Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 08:59

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Advice on glute exercise, please

I've been doing free weights at home, and there are various exercises for my glutes on lower body day, things like kicking your leg up backwards, etc. Most of the books I've read (like Vedral) recommend 3x 15-25 reps using no to light weights.

However, I've been reading here that in general high reps/low weight are not very useful for developing muscle and can even be counterproductive. So, I'm considering getting some adjustable ankle weights and doing something like 20/15/10 at 1/3/5 lbs instead and seeing how that goes.

Does anyone here do something like this, and what do you find works best? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 09:17
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Gramalkin! Squats, deadlift, leg press depending on where you position your leg, will work the glutes.

Take a look at this: Glutes

red
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 10:08

BF:

Thanks, I already do squats and lunges with pyramided weights and they do seem to be helping, especially my quads.

I'm looking at your link, it looks like the Standing Hip Extension and Kneeling Hip Extension are pretty close to the exercises I'm talking about. The page doesn't suggest anything about reps or resistance, although the use of the cable or lever implies there IS some, but how much, how many reps, and if it is best to increase each set is what I'm wondering. If I'm going to torture my butt I might as well do it effectively, right?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 10:21
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%
Thumbs up try single squats!

One exercise that kicks my butt every time is the dumbell single-leg split squat. I do 3 sets of 8-10 (currently no weights).

The next day I can feel it all the way around my buttocks up to my lower back. I love this movement! Be careful with your knees, and good hip flexion is critical. Try the kneeling stretch.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 12:35

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Ditch the "girlie" exercises. If you want results, lift heavy. I agree with the advice you have gotten from the previous posters. When you do squats, make sure you are going all the way down. Check form on the exrx.net site. Start out with body weight until you get the form right, then gradually increase your weight, but don't stop at the pink dumbbells! I don't recommend ankle weights at all. Too much stress on the joints.

Jen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 17:09

BF:

LMAO caverjen, I do feel pretty girlie when I do those leg extension exercises! But they seem to be doing something, although with all of this pudge I'm not sure what yet - and it's only been 6 weeks. I had no idea they could be stressful to the joints - does this also apply to the cable and lever versions?

Badgergirl, those single-leg split-squats look interesting, but I am a little confused. The dumbbell version states it targets the quads, and the barbell version targets the glutes. Other than the weight medium they look identical to me. I would prefer to keep using the dumbbells I already own but target the glutes, is there any special way I should use them here? Anyone?

I have also just learned from that site that I should lengthen my lunges to bring more of my glutes into play. So, guess I'll do that.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 19:43

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

My 2 cents....

The problem with ankle (or wrist) weights, that when you swing your legs (arms) you accelerate the weights, creating a centrifugal force - along your legs - that yanks, jerks, pulls your legs - your joints. You can decrease this force by moving very slowly, with very little weights, but this way it is useless in strenghtening your legs (arms). Btw your legs are much more stronger than you think. Even to use 10 lbs ankle weights would be no challenge very soon.

I would like to repeat badgergirls advice: to do the single leg split squat, good hip flexion is critical.

Last edited by Galadriell : Tue, Aug-31-04 at 19:59.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 20:20

Plan: Loony plans
Stats: 205/146/145 Male 5'6" - 167cm
BF:28%/ around 10%/7%
Progress: 98%

BadgeGirl,

I totally agree with you.
The most time I felt my butt sore was after doing single leg squats. Especially if you go deep on those - Actually my glutes are still sore from yesterdays workout. No weights needed, especially if you do it with you free leg in front of you. Butt-Killers, absolutely!!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 08:32

BF:

Any tips to minimize the strain on the knees from this exercise? I tried a few of these last night and my working knee started complaining... or should I work up to these by doing more regular squats or lunges?

Too bad about the knee trouble, they felt great.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 09:19
"Natural Mystic"

Grimalkin, try doing it without the platform.

red
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 10:29

BF:

Red, do you mean something like this Rear Lunge?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 14:13
"Natural Mystic"

Grimalkin, I guess you can do it that way too. Also, hyperextensions should work the glutes.

I don't do specific glute exesrcises. I concentrate on the core ones like squats, presses, deadlifts. Your glutes should get worked by them. Last week my glutes were hurting from my deadlifts & squats.

red
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 14:24

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 135/130.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:26/???/18
Progress: 30%

Just my 2 cents. To really concentrate on your glutes, make sure you concentrate on pushing through your heels when doing lunges or squats. If you push through your toes it may hurt your knees.

-Aims
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 14:26
fierce!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimalkin
Badgergirl, those single-leg split-squats look interesting, but I am a little confused. The dumbbell version states it targets the quads, and the barbell version targets the glutes. Other than the weight medium they look identical to me. I would prefer to keep using the dumbbells I already own but target the glutes, is there any special way I should use them here?

Hmmm I didn't notice that. I use this exercise for my hamstrings, but I feel it most in my butt!

The day after I first tried this exercise, my entire butt was sore. And I mean all the way from the bottom of my butt where my legs end up around the whole buttock to my lower back. I use a pole for balance. I don't hang onto it, but having it there lets me get a deeper squat and, good lord, it hurts!!!

Use your dumbbells if you want, but I say try it without weights. You can really focus on a deep, deep squat and see how you feel the next day. Wherever it hurts is where it's working. (And when I say it hurts, you do know I mean in a good way, right? )

Today I did my second leg set in as many weeks and could barely walk or sit afterwards. I love it because I know these exercises will transform my lower body. I had to hang onto the stairway rail when I was going down to the basement. Weeeee!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 14:30
fierce!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimalkin
Red, do you mean something like this Rear Lunge?

I don't think rear lunges are particularly more effective than frontal. If you have knee problems, do each movement slowly and stop before you feel the strain. That is, don't squat as deeply.

The exercises at exrx.net have stretches for each major body group. They're listed on the right side. Try warming up for 5-10 minutes before your weight lifting routine and then spend 10 minutes stretching. My knees really like the kneeling stretch.

And don't squat too deeply until you strengthen your knees. Walking and down hills will do wonders for this.

Last edited by BadgerGirl : Fri, Sep-03-04 at 13:32.