Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 17:22
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

I hate grocery shopping, especially when a cart is needed, so i try to do it weekly so i only have to use a hand basket (i shop only for myself so I don't have a lot to buy). At some places you can't help it, like Wal Mart. They don't HAVE hand baskets. And everyone there is always doing that kind of stuff. The "i'm getting in front of you, just so I can walk rrreeaaal sllloooowww, cause I don't have anything to do but be at WalMart" or the "I have to look at the different mayonaise brands along with you" or the "I'm just gonna wedge my cart here at the end of the aisle for a little while" or, my fave "this line only has 2 people in it, let's race her to the line!" (said person racing me to the line is pushing a cart full of crap even I wouldn't dream of eating on a cheat, while I have about 8 items in my arms, some of which are about to fall to the floor).
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 17:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Rest easy, people, because I don't send my husband to do the grocery shopping alone. Oh, he's polite with his cart and gets things off the top shelf for little old ladies, but, like a lot of men I've known, he CAN'T READ LABELS.

He came home with the wrong paper towels, and he would have sworn he got the right ones, because the knockoffs he got had a similar logo and typeface, though a different name. He was amazed when I showed him the little "unit pricing things" on the shelves, and how the bargain wasn't. He didn't know the carb count was listed on the label.

It's not that I found him in a cave. He was a bachelor for many years, and just grabbed the same old off the shelves each time. The switch to the low carb lifestyle has required him getting a whole new set of skills, and he's coming along.

So, ladies, I applaud you taking the kids to the store and teaching them the shopping skills everyone needs to have. That's why I'm pretty tolerant of kids in the store, unless they aren't learning anything by being there. But here's a tip: some men need help. You can't list "peanut butter" because while they've been eating out of the same jar for years, they never noticed if it's Peter Pan or Skippy.

That's why so many of them stare blankly at the shelves when they've been sent for "laundry detergent" or "bread" or "yogurt." Please, help them along...
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 17:23
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

What about the women who stand at the checkout watching the staff scanning and packing all their groceries and then realize when they’ve finished that they actually have to pay! Then they spend the next five minutes rummaging around their handbags for their purse, credit card or correct change. That drives me insane!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 19:39
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 284/227/170 Male 72 inches
BF:30%
Progress: 50%

I hear ya zedgirl! And the couponers!!! I could understand 2-5 coupons but having one for EVERY item is ridiculous! And the reciept checkers! jeez, everyone in the world isn't trying to rip you off, get out of the way and let us get started! If you find a mistake after you leave the checkout, just take it to the service desk! thats what it's there for!!!!!!
Ah, I feel better getting all this off my chest!
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 21:34

Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm noticing something that a lot of threads have in common:Wal Mart

Quote:
There are two places that really steam me - one is the Super WalMart

Quote:
Went to superwalmart

And blue4lemon said it best with:
Quote:
At some places you can't help it, like Wal Mart. They don't HAVE hand baskets. And everyone there is always doing that kind of stuff. The "i'm getting in front of you, just so I can walk rrreeaaal sllloooowww, cause I don't have anything to do but be at WalMart"

#36   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 03:08
Registered Member

Plan: My own and Lindora
Stats: 302/295/130 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 4%

adkpam...

I hate to tell you this, but I saw that exact tactic on "Roseanne". Dan played so dumb about cooking dinner that one of the daughters said to forget it, she would do it. He smiled and went to watch tv.

Don't fall for it, I think he's pulling a fast one on you!!!!

he he he
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 05:43
based on real events

Stats: 198.5/190.5/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 13%
Talking

You guys are hilarious! Its all TRUE I tell ya!

Just to clarify, I don't really hate men, and usually tolerate them in the grocery store, I am not about to go into 'shopper's rage' any time soon particularly after reading this thread! I really did think I was the only one with these shopping 'issues' haha. One of the solutions I thought of was 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' and send my husband shopping, but to be quite frank, he doesn't do it right ....so off I go and brave the wicked old ladies who pretend not to see you so YOU move out of her way (OK I have SEEN and HEARD from the horses mouth that these are REAL tactics used by some old ladies ) and yes, I always move, but it gets annoying some days when I have a heavy cart and they don't have a cart.

My big other gripe about shopping is the staff. About 10 or so years ago, we used to be able to go in a store, any store, and the staff would always smile and either try not to get in your way or get out of your way pleasantly....these days they really don't care, they block you, slow you down, park there work carts and inventory in the most ridiculous places....they push past you and don't even apologise when they almost send you flying or trample over the stroller/push chair with your newborn in it SIGH! This one really does irritate me ...and I am going to file complaints pretty soon because I have had enough.

And for those who asked, I live in a relatively small town that is a bit behind the times, where women are still the main caretakers.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 22:00

Plan: Atkins-modified diabetic
Stats: 259/259/130 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry Stupid employees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedways
My big other gripe about shopping is the staff...they really don't care, they block you, slow you down, park there work carts and inventory in the most ridiculous places....they push past you and don't even apologise...

I hate that too, Wicked! Anywhere! Not just the stores...restaurants, etc. Don't EVEN be an employee and get in the way of this customer! LOL Just chaps my hide
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 22:39

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%
Default Who was that puff of air?

I glide down the aisles with list in hand beyond the notice of these confused beings, every item on my list is configured logically by section using arcane algebraic equations for maximum efficiency. I am a shopping God.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 08:05
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 284/227/170 Male 72 inches
BF:30%
Progress: 50%

I have become a rude shopper due to other rude shoppers. When someone or a group of people are coming straight for me I refuse to move out of their way. It seemed to me that every person in the store expected me to get out of their way, like I am a second class person or something. Now if it means running in to someone or them running in to me, well, so be it. And you can forget about me saying excuse me or sorry or whatever. not gonna happen. If they say something ugly to me I just laugh at them!
I know I shouldn't be this way but THEY made me this way.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 06:00
based on real events

Stats: 198.5/190.5/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 13%

Take an tip from the old ladies, 'don't look them in the eye, pretend you don't see them' LOL They soon hop out of your way!

I hate busy stores, I generally go early morning NEVER on Saturdays.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 06:55
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

That doesn't bother me half as much as women who stop right smack dab in the middle of a crowded grocery store asile to catch up on the lastest gossip and chit chat. And yes, I AM a woman, but it still peeves me to no end. My other grocery store gripe is with cashiers who will either hold up a line chit-chating with a customer they know or with another cashier.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 10:13

Stats: 288.4/259.2/220 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedgirl
What about the women who stand at the checkout watching the staff scanning and packing all their groceries and then realize when they’ve finished that they actually have to pay! Then they spend the next five minutes rummaging around their handbags for their purse, credit card or correct change. That drives me insane!

OMG!! This behavior both baffles and infuriates me!! And it seems to be universally a female trait. Could one of you ladies please explain this madness to those of us with y-chromosomes?
And since we're talking about being good shoppers, here's a two-for-one special.
Can you also explain why women have no problem gridlocking the checkout line by writing a check for $7.29?!?!? No self-respecting male would ever write a check in a store for anything less than $100. We learn this at guy school.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 10:56
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Carts are for wimps. Did you know that, if you practice, you can carry eight 2-liter bottles of soda by their tops?
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 10:58
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

<wandering off to find that "Low-Carb dieting makes you irritable" article for a re-read..... >