Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 22:03

Plan: undecided
Stats: 245/239.5/150 Female 5'3" or 5'4" not sure
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default What is my problem here?

Ok been doing Atkins since April this year (04). Now it seems lately everyone is really noticing the weight loss, and its only 25 pounds, but I think my body is somehow redistributing the weight so I look different. I don't see it a lot, but sometimes I notice a thing or two. Other people make a comment to the extrreme.

So what is my problem? Is there such a thing as being afraid of losing weight? Its what I've been wanting. Now I think I'm rebelling against myself. Does this make sense? When I hear all these positive comments.... I suddenly find myself eating the WRONG things. I've been very disciplined and enjoyed the changes I was feeling in my body energy-wise and the foods I was/am eating (tends to fluctuate now). I even started getting in the kitchen and getting fancy with dishes now and then, to have something different!

I don't understand it. I think maybe part of me isn't ready for the big changes... even to smaller clothes. I keep thinking, ok now I'm going to have to spend MORE money on clothes. I can't keep up with this. I went from a size 20W to a 15/16W. Was still losing... will keep losing, though I have been going back and forth and cant get lower than 195 because of it.
ANYONE else have this probleM? Man, I think I'm a mess huh.

Maybe I need to spend more time here and get more support, I did in the beginning and it helped a lot... though my family HAS been extremely supportive, especially b/c they see results.

I dunno.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 01:48

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

OMG, did I write this post?!?!?!?! I don't remember writing my story here yesterday?!?!?! Seriously, I could really have written what you did! I've been going back and forth between 180 and 188 for MONTHS - sabotaging myself!!

There's a really good thread here called "Self-Sabotage - why do we do it?" I'll see if I can find it and link it to your thread....

Nicole
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 01:52

BF:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...hlight=sabotage

Sorry, I couldn't find the other one I'd mentioned, but maybe this will help a bit.... I'm going to read it myself, now

Last edited by nikkil : Wed, Sep-08-04 at 01:59.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 01:52

BF:

#5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 02:05

BF:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=82629

Ahhh, HERE YOU GO!!! I found the link within the first link I gave you....

Well, at least it's all good reading, right???

Take care
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 05:38
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I don't have any answers for you but I agree with nikkil, I could have wrote that same post
I have been bouncing up and down in the 203-207 range for awhile now and everytime i get back down to 203 i do something stupid and end up have up at 207...
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 08:22

BF:
Default I thought I was alone, really.

Thank you nikkil and crysania. I haven't read the articles yet, but I hope there's something there for me to put to good use. I appreciate the support, I could never explain this to anyone that wasn't going through the same thing. Even having you both say that was a surprise.

I'll be back. I pray that I can stay with my goals today, just to get through one day without eating garbage.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 08:39

BF:

Ok I just posted to that thread Nikkil, the last one you sent me. The more I talk I think the more I will figure out.

I DON'T WANNNA BE A SIZE 20W again! Its not worth all the things it comes with.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 08:47

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I fight theses demons too. I find that if everyone ignores my loss, I can keep on losing, but if too much attention is on me I self sabotage.
With winter fast approaching and more clothing used to hide loss, I feel safer.
Could this be a need to get used to the new you without becoming public property before you have a chance to embrace yourself?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 12:40

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Take your time.

What's the rush? If your body isn't ready to be smaller, eat a little more, LC-wise, and stop losing. We know how to do this. Stay where you are for long enough till you get ready to be some other shape.

We are overweight for a TON of reasons, double meaning intended, and they don't all go away with LC. There's no point beating up myself and using "mean" terms like "sabotage" when the truth is, I'm only protecting some part of me that's not ready yet. Thin can be really scary, and learning to live in a different part of the social world is tricky, esp. if it's been a very long time and I am coming into it at a different age.

I had some creep paw me over in front of his wife the other day. I wonder if he would have done it 30# ago? I was able to handle it, but it took some processing. Suspect it might have taken ice cream a while back. Now for sure I know to avoid going out with them!

Might try giving yourself permission to be your current weight for 90 days. Check out some of the better thrift shops, too, if clothing budget is an issue. I don't mind "buying smaller" if I'm only paying $3 for a dress, but I hate to do it full price in case it's the wrong shape when I get there.

Good luck.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 12:55

BF:
Default Its not about being in a rush...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
What's the rush? If your body isn't ready to be smaller, eat a little more, LC-wise, and stop losing. We know how to do this. Stay where you are for long enough till you get ready to be some other shape.

I'm not in a rush. That's not the problem here. What I am saying, the word "Sabotage" does fit here, absolutely. I do LC all the way, and then.... I feel entitled to a cinnamon bun. Or a piece, or two, of chocolate cake. Then its some rice. Then I say, ah, only for the weekend, I"ll excercise tonight, KNOWING that I won't.

I was doing really well, but I don't understand this behavior, and its almost a grudging feeling I get. I AM sabotaging my WOE, no matter how much I "mostly" stick to it. I feel the pounds creeping on but even worse, I'm starting to SEE them again.

