Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 08:36

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Mary

Will do you a PM later. Me should be on my own. I am probably going to share a room with someone, don't know who, so could always offer her the chance to come along! Should be seeing Tofi on Tuesday.

Really looking forward to it. Getting excited now. Have got my job interview out of the way, so its Canada here I come.

I'm flying Air Canada from Heathrow. Due in at 15 55 your time. Don't know how long it will take to go through immigration I think it will take longer than I am used to when I normally travel.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 11:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/196/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 58%

Unfortunantlly you will not be anywhere near me, I hope you have a great time.
Advice-- When you are in Banff look out for the retro candy store, the last time I was there I waited outside. TOOOO tempting.
It is a beautiful place.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 17:40

Stats: 210/210/160 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree with Pokeineye...that candy store is way too tempting. I went there when I wasn't LC...ended up leaving with more candy than I could eat. Banff is really beautiful...are you going to the Hot Springs?
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 07:46

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi folks

I PM'd you Anne!

So it looks like:
Anne
Tofi
Mary and friend Becky

for dinner. I will ask for extra seating for any extras that want to come!

OOoohh getting hungry!
M
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 08:32

All this talk of food. I thought we were losing weight!!! I'm looking forward to trying Canadian food. I better steer clear of the pancakes and maple syrup though which I believe is a staple?
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 08:37

BF:

don't forget back bacon (Canadian Bacon) is a staple, too. And you will also learn the legend of the illustrious Tim Horton's!!

M
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 09:30
Registered Member

Stats: 273/196/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 58%

Tim Horton's. Their coffee is a part of my daily life. As silly as this sounds I swear that if I dont have my Timmy coffee I stall in weight loss. One a day gets the pounds away.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 10:43

So what is Tim Horton's? Is it a chain like Starbucks? Not that I know anything about them either, except they are taking over London.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 13:16
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleAnne
So what is Tim Horton's? Is it a chain like Starbucks? Not that I know anything about them either, except they are taking over London.

It's more like a donut shop.

Wa'il
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 18:00
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Tim Horton was a Canadian hockey legend .. from the '50s to early '70s. The chain of donut/coffee shops named after him started up in the early '60s .. now there are thousands across the country. Until the last couple of years, their motto was "Always Fresh" and donuts were baked on-premise. Now very few bake their own donuts, they're shipped in frozen .. not that it matters to me anymore, since I only go there for coffee or tea

Doreen
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 19:13

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

And I don't even like the coffee. It's pretty ordinary. But better than the 'burnt" taste IMHO of most Starbucks coffees.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 06:24

Thumbs up Anyone else want to meet up?

This is how my trip is looking. Anyone else want to meet up or give suggestions for Quebec, Montreal or as I travel through the rockies?

Monday 20 Sept: U.K. - Toronto. Fly direct to Toronto where you will be met by our representative and driven to your hotel for a two-night stay.
Hotel: BW Primrose Hotel - dinner with Itty at the Keg

Tuesday 21 Sept: Toronto. Included sightseeing. Niagara Falls. Included boat cruise. The 1815-foot CN Tower, the second tallest free standing structure in the world, is just one of Toronto’s stunning architectural highlights. Others include the clamshell blocks of New City Hall, the downtown banking district (a cluster of competing skyscrapers) and the ultra-modern Skydome stadium. You’ll see all this and more on this morning’s included city sightseeing tour. Then it’s time to prepare yourself for one of the world’s most amazing natural wonders, Niagara Falls. Our included sightseeing will offer you spectacular views of the waterfalls from scenic points on the rim of the gorge and from the decks of the Maid of the Mist, where you will experience the thundering columns of water up close! The evening is yours to enjoy the dining and entertainment scene in cosmopolitan Toronto. Why not join us for an optional dinner a third of a mile high in the soaring CN Tower, where you’ll enjoy views of the entire city and Lake Ontario?
Hotel: BW Primrose Hotel - Meet Tofi for dinner.

