Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-04, 19:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20
Progress: 100%
Default Carbquik - incredible product

Carbquik is the most versatile, revolutionary new Low Carb product I have ever tried!!

It is a low carb version of Bisquick. Only 2 grams of net carbs per serving and the "other" carbs are only fibre.

I recently got a box to try out; as the product sounded too good to be true.

From this 16 oz box, I made 15 battered chicken fingers;1 coffee cake; 1 large Greek Moussaka (used carbquik for the bechamel sauce and in the meat mixture) and several mini chicken pot pies (for the bread-y topping). Yikes I have never cooked so much at a time and my freezer is full of individual sized meals for later.

This product has no soy and tastes like the real thing. I never used Bisquick before, but I understand Bisquick is simply flour with some baking powder and salt.

I personally hate the taste of soy and unless the product can hide the soy taste I would prefer to do without that product than eat it. Each recipe was about 2-5 grams per serving. The coffee cake was incredible.

This product is made with wheat. And it tastes like it is made from wheat.

I tried the Atkins bake mix, and could not use it for a coating - it did not stick to anything! Plus it tasted too soy for me and I had given up on the bake mixes.

I am a Type 1 Diabetic and saw no impact on my blood sugar. I am also trying to lose a few pounds, so I am into induction, into deep ketosis and have stayed there eating all the above products. (I can't say the same thing about Dreamfields Pasta, but I want to keep experimenting before I can say the negative conclusively).

You can learn more about this product at www.carbalose.com

Next - (when I get a further supply) I will make stew with dumplings, biscuits, pizza (I want to see how this product works with yeast), and pound cake.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 02:03

Plan: various
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

I am sorry, but I can not support it as it has partially hydrogenated soy oil. If they made the Carbalose flour a stand alone product that might be cool.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 04:28

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Steph Z--Did you order yours online? I was just wondering about their shipping charges.. Can't find the info on their website..
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 08:17

Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20

Yes the product does have small amounts of trans-fats. The next generation will not have the transfats, I have been told - I called up Tova Industries, the manufacturers of this product. I believe the next generation is imminent. So it may be just a few months for it to become available.

I got my product via a LC colleague who ordered from www.carbavoid.com and passed it onto me. I am not sure what the shipping cost was.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-08-04, 13:20
Registered Member

Stats: 136/120/118 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Nutritional FAQ:

Does Carbquik™ contain trans fatty acids?

No. Carbquik is made using partially hydrogenated soy oil, which does contain trans fats. This is used in small amounts in Carbquik and does not contribute nutritionally. According to FDA guidelines, Carbquik™ does not contain nutritionally significant trans fats.

What is enzyme modified wheat?

Enzyme modified wheat is one of the innovations that make Carbalose™ and Carbquik™ so unique. Through a proprietary process, we combine wheat products with enzymes to create a flour-like product with minimal carbohydrates. This creates a product with the taste and properties of wheat flour without the carbs.

Can I Trust Your Nutrition Information?

Yes. Unlike many "low-carb" products, we have submitted Carbquik™, in both dry and baked form, to two independent food labs: Microbac Laboratories and Silliker Laboratories. The results are reflected on our nutrition panel.

Questions? Email us at carbalose~tovaindustries.com
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 18:16

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

You can order this from netrition.com
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 18:27

Plan: low carb
Stats: 204/198/140 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 9%

I bought some too but i got mine at Krogers here. It really is a good product.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 19:18

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%

Im sorry but that is pure BS. Just because it has a small ammount, does NOT give them any right to claim it doesnt contain transfats. It has partially hydrogenated oils, it has transfats. period. I dont care how little of the transfats it is, i will still never support or eat ANY foods that have that crap in it. The FDA has stated that "no ammount of transfats is safe for human consumption."

Quote:
Originally Posted by susies1955
Nutritional FAQ:

Does Carbquik™ contain trans fatty acids?

No. Carbquik is made using partially hydrogenated soy oil, which does contain trans fats. This is used in small amounts in Carbquik and does not contribute nutritionally. According to FDA guidelines, Carbquik™ does not contain nutritionally significant trans fats.

What is enzyme modified wheat?

Enzyme modified wheat is one of the innovations that make Carbalose™ and Carbquik™ so unique. Through a proprietary process, we combine wheat products with enzymes to create a flour-like product with minimal carbohydrates. This creates a product with the taste and properties of wheat flour without the carbs.

Can I Trust Your Nutrition Information?

Yes. Unlike many "low-carb" products, we have submitted Carbquik™, in both dry and baked form, to two independent food labs: Microbac Laboratories and Silliker Laboratories. The results are reflected on our nutrition panel.

Questions? Email us at carbalose~tovaindustries.com
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 23:28

Plan: proteinpower
Stats: 123/122/121
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker
Im sorry but that is pure BS. Just because it has a small ammount, does NOT give them any right to claim it doesnt contain transfats. It has partially hydrogenated oils, it has transfats. period. I dont care how little of the transfats it is, i will still never support or eat ANY foods that have that crap in it. The FDA has stated that "no ammount of transfats is safe for human consumption."

i agree with this. but if you go to lowcarbfriends.com and read some of the threads there, you will see that the owner of netrition has already contacted carbquick and the company has said they have already changed their formula but still have to use up their old labels before they can use labels to reflect these changes. i for one am going to wait till the new labels come out just to be sure!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 01:16
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by argo2d
........ the company has said they have already changed their formula but still have to use up their old labels before they can use labels to reflect these changes. i for one am going to wait till the new labels come out just to be sure!
argo2d and moonwalker,
I posted that info from there website over a month ago.
It is true that they shouldn't have claimed no transfat even if there was a small amount.
They 'claim' just like you said argo2d that they NOW have no trans fats in there product.
Susie
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 07:45

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%

Quote:
i agree with this. but if you go to lowcarbfriends.com and read some of the threads there, you will see that the owner of netrition has already contacted carbquick and the company has said they have already changed their formula but still have to use up their old labels before they can use labels to reflect these changes. i for one am going to wait till the new labels come out just to be sure!

same here, i hope that its true because i would love to have something like that. Thanks for the info
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 00:29

Plan: proteinpower
Stats: 123/122/121
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by susies1955
argo2d and moonwalker,
I posted that info from there website over a month ago.
It is true that they shouldn't have claimed no transfat even if there was a small amount.
They 'claim' just like you said argo2d that they NOW have no trans fats in there product.
Susie

i think you mistook my meaning... i am not talking about the website... Tom, the guy in charge of netrition actually talked to the company and they told him they reformulated.... now whether that is true or not is another question!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 01:28
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
i think you mistook my meaning... i am not talking about the website... Tom, the guy in charge of netrition actually talked to the company and they told him they reformulated.... now whether that is true or not is another question!
argo2d,
I didn't misunderstand.
I guess I just didn't write my message well.
I was replying to you and to Moonwalker at the same time and I wanted to let Moonwalker know that I sent that other post in over a month ago and that things have changed.
I've read the post that Tom wrote. I was referring to that when I said there is no trans fats now.
Susie
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 20:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-SBD (some sat fat)
Stats: 305/305/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm definately looking into this product. Thanks for the info.

Is there another place other than LowCarbFriends? I find them a bit pricey sometimes.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 20:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-SBD (some sat fat)
Stats: 305/305/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Never mind, just answered my own question

http://store.carbavoidstore.com/display.asp?sku=107

However it is cheeper at Netrition, I'll have to check the shipping charges.