Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-04, 15:21

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Seafood Crepes

This is something I came up with after developing a simple crepe recipe. I believe we used to serve something along these lines, at a restaurant I worked at.

Crepe base recipe:
2 eggs
1/4cup flaxseed flour
1/4 cup half and half

Adjust the consistency of the crepe batter with h&h, it should be pretty runny. You can use creme if you want.

Pour around 4TBL of batter on a griddle, tilt to maximize area covered.

Cook for maybe a minute, just until bottom is browned lightly and top is fairly dry. I don't flip them, you can if you want. The crepe should be very thin, about 1/8" thick, and maybe 6" diameter.

Seafood filling:
1cup cream
1/2 small tomato, chopped
8oz cooked shrimp, pealed and chopped
1 clove fresh garlic
2TBL olive oil
splash of red wine

Saute the garlic in some olive oil, add tomato and cook a couple of minutes. Add shrimp and cook another few minutes, then add cream and simmer 5 or 10 minutes. Add a splash of wine (less than 1TBL) towards the end of simmering. The filling should be relatively thick, and a pinkish color.

Using a slotted spoon, place some shrimp and tomato in each of three crepes. Roll these up, then ladle on a bit of the cream over the top. Sprinkle a little dried parsley or basil over the top for looks.

You can also use the fake crabmeat, or real crab, and it is nice to add some fish in as well. Experiment with your favorite seafood.

Hope you enjoy.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-04, 19:42

Plan: low carb
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Warning: Imitation crab meat is NOT low carb
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 09:05

BF:

Oh is it not? I thought it was just fish. I can't say I ever looked at the nutrtion info though. I'll have to do that. I only ever ate one package of the stuff in recent history, but it was good in this recipe, and on a chef salad.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 09:12

BF:

Googled up some nutrition info, according to the one site it has 10g of carbs in a 3.5oz portion. That is kinda high, although if you are adding some along with some shrimp I don't think you'd need more than an ounce. Shrimp or genuine crab would be preferable though.

Thanks for the heads up. I like how people look out for each other around here!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 09:10

BF:

Holy crap, the fake crab we ate the other day turned out to have 15g of carbs in a 4oz serving! Who'd have thunk it? I guess its yet another example of how processing a food leads to problems. I'll stick with shrimp and fish, and spring for real crab when I need a fix.

OMG, I just realized. This means no crab salad at the buffets. I think I'm going to cry.