Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 04:05
Registered Member

Plan: Healthy carbs :)
Stats: 185/156/160 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 116%
Question I am a Tae-Bo nut anyone else?

I am a Tae-Bo nut, I have been doing it ATLEAST 6 times a week, sometimes as much at 10 a week for just over a month. I am just starting low carb and I am worried about a drop in energy that will leave me too tired to keep up with Billy!

Anyone else Tae-bo while low carb? I low carbed for about 6 months years ago, but didn't do much activity.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 05:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (modified)
Stats: 152/???/130 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hey..

Another Taebo fanatic over here. I did 7 days a week for three years, it kept me fit (was a whole lot thin then). Stopped for a little over a year...explains the lbs . I started again 6 months ago and still love it.

The first 3 weeks on LC were difficult for me, I didn't have energy to do anything. i remember one day during the second week I couldn't finish the normal 50 min. May never know, some people notice a lift in energy levels after the second day on LC. Since then my energy has improved...I could do 2 classes if it was possible .

I don't a VCR at the moment so I use the gym and Taebo is only twice a week. I miss it lot.

Welcome and Good luck...Lc is the best...enjoy those kicks and punches
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 07:56

Plan: atkins/Thurmond
Stats: 208/151.6/128 Female 5' 3"
BF:??/32.6%/25%
Progress: 71%
Default Question on taebo

HI- I am so happy to see this post! My friend and I have been doing THE FIRM for 4 months- we love it! However; she has knee pain when doing the squats/ lunges/ climbing the step. So- we are goin g to try taebo. I was wondering about the muscle building. I am so excited about my muscles and using weights to increase them. Will I loose this with the taebo? Do you use weights or just your own resistance? We have been doing 5 days/week so I am a little nervous on switching pgms, but she can't do the other and we want to work out together! Can you give me some feedback?
Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 02:58
Registered Member

BF:

ljw32, I haven't tried The Firm so no input on that. DH and I still weight train but only about 3 times weekly. I alternate the Tae-bo Contact (with the bag for toning) with the regular cardio programs. However, I seem to be favoring the cardio right now to help my weight loss.

Proper shoes are a must though, hopping around on your toes can hurt your knees if your weight isn't supported properly!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 07:12
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default I'm not a fan yet, but I could be

Timely thread!

I have been lifting weights for the past 8 weeks. I am seeing great results, but the pounds are coming off slowly (only 14 pounds gone). I want to speed up the loss; thus, my hunt for a non-boring aerobics activity.

I bought the Tae-Bo tapes a few years ago, Tae Bo with Billy Blanks, but left them in the drawer. (I really hate aerobics!)

The tapes came as a 4-pack with an instructional video that showed you how to do the moves. The other three were labeled beginner, intermediate, and advanced.

Anyway, I watched one this morning so I could see what I'd be getting into later. Can you really do the same tape 7 days a week without getting bored or do you have a collection of billy blanks tapes? And does it really get you in shape? I understand that it burns fat (he sure sweats during the workout), but does it do anything for you muscularly? I'm a little skeptical.

I'm not a fan yet, but I could be. I have to work out at 4:30 AM, which limits my choices. No gyms open yet, and too dark and scary to walk on the conservation trails behind my house. I have a treadmill, but I'd rather watch paint dry (I feel like a hamster in a wheel).

So I'd love to read more about Billy Blanks here.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 02:11
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Can you really do the same tape 7 days a week without getting bored or do you have a collection of billy blanks tapes? And does it really get you in shape? I understand that it burns fat (he sure sweats during the workout), but does it do anything for you muscularly? I'm a little skeptical.

Well normally I would get bored, but I am REALLY wanting to get rid of this weight so they are keeping my interest I try to really psyche myself up before I do the tapes. I usually have someone doing them with me (a neighbor or my hubby) and we push each other. I feel GREAT after doing the workout. I do it every morning after taking my oldest 2 children to school and feeding my others. It gives me more energy all day. I also do it at night after my children are all in bed. It takes alot of willpower to do it then, but night is when I normally do all my snacking so it keeps me from doing it.