Wednesday 22 Sept: - Toronto - Kingston – Gananoque - Ottawa. Included sightseeing. After a short stop in historic Kingston, we drive to quaint Gananoque and the lovely Thousand Islands National Park, where you’ll enjoy our included scenic cruise along the St. Lawrence River, past wooded islands with their beautiful summer homes. In the afternoon we cross the historic Rideau Canal before arriving in Canada’s beautiful capital, Ottawa, standing at the confluence of the Ottawa, Gatineau and Rideau rivers. This former backwoods lumber town was chosen as Canada’s capital by Queen Victoria in 1858. Our included sightseeing tour of the city begins on Parliament Hill with its gothic buildings, followed by visits to the Governor General’s Official Residence, the Rideau Canal Falls, the hexagonal National Arts Centre, and the stately residences and embassies. In the evening, why not stroll down to the Byward Market, lined with friendly cafes?
Hotel: Capital Hill Hotel & Suites- Meet DoreenT for coffee in Kingston; Wa'il for dinner.

Thursday 23 Sept: Ottawa - Quebec City. After a morning at leisure in the Canadian Capital, we continue east into the French-Canadian province of Quebec, which offers a unique contrast in language and tradition. Travelling along the St. Lawrence River, we arrive in historic Quebec City for a two-night stay.
Hotel: Auberge L’Abitation de Champlain

Friday 24 Sept: Quebec City. Included sightseeing. We start the day with a guided tour of North America’s only walled city, crowned by the great turrets of the Chateau Frontenac. Old Quebec, until the British victory of 1759, was the centre of New France and today has been designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. You’ll see the old-world houses crowding the narrow streets in Lower Town and the historic Plains of Abraham, where General Wolfe stormed the slopes. The afternoon and evening are yours to explore further or relax, and your tour director will have suggestions for things to do, including dinner at a typical Quebecois restaurant.
Hotel: Auberge L’Abitation de Champlain

Saturday 25 Sept: Quebec City - Montreal. Included sightseeing. We cross the St. Lawrence River and head to the bustling river port of Montreal, the world’s second largest French-speaking city and a cosmopolitan centre of arts and culture. Major attractions on this afternoon’s included sightseeing tour include Old Montreal, Notre Dame Church, the Seminary of St. Sulpice, the Old Harbour and modern Montreal.
Your tour director will suggest a number of delightful restaurants to tempt you this evening.
Hotel: Maritime Plaza

Sunday 26 Sept: Montreal - Calgary. Transfer to the airport for your flight to Calgary, Canada’s ‘cowboy’ capital for an overnight stay. The evening is yours to relax and settle in.
Hotel: Sandman Inn - dinner with Kelly L

Monday 27 Sept: Calgary - Banff. Included sightseeing. The discovery of oil converted this all-western cattle-ranching town into a thriving city with skyscrapers and elegant shopping centres. On your morning tour, you will see many of the city’s attractions, including downtown historic Fort Calgary, the Saddledome and the Petro Canada building. We then head west through the foothills and into beautiful Banff National Park for a two-night stay. This afternoon, why not join our optional outing to Sulphur Mountain for a thrilling gondola ride complete with panoramic views of Banff's spectacular scenery?
Hotel: Homestead

Tuesday 28 Sept: Banff. The day is yours to relax or explore. For a memorable experience, why not take an exciting optional helicopter ride high over the Canadian Rockies? And in the evening, you may want to join our optional ‘Oh, Canada!’ dinner and theatre excursion, featuring Canadian cuisine and entertainment.
Hotel: Homestead

Wednesday 29 Sept: Banff - Lake Louise - Columbia Icefield - Jasper. Our first stop today is glorious Lake Louise, its cold turquoise waters reflecting the surrounding mountains and glaciers. We then make a stop at the Columbia Icefield for an exciting snowcoach ride on the 1,000-foot-thick Athabasca Glacier. Finally, it’s on to the picturesque mountain resort of Jasper for an overnight stay. You’ll enjoy an included orientation tour, and later there’s an opportunity to take an optional raft trip down the Athabasca River.
Hotel: The Astoria Hotel

