about the safety of things like sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners (amongst other things).

All this information is doing my head in……..
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-04, 09:03
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

Just thought I'd check in with my ongoing experiment. I started practicing the no s rules a week ago. 3 meals, 1 plate each time, no sugar and no snacks. The first few days were strange, new territory. Attempting to control consumption was a forgein concept after low-carb/binge/low-carb lifestyle for years now. I had seriously believed for so long my food had to be tweaked instead of me, that I had to first break that new habit and allow myself to eat "normal." I actually figured, I'd get overwhelming cravings and struggle mostly with no snacks. I had about 2 days where I felt VERY snacky about 3 hours after dinner. I got through the first attack on sheer will. The second attack, I decided to drink a glass of water. I then suddenly felt VERY thirsty and drank 2 more. I was saited! I was also amazed. I had assumed I'd find out I was much more ravenous and white-knuckling. I also guessed I'd be counting the days off till an "s-day" came. Nope. I had 2 very small treats yesterday of sugar and both were like eating sugar grains out of the bag. In just a week, my body and mind is working well together. This by no means is a summary ... yet. I just thought I'd share how I've done so far.