Right now we are doing the Basic workout from the same collection you have. We are looking for the Advanced one to step it up some. I don't think they are the best for toning. They will help, but you have to constantly keep your muscles contracted and it's kind of hard to concentrate on that until you have all the moves down. I use the tae-bo contact workout more for toning. You don't need the bag to get a good workout, but I really like it. It's a little slower paced, but really pushes your muscles for toning and still gets you sweating. I am usually a little sore the morning after doing that one.

In a about 15 more pounds I am going to bring in some more toning excersizes like Yoga or Pilates, but I figured I should lose as much of the flab as I could first.
Good luck I hope they work out for you! Oh and if you go to the Tae bo wesite they have tips on helping you perfect the moves!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 04:59
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMomma5
I also do it at night after my children are all in bed. It takes alot of willpower to do it then, but night is when I normally do all my snacking so it keeps me from doing it.

That's an excellent idea. And probably a good one for me. Because I work 6-2, we eat dinner early (before my husband leaves for work at 5:30 PM). That means I have all those hours looming ahead of me. A dangerous zone indeed.

Quote:
Oh and if you go to the Tae bo wesite they have tips on helping you perfect the moves!

Thanks!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 05:24

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I love Tae Bo!!! I haven't done them in awhile, mind you, just trying to drum up the energy to get back into it

I remember fondly the first time I got thru the entire Basic video without modifying - I felt like I was Queen of the World, like I'd won and Olympic Gold

I like it because it really energizes me and I'm kinda sore the next morning so I know I did some good.

I have the Winsor Pilates tapes and they are excellent, too! Ha, watch out tho!! The first time I did it I thought, "eh, that wasn't really much of a workout. I hardly felt it or broke a sweat" -- the joke was on me! I had trouble moving the next morning i was so sore

I think anything is better than nothing. I still haven't cracked the wrapping on the Advanced Tae Bo tape (I have the 4 pack of TB and WP) so I have that to look forward to once I win the Gold again with TB
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 05:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/120/118 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 89%

I have never done TaeBo but would like to know more about it. It seems I'm hearing about it lot lately.
What would you suggest for an absolute beginner?
Any tips??????
Thanks,
Susie
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 09:49
Registered Member

BF:

If you are new to Tae-bo then I would suggest going to their website and check out some of the moves and see if it's something you would be interested in doing. Before you buy any DVDs or Tapes you could always check with a friend or see if your local library has any you could check out! Good Luck!!!

If you just want to buy them then I would suggest the Instructional or the first Contact one. The instructional really helps get the moves properly.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 10:14
Registered Member

Stats: 136/120/118 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
If you are new to Tae-bo .........check with a friend or see if your local library ....
I think I will check with the library. I don't know anyone at all around here who does Tae-bo.
Thanks for the tips,
Susie
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 16:11

Looking forward to trying taebo- I ordered some off ebay 2 weeks ago and am getting a little perturbed b/c I have tried to contact the seller and no reply as to when it was sent. Anyway- until that time I am doing the Firm- love it but my partner hurt her kne and we need to try something with less impact on the knees.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 10:40
Grrrrrrowwwwwwwl

Stats: 163/145.2/135 Female 64 inches
BF:34/29/20
Progress: 64%

Quote:
I have a treadmill, but I'd rather watch paint dry (I feel like a hamster in a wheel).
OMG, too true!

I've done TB with Billy and it's not bad. I've never gotten past the middle tape (whatever that is called) to the advanced. I may try that soon when it gets to icy outside to bike.

~Blond~
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-08-04, 18:42

Finally got the tapes I ordered- did the basic tape- it was not bad. I am having to adjust to tightening my muscles on the punching- I am used to the actual weights- so we'll see how it goes.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Oct-09-04, 01:08
Registered Member

BF:

great! I have to constantly tell myself to tighten my abs (well what's left after 5 children)

How do you like it?