Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 18:39
AKA: Carol

Plan: High Fat Low Carb
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5' 4"
BF:? Not any more!
Progress: 100%
Default My Cholestral levels.. need advice please..

A few months ago when I first started my low card diet I had bloodwork done to check my cholestral levels for the first time in my life. When the results came back it was not the greatest... my good cholestral was 38 and my bad cholestral was 181. This week I had my blood tested again and the results were a little better. My good cholestral was up to 42 and my bad cholestral was down to 153. I still have to work on this a bit as the Dr. still wants my good cholestral higher and my bad cholestral lower. Maybe some of you can tell me what supplements would be good for me to take. My DR. said to exercise more (kinda hard with a bad lower back) and to try a low fat, low cholestral diet. I have no plans on doing that as I am dedicated to my low carb diet. And so far since I have lost 75 pounds, my numbers are getting better. Here is what I am currently taking for diet supplements... 1 one-a-day Carbsmart vitamin, 630 mg Natural Green Tea Extract, 2000 mg Flaxseed Oil, 600 mg Calcium twice a day, 1500 mg Glucosamine HCI, 1200 mg Chondrotin Sulfate... and once in a while I also take a low carb dieter daily fiber supplement... should I be taking a fiber supplement every day? Are there other nutritional supplements that I should be taking to lower my cholestral or in general on a low carb diet?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 19:00
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

I take 6000 mg fish oil daily, along with the usual stuff. I think fish oil works better than flax, myself, but if you prefer flax, up it to 6000 instead of 2000.

And yes, exercise is key. The combination of low-carbing and weightlifting transformed my lipid profile - which was so bad it was high enough to medicate by the time I was 33. Can you see a physiotherapist and get started on a lifting programme? You start light and concentrate on form with lifting - and that way your weaker parts have a chance to catch up - no jumping or sudden movements. It's made a world of difference for me, and I was a runner with HIGH cholesterol.

Oh, and I'll toss in the usual: NO TRANS FATS. They'll wreck your health.

Good luck! And congratulations on your loss!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 20:12

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Sweetcake,

I've read numerous articles that all say that exercise is the best cure for lower back problems. Strengthening the muscles that support the back allows less stress on the nerves. Talk to you doctor about this.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 22:30

Plan: southbeach
Stats: 185/170/130 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 27%

Fish oil (omega 3) and flax seed oil are good choices...and of course Fiber is known to lower cholestrol
Hope this helps
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 07:06

Default thanks for the tips

I went and got some fish oil and am gonna start off with 4000mg a day and continue to take 2000mg a day of the flax seed oil till I finish the bottle. I am exercising a little at the gym doing upper body weight machines and plan to start on the lower body and start to take classes in a few weeks. I am trying to give the chiropractor a few weeks since I just started going to him to get my problem in order so I do not aggravate the sacrorilliac joint while he is trying to fix it. Thanks again for the tips on the amount of essential oils to try. In reading the boards I also found mentioned of Borage oil... Is it also benificial?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-26-04, 21:26

Here is what I am currently taking for supplements:

ONE - A - DAY CARBSMART VITAMIN
4000 MG FISH OIL
2000 MG FLAX SEED OIL
1500 GLUCOSAMINE HCI
1200 CHONDROITIN SULFATE
600 MG CALCIUM
1000 GARLIC
1000 MG BORAGE OIL
100 MG CO Q10
250 MG L-CARNITINE

I am not sure if I should be taking anything else. I am taking some of the supplements to hopefully help my back, and some of them to hopefully help my cholestral. And the rest I am taking to supplement my general diet.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 21:50

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Sweetcake, it is a good decision to hang onto your fats. The fats and protein are the ticket that you need to improve cholesterol levels because the help to stabilize insulin. This, in turn, helps the pancreas to manufacture glucagon enabling lipolysis or ketosis. Most doctors mistakenly encourage lowfat diets to reduce cholesterol levels which actually causes opposite results. A good exercise for the back is a good old fashioned walk, if it is comfortable enough to do so. Your cholesterol levels should continue to improve if you stick with your diet plan.

Good Luck,
Mary
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 17:01

Thanks for the tips and advice.... I have been using the treadmill at the gym a few times a week and the chiropractor is making some progress with my back.. so within the next few weeks I also hope to start taking some type of cardio classes at the gym too....
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-11-04, 18:23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are my lab results...

