Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 07:12

Plan: LC
Stats: 135/135/115 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Can protein shakes make me gain weight?

I finally decided to buy a protein powder for after my morning workouts. I never have any time to grab food so end up eating something I'm not supposed to. I purchased Designer Whey Protein and had it for the first time this morning and it's actually very good.

Now, my DH told me that I'm going to gain weight with the protein shake...is that so? I thought it was a good idea but now I'm a little bit confused. Anyone has any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 07:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/187/154 Male 5 feet, 4 inches
BF:33%/30%
Progress: 28%

only gain weight if your training I guess, but on its own?

no whey! (geddit> no way??) lol

Kieran
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 07:23
Registered Member

Plan: n/a
Stats: /235/235 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Think of it this way. Do you think you'd gain weight if you had a chicken breast after your workout?

There is no magic in the protein powder. It is simply a more convenient way to get in your protein. That and PWO liquid nutrition is superior due to its quicker digestion.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 07:25

Plan: LC
Stats: 135/135/115 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 0%

what is PWO?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 07:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/187/154 Male 5 feet, 4 inches
BF:33%/30%
Progress: 28%
Smile

Post Work-Out

Shakes, especially whey is good PWO because it absorbs fairly rapidly
unlike casein, which is a slow absorbtion (sp?) protein.

Kieran
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 09:18

Plan: Curves eating plan
Stats: 186/152/140 Female 5'8'
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'm waiting for Built to jump in here because I dont think she has much luck with PWO shakes.

However, I think you should give them a shot and if you notice yourself gaining weight, try cutting them out to see if you notice a change.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 18:20
Registered Member

Plan: carb cycle
Stats: 113/109/? Female 61 inches
BF:/~15%/11%
Progress: 38%

Built will definitely know better than I do, but I believe some people (mostly women) experience an insulin spike with protein powders because they are so fast absorbing. I personally had to give them up because they were kicking me out of ketosis. But if your plan is low carb but not ketogenic, I'm sure they'd be fine. I switched to cottage cheese or turkey and cream cheese rollups PWO.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 18:50
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyella
Built will definitely know better than I do, but I believe some people (mostly women) experience an insulin spike with protein powders because they are so fast absorbing. I personally had to give them up because they were kicking me out of ketosis. But if your plan is low carb but not ketogenic, I'm sure they'd be fine. I switched to cottage cheese or turkey and cream cheese rollups PWO.

Any disruption in ketosis, whether by simple carbs PWO or by a fast digesting protein (ie whey) is short term. Ketosis is reestablished extremely fast.

PWO nutrition is more important than staying in ketosis 24/7.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 19:02

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

I'd say yes, they can make you gain weight. Last year I did a hypertrophy cycle (my first ever, didn't really know what was right for me yet) and, Grrr! Did I ever gain weight. Muscle and certainly also unwanted fat! The only difference in my diet was the protein shakes after lifting.
I would say make sure to be aware of the ingredients (extras besides the powder) and calories in the shakes and if you start to gain fat, tweak it.
But I might be wrong. I'm a bit paranoid at this point and truly believe that anything edible on the planet can make a person gain weight...
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 19:19
Registered Member

Plan: Food
Stats: /128/ Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ok...ya'll are not getting it. Protein shakes in and of themselves will NOT make you gain weight. If you are taking them in place of another meal, and therefore your calories have remained the same...they will not make you gain anything...you're trading calorie for calorie (and yes, I am aware you may be using a different macronutrient...but let's not even worry about that at the moment). Now if you're taking a shake in ADDITION to your regular meals...I can see adding weight...but this is due to an increase in calories...not because you are drinking a protein shake.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 19:29

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Wynne
Ok...ya'll are not getting it. Protein shakes in and of themselves will NOT make you gain weight. If you are taking them in place of another meal, and therefore your calories have remained the same...they will not make you gain anything...you're trading calorie for calorie (and yes, I am aware you may be using a different macronutrient...but let's not even worry about that at the moment). Now if you're taking a shake in ADDITION to your regular meals...I can see adding weight...but this is due to an increase in calories...not because you are drinking a protein shake.

Makes sense. I only use my whey shakes as a "meal substitute" (considering I use two scoops and some heavy cream they are almost 400 cals!!). Definately not a snack food!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 21:52

Plan: Body for Life
Stats: 168/123/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 136%

I use protein shakes and have used them for my entire 'diet' and eating plan after my workouts. I lost weight just fine and have not gained an ounce in maintenance. My Met-RX shakes and whey protein oatmeal keep me sane.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 07:59
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

Okay, I'll take a stab at trying to make sense out of what happened to me when I used whey post workout during very low carb dieting, where I was trying to stay in ketosis: it knocked me out of ketosis, and stimulated hunger and carb-cravings. I didn't understand why at the time, but I do now. I've switched to cottage cheese post-lifting because it feels more comfortable with the slower protein.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 09:33
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Wynne

Good answer.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 10:48
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

I think the issue here might be in looking at the transition from straight Atkins/keto dieting, to more of a bodybuilding programme. I know that for me, that road has been rather bumpy.

If you're operating on a pure cals-in-cals-out paradigm, then no, whey won't make you gain weight unless your cals go up. But if you're trying to avoid cravings and hunger by staying in ketosis, then, yes, this can be problematic.

And I'm still not all that sure about the whole "metabolic advantage" thing with ketosis, but I know I ate a heck of a lot of calories when I first started Atkins, and I dropped a lot of weight, fast. I know SOME of it was water, but if I lost 20 pounds of water over a few months, all I can say is F***, was I ever BLOATED! In the initial stages of this little experiment, I was relying on ketosis for fat loss. Anything that interfered with this at least APPEARED to cause me to gain weight. I started hearing about how quickly whey digested/glycolyzed because of the small, quickly digesting molecules of pre-chewed protein, and dropped it. I started leaning out again.

So, I don't know HOW it was all happening, but I know that it DID. I'm all ears for suggestions.