Thursday 30 Sept: Jasper - Mount Robson – Sun Peaks. As you have some free time in the morning, you may like to join our optional trip to Maligne Lake, with a narrated cruise to Spirit Island. In the afternoon we follow the Fraser River to the base of spectacular Mount Robson, the highest peak in the Canadian Rockies, then drive south along the Yellowhead Highway, alongside the mighty Thompson River with spectacular vistas of the Monashee Mountains for an overnight stay in the resort town of Sun Peaks.
Hotel: Sundance Lodge

Friday 1 Oct: Sun Peaks - Victoria. Included sightseeing. We travel through British Columbia’s lush Coast Mountain Range to its majestic Pacific coastline, then sail across the Strait of Georgia and through the spectacular Gulf Islands, arriving in the late afternoon in Victoria, western Canada’s oldest and most charming city. Our included sightseeing tour takes in the famous Butchart Gardens, Marine Drive, Bastion Square and Thunderbird Park. In the evening, why not take a stroll along the waterfront?
Hotel: Embassy Inn - meet Mischa

Saturday 2 Oct: Victoria. The day is yours to explore Victoria further at your own pace. There are many sightseeing attractions to experience, including the Royal British Columbia Museum, afternoon tea at the Empress Hotel, whale watching on the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and fine shopping along Government Street. In the evening, there’s an opportunity to enjoy an optional outing that includes a carriage ride through Beacon Hill Park, followed by dinner at one of Victoria’s waterfront restaurants.
Hotel: Embassy Inn - see Mischa all day

Sunday 3 Oct: Victoria - Nanaimo - Vancouver. Included sightseeing. We head north along the east coast of Vancouver Island to the charming town of Chemainus, Canada’s only permanent outdoor art gallery. Throughout the village, murals depict the pioneer settlement of the area. At Nanaimo we board the ferry for the scenic crossing to Horseshoe Bay, reaching Vancouver by mid-afternoon for a sightseeing drive. You’ll see Vancouver’s Chinatown, Gastown, beautiful beaches and the picturesque harbour, as well as touring Stanley Park. This tour will give you plenty of ideas for seeing more of the city Canada has proudly named the ‘Gem of the Pacific’. In the evening why not take an optional gondola ride up Grouse Mountain, where you will enjoy dinner and panoramic views?
Hotel: Sandman Inn - dinner at the Fish House with the Vancouver low carbers

Monday 4 Oct: Vancouver. The day is yours to relax and explore more of Vancouver. Choose from a variety of optional excursions covering many of the city’s major attractions, or return to the beautiful gardens, towering evergreen forests, and inviting beaches of Stanley Park. Keen shoppers can take a water taxi to lively Granville Island with its outdoor markets, street entertainers and waterfront cafés. Or how about visiting historic Gastown with its steam-powered clock, antique shops, art galleries and street vendors?
Hotel: Sandman Inn

Tuesday 5 Oct: Vancouver - U.K. There’s time to do some last minute sightseeing or shopping before transferring to the airport for your overnight flight to the U.K.
Wednesday 6 Oct: Home landing in the U.K.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 07:36

BF:

Whew! Busy girl, Anne!

Did you know... (oh oh!) Tim Horton's is the number one fast food outlet in Canada? McDonald's is second! Yes, it is like Starbucks, but endearingly Canadian (and the coffee is much weaker). And you will find more donut shops in Toronto that almost anywhere else! Take a look when you are here, it is amazing!

Mary
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 07:40

BF:

So, Anne, I don't remember, are there mountains in UK? I only remember Arthur's Seat (all 800 ft), and I know it's hilly. Banff and Jasper will be absolutely phenomenal! Remember to not take pictures of the mountains until you're close, or you might find you have a whole roll of mountain pics from up to 3 hours away!

M
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 14:08

Well Folks I'm busy packing as I leave for Canada at around midnight Sunday, Toronto time. Gosh, Monday will be a long, long day. Getting real excited and looking forward to meeting you all.

Do we have any low carbers in Quebec or Montreal who want to meet up?

Itty - We don't have lots of high mountains in the UK, not like what you've got. I suspect there a bit like the Swiss Alps - I've seen more of them from a plane than close up though.

See you guys soon.