4-15-2004
LDL WAS 181 SHOULD BE <130
HDL WAS 38 SHOULD BE >40
TRIGLYCERIDES WAS 193 SHOULD BE <150
TOTAL CHOLESTERAL WAS 257 SHOULD BE <200
TOTAL/HDL RATIO WAS 6.8 SHOULD BE <4.4
LDL/HDL RATIO WAS 4.8 SHOULD BE <3

9-14-2004
LDL WAS 153 SHOULD BE <130
HDL WAS 42 SHOULD BE >40
TRIGLYCERIDES WAS 115 SHOULD BE <150
TOTAL CHOLESTERAL WAS 218 SHOULD BE <200
TOTAL/HDL RATIO WAS 5.2 SHOULD BE <4.4
LDL/HDL RATIO WAS 3.6 SHOULD BE <3

12-06-2004
LDL WAS 177 SHOULD BE <130
HDL WAS 56 SHOULD BE >40
TRIGLYCERIDES WAS 106 SHOULD BE <150
TOTAL CHOLESTERAL WAS 254 SHOULD BE <200
TOTAL/HDL RATIO WAS 4.5 SHOULD BE <4.4
LDL/HDL RATIO WAS 3.2 SHOULD BE <3

So most things seem to be going in the right direction with the low carb diet except for the BAD cholestral level. Today the Dr. put me on 10 mg of Lipitor a day for the next 30 days and then I will have the tests redone! Currently besides vitamins I am still taking fish oil, flax seed oil & gralic tablets every day...
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-04, 01:20

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/205/205 Male 72
BF:

Lipitor will kill you; chloestyerol always goes up in the winter.

www.statinalert.org
www.theomnivore.com/home.html
www.thincs.org
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-04, 16:54

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I agree with 322432!

I was on Lipitor and had all kinds of problems!

Have you had a heart attack? Do you have heart disease? What are your risk factors? How old are you?

With your HDL and Triglycerides, I'd say you're doing great!

If you do take the lipitor, remember to not drink Grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit! Also, get yourself some co-Q10 and take it!

If you have any signs of muscle problems, stop taking it! Many people report not having any problems with their blood work, but yet they have muscle aches, exercise intolerance, memory problems, etc.

Here's a forum for people who have stopped their statins: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/grou...?yguid=90049275

Good luck and keep us informed!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-04, 17:11

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Also.....I see you are taking co-Q10....increase the dosage to 150-200 twice a day.

And....why are you going on statins? your numbers are improving! Your HDL will likely go down in Lipitor, and that's not good! If your numbers are getting better, why not continue what you're doing? why start meds?

Quote:
LDL WAS 177 SHOULD BE <130
HDL WAS 56 SHOULD BE >40
TRIGLYCERIDES WAS 106 SHOULD BE <150
TOTAL CHOLESTERAL WAS 254 SHOULD BE <200
TOTAL/HDL RATIO WAS 4.5 SHOULD BE <4.4
LDL/HDL RATIO WAS 3.2 SHOULD BE <3

The LDL level of 130 is only for those with 2 or more cardiac risks! (per AHA, not me!) http://www.americanheart.org/presen...?identifier=183

Personally, I'd up the fish oil and Flax and forget the Lipitor!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-04, 18:04

I am 46 years old and high cholestral levels and cardiac problems are rampant in my family. As for other risk factors I do smoke about 1/2 pack a day. I am on no other medications except for an ocassion pain pill for my back. Besides my lower back I have no other health concerns since I am now down to a normal weight range for my height. My blood pressure and other stuff are just fine. I personally do not have any heart problems that I know of. I did weigh over 200 pounds for about 20 years. I have no idea what my levels were when I was 225 pounds. My first test was done after dieting for 2 months. Thanks for all the links to read more about this medication. After the 30 days, and I get restested... I will not be taking Lipitor any more no matter what the Dr. says.. Some of the links I went too are making me a little nervous. If I experience any problems before hand I will not even take it for the full 30 days.

Here is an updated list of what I am now taking (AS OF YESTERDAY) on a daily basis:

10 MG LIPITOR
1 A DAY CARBSMART VITAMIN
2000 MG FLAXSEED OIL
4800 MG FISH OIL
1200 MG CALCIUM
1000 MG GARLIC
500 MG VITAMIN C
400 IU VITAMIN E
200 MG CO-Q10
6 METAMUCIL (PSYLLIUM HUSKS) FIBER CAPSULES

I am staying on my low carb diet and definately NOT going on a low fat diet... As for Grapefruit.. it is something I absoultly hate and will not have any problems not eating or drinking any! What are the maximum safe amounts of Flax seed oil and Fish oil and Co-Q 10 and Garlic that a person can take per day and the body will use without wasting it? The Co-Q10 is sorta expensive.. One other question.. Lipitor will make the good cholestral go down too?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-04, 18:40

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I cannot answer all of your questions, but Lipitor does not lower HDL. It also does not lower triglicerides. It does lower LDL.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-04, 20:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/205/205 Male 72
BF:

The only thing Lipitor will put down, that matters, is you.
Good luck Sweetcake, we all have to make our own decisions about what chemicals we put in our bodies. IMO you would be better off to quit the statins and increase the ciggarettes by a couple packs a day. Part of the reason that your cholesterol is higher, than some, is that your body is counteracting the nictotine. A high carb (sugar diet) does the same thing to your body as nicotine.----Duhh...elevated cholesterol in both cases. I know, I smoked three to four packs a day for 40 years. Like I said, good luck. Make your own decisions about what you put into your body. You're the one that must live with it and pay for it.