Slow and steady is fine, but not if I'm going in reverse.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 15:15
wrkn off da baby fat

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242.5/242.5/160 Female 64"
BF:

I have to say I am going through the same thing. I have been bouncing around the same 4lbs for the last almost 2 months now. I had been losing pretty steadily up until that point with a week or two of a stall. Its like now that I'm wear large tops and size 14-16 pants do I think I'm normal now....not in need of losing any more weight? Nooo? I don't think so....but I'm not quite sure what has made me lose my focus and drive. Now right now I have a lotttttttttttt on my mind....the health of my youngest...(testing her for epilepsy next week) upcoming seperation from my husband of 9 years. Yeah..I know it sounds like a lot....but last summer I dealt with my oldest dau suffering from 3 weeks of seizures and being diagnosed w/epilepsy (She has been seizure free due to meds for the past year TBTG!!)
But I guess for those 3 weeks I didn't much concentrate on weightloss. I guess its really hard to concentrate and be stressed by too many things at once. And I think U have to deal with what U have to deal with/my daughter and her illness....get rid of what U can get rid of/a creep of a husband of mine....and table what can be tabled/weight loss. Just so I can try to manage and juggle what I can.

I think this was rather cathartic to write it all out. Thanx for starting this thread and perhaps we can all support and help each other figure things out.

((Group hug?))

Last edited by sophotia : Wed, Sep-08-04 at 15:20.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 01:33

BF:

I know that in the past (when following WW) I would be going along fine and then when the going got tough - after doing the initial quick loss and then slowing down, I would always fall off plan. Then I would blame myself - that I was just too lazy and weak-willed to keep at it when the weight slowed down. I guess part of it really is that (it gets harder and don't see the quick, steady results) but also that I start to feel good about myself and look better in my clothes, etc., and then slack of on my WL plan. Is it because I'm feeling better about things and have lost that urgency to lose and that self-disgust, OR is it because I'm secretly afraid of reaching goal or closer to it? Could it be that I've been overweight for so long that I'm afraid of the changes? Have I been blaming my weight for things and some part of me knows that once that weight is in the normal range I'll have to face difficult things? I have to figure this out
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 17:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/108/110 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/25%/22%
Progress: 104%

Losing weight (going from being perceived as fat to being perceived as slender) is a major change, and stressful. It comes bundled with a lot of things which are unfamiliar and difficult to handle, like increased male attention. Some of us, I think, use our fat as a wall, to keep people at arms' length, or a litmus test, to be sure that people who like us like us for the right reasons. The first time I went from being perceived as fat to being perceived as slender I was quite young (late teens), and bewildered by the attention. I found myself having angry thoughts: "you wouldn't be so nice to me if I were still fat," and I didn't really trust anybody except those people who had been my friends before I lost the weight.

Losing weight is a great thing--contributes to health, fitness, enjoyment of life--but it is not always a walk in the park. Some folks I think would benefit from counseling to deal with the enormous adjustment that is part of the journey. I know I would have benefited from some help during that first really confusing transition.

Does any of this sound familiar to you?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 05:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifive
Losing weight (going from being perceived as fat to being perceived as slender) is a major change, and stressful. It comes bundled with a lot of things which are unfamiliar and difficult to handle, like increased male attention. Some of us, I think, use our fat as a wall, to keep people at arms' length, or a litmus test, to be sure that people who like us like us for the right reasons. The first time I went from being perceived as fat to being perceived as slender I was quite young (late teens), and bewildered by the attention. I found myself having angry thoughts: "you wouldn't be so nice to me if I were still fat," and I didn't really trust anybody except those people who had been my friends before I lost the weight.

Losing weight is a great thing--contributes to health, fitness, enjoyment of life--but it is not always a walk in the park. Some folks I think would benefit from counseling to deal with the enormous adjustment that is part of the journey. I know I would have benefited from some help during that first really confusing transition.

Does any of this sound familiar to you?
OH yes it does!!
Sorry I took so long to respond to you all, I've not been on here much. But yes it sounds familiar.... and SOPHOTIA, great big HUG To you ((((SOPHOTIA)))))

I'm pretty good at handling flirting, but only when I think people are "joking". Question is, why would I think they were joking Well sometimes they do, but usually....there's something behind it. I was just talking to my girlfriend the other day about all the good prospects that I let get away because I Never thought in my right mind that any of those flirts were actually really interested. Guess what ? And I have to say, I missed out on some really good ones... DOH!!! A person will only take passive rejection for so long, especially when you push it to the limit.

First thing she said was... well you have gOT to stop having that attitude!! WhY would you think such a thing. First words out of my mouth... cuz I was not a slender Barbie-girl. STUPID. And then we both had these shocked expressions on our faces. I didnt' even realize how deep my own words cut ya know?

So I guess I had a lot of difficulty dealing with the attention too. There's a more "confident" me starting to emerge. Its taking a little work... but hey maybe I'll be ready to meet the right person before I lose all my faculties....!!