Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 19:34

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default Any cyclists out there?

I have been low carbing for about a month. In the last month it has been exceptionally humid and rainy here in Florida so I haven't roade my bike much at all. On Friday I rode for about 14 miles and thought I was going to die. No energy at all.
Was this because low carbing has depleted glycogen stores or is it just because I haven't been training in a while?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 19:50

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default hmmm

I would say that both factor in ... but probably more that your glycogen stores are tapped.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-01, 06:08

BF:

Does this mean I won't ever be able to ride distance comfortably while eating this way?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-01, 17:41

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%

Last year I trained for the California Aids Ride and I logged a lot of miles on my bicycle here in Los Angeles. I think you are going through a period of adjustment (which I also experienced) at the beginning of this WOE. After a while you will probably be okay. Just be SURE you drink enough water and don't get dehydrated.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-01, 18:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/246.5/230 Male 74 inches
BF:??/19/12
Progress: 73%
Default Have to agree

I agree with Missydog,

I am a cyclist, but of the mountain bike sort. I don't understand all that good stuff these trainers do, but I can tell you that you will get used to it. Your body will respond and take care of the problem, just continue to work at it.

Since starting Atkins, I can do about 18 miles off-road without stopping for a break. I do drink lots (usually 2-3 litres) from a hydration pack, and I would suggest you do the same.

On a road bike, you should be making quick distance gains. I have only tried road biking once with a buddy, but I believe we did about 20 miles. I like off-roading with a little more action.

Good luck,
wsgts
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 14:21

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Not a cyclist but...

Hi Atriana -

I know that when I've missed even a few days of running (anything more than one day off) the first morning I'm out again is pure HELL. I don't know why, but that's just me. Of course YMMV.

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 11:15

BF:

Thanks everyone. I was pretty much couch potatoing it for a while, you know it's raining or it's too hot or some other excuse. But after hearing about my 13 point drop in HDL cholesterol, it is definately time to get back on the bike! I was commuting to work (26.2 miles round trip each day, so I was doing at least 130 miles a week, probably closer to 150)
I got on the bike today and could barely do 5 miles. ARGH!
I have got to get with the program again. This month's Bicycling magazine had another anti low carb paragraph or two (again). I need to get my mileage back up so at least I can write them a letter about how wrong they are!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 11:36

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Atriana
This month's Bicycling magazine had another anti low carb paragraph or two (again). I need to get my mileage back up so at least I can write them a letter about how wrong they are!

You'll show them what's what, Atriana

150 miles a week is great. I usually bike to work in summer (its 25miles for me round trip as well) and I just love it. I get to go down the canal and see all the boats and ducklings out early in the morning. I am quite envious, you can bike 12 month of the year!

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 11:58

BF:

Yes, Florida is a 12 month a year cycling state. The only problem is that for 3 or 4 months of the year you have to do all your biking in the dark or very early in the morning.It you try to do any serious distance in the sunlight you would absolutely fry in the heat. The sunblock melts off you before you get around the block!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 19:15
Registered Member

Stats: 298/247.5/185 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:36%/23%/12%
Progress: 45%

I ride about 40 - 50 kms a day, everyday. Some mountain, some road. I drink about 1 litre of water per hour while riding. I don't feel weak at all, but I haven't done a huge ride yet.

Dave
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 19:37

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hiya

Gosh, you make me jealous !

I come form a country, where we do a lot of cycling ( Germany), it's just another way of transport over there, so I grew up, doing about 10-15 km a day. Then I moved to the UK, and that was the end of it ! The roads here are so narrow, that even the cars don't fit on them properly, and I live in London, so lots of traffic. But 6 weeks ago, I took the plunge and bought myself a bike.

Things have changed a lot. The last bike I bought was 16 years ago ! I used to have a racing bike. Now all there is in the shops is mountain bikes and I hate them. They are sooo uncomfortable !
Also, last time I bought a bike, the bike had everything it needed. This time, I had to buy mudgards, stand, chain, lights, luggage holder....I am glad the handle bars were included

Anyway, as I haven't been on a bike for such a long time (6years) and the roads here scare the living daylight out of me (try to ride between a bus and a lorry on a very narrow road !), I usually just ride to the train station, take the bike on the train up to town, and then ride from there to work. It is about 15mins each way in total. Not a lot, I know, but I struggle with some of the hills already . One day I will go all the way by bike (I hope), but it is about 20 miles each way, of which 1 mile is a steep hill

Good luck
Sabine

PS.: London is pretty much all-year-round-cycling as well, if you don't mind getting soaked for 11.5 months a year
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 07:20

BF:

Madpiano - I know exactly what you mean about all those "bike extras", they can add up in a hurry. Our roads are wider here, but the motorists think they own them. While riding 6 inches from the side of the road I've had people yell at me, honk their horns repeatedly, and one person even threw something at me. When I watch the various European Bike Tours on television, I am amazed at the support the local people give to bicycling, I wish it was like that here.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 07:41

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

LOL

I think we all have to move to Holland

Sabine
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 08:06

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Wink Fun in the Sun

Atriana,

Today, I am going to purchase a mountain bike. I do not like gyms, I think it is too hot to run in FL and I think a bike would hit the spot! For me, I don't sweat too much until I get off of the bike. LOL

Anyways, I have asked a professional here what I need, but I would love your input as well.

I will purchase:

bike
lock
car rack
gel seat

Thank you,
Julie

P.S. PLEASE don't request I get a helmet. I plan on being 100% off road. I am very stubborn this way. I ride horses without one as well. I guess you could call me a professional faller! LOL
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 08:26
Registered Member

Stats: 231/221/150 Male 5' 8"/1.72m
BF:
Progress: 12%
Talking back on two wheels

I started riding again after about 13 years off--I used to ride approx. 150 miles a week(I actually rode an informal 'century once with friends on fat tires, no less), but a baby came along, & a bunch of lbs., & some hand problems. I also moved away from a dream biking location that was only a mile and a half from an off-street bike trail that was 20-some miles long.

I've reached a point now where I know I need some steady aerobic work, & as much as I love my new kayak, I can't get it out as often as I like, & the bike has been siting there, staring at me with 'sad eyes'. I'm starting slow, just 20 minutes a day (about 4.8 miles at an average speed of 14mph), 4 or 5 days a week. I'm surprised how quickly I'm coming back--of course, the forty lbs. I've lost sure has helped (toot, toot: I believe that's my own horn ). I've put some street slicks on my mountain bike: not much dirt here in Sacramento, & I've never felt the need to drive somewhere just to ride a bike--though it is awfully flat here.

I'm going to try to get out before breakfast on non-work mornings , glad I found this thread--ride on!