Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 20:26

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianin
Steve, if you're out there... tell me how eating processed foods my body was not designed to eat is good for me, while eating whole NATURAL foods (and yes, fat is a natural product) is not good for me?

Yesterday, just for the heck of it, I looked at the ingredients, side by side, for sour cream....regular and fat-free. I can't remember the specific ingredients, but the low-fat was loaded with artificial ingredients, the regular wasn't. Sorry, but I can't see how low-fat is healthier!

Just like that CNN LC test....an oatmeal cookie or fresh strawberries dipped in dark chocolate. The cookie is healthier? Nope, uh huh.....no way!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 12:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 181/168/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins Deaths

I don't know anything about Steve or any of you, but 1 year ago my mother died in her sleep suddenly at the age of 53. The doctors couldn't find a reason for her sudden heart failure. I was of course devastated and then curious. See, five months before her death, she started the Atkins diet and had lost 25 pounds at the time of her death. Curious as to the timing of this, I started searching the internet. I found an article about a young girl who had done the same thing, and the doctors discovered that she had not been taking enough vitamins and her potassium and magnesium levels dropped to a deadly level. So, the problem I have with Atkins, is that I don't feel they are careful enough with what they tell people. There are many things to take into consideration when you start such a radical diet. For one, consult a physician (although my mom did), and for two, make sure you not only take a multivitamin, but also take potassium and magnesium. I think that was my moms deadly mistak, and I hope this helps someone who hasn't consulted a physician. Please be careful.
I am on the Atkins diet, but i'm very careful to keep up my vitamin intake, especially when I went through induction. So, maybe some of Steve's ideas are quirky, but it hit home with me. People can die if they aren't careful, and I don't need science to tell me that, or 50 proven deaths, I saw my mother die for no reason, and I hope that people take heed. SAD
  #33   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 08:16

Plan: Primal
Stats: 200/129/125 Female 163cm
BF:26
Progress: 95%

I know the meaning of all the words he used - but put them all together and they make no sense at all. Of course Atkins dieters are going to die, eventually, after having lived to a ripe healthy old age. What a plonker!!!
  #34   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 09:10

Plan: Atkins.
Stats: 226/222/161 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 6%

The attacks on Homosexuality tells me everything I need to now about this guy. Could he be working for a corn syrup or sugar company?
  #35   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 17:29

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jenbug I am so sorry for your lose.Way too young to die.I too have a bit of concern when it comes to the long term harm to my heart and arteries.
Do you know how much potassium and magnesiem we need to take daily?I have always been a vit junky and i dont think you can really get too many vitamins.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 17:47
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Jenbug-- that ONE case has already been debunked. I'm sorry for your loss, but there are too many factors to point a finger at Atkins.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 22:41

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbug
I don't know anything about Steve or any of you, but 1 year ago my mother died in her sleep suddenly at the age of 53. The doctors couldn't find a reason for her sudden heart failure. I was of course devastated and then curious. See, five months before her death, she started the Atkins diet and had lost 25 pounds at the time of her death. Curious as to the timing of this, I started searching the internet. I found an article about a young girl who had done the same thing, and the doctors discovered that she had not been taking enough vitamins and her potassium and magnesium levels dropped to a deadly level. So, the problem I have with Atkins, is that I don't feel they are careful enough with what they tell people. There are many things to take into consideration when you start such a radical diet. For one, consult a physician (although my mom did), and for two, make sure you not only take a multivitamin, but also take potassium and magnesium. I think that was my moms deadly mistak, and I hope this helps someone who hasn't consulted a physician. Please be careful.
I am on the Atkins diet, but i'm very careful to keep up my vitamin intake, especially when I went through induction. So, maybe some of Steve's ideas are quirky, but it hit home with me. People can die if they aren't careful, and I don't need science to tell me that, or 50 proven deaths, I saw my mother die for no reason, and I hope that people take heed. SAD

I am also sorry for you loss, but rest assured your mother did not die "for no reason", and that you do not develop CHD in 5 months - if you are looking for a dietary explanation for her death, a closer examination of your mother's way of eating, and other risk factors for the preceding 52 years might shed more light on her premature demise.

All low carb authors (including Atkins) stress the need for getting the best possible sources of naturally occuring vitamins and minerals in low carb vegetables and fruit, plus a wide variety of healthy fat and protein sources - which also contain vitamins and minerals, and which make such nutrients more accessible to the body. They also take a good look at possible supplements which may help raise these nutrients to optimum levels, rather than just suficiency (to avoid diseases of deficiency such as scurvy, beri beri etc).

Did your mother read DANDR (or any other low carb books)? Did she follow the diet as directed? If she even came close you can be certain that lack of necessary vitamins and minerals, or the low carb diet itself did not cause her death.

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #38   ^
Old Wed, May-18-05, 12:21

Stats: 181/168/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins Deaths

Thank you for all your interesting comments, especially the one who said that "of course people are going to die after living a ripe old age," plonker."

My mother was only 53, and that isn't a ripe old age unless your thinking like a 12yr old. Once you hit your 30's, fifty seems real young to die.

I do not blame only Atkins for my mothers death. She had bad eating habits, which she was trying to conquer by doing the Atkins program. She read the Atkins book on how to do the diet, and she was being monitored by her doctor. However, I do not think that it is emphasized enough about people taking the correct amount of vitamin supplements if you have heart problems or any other problems. I know that lack of potassium can stop your heart, I've seen it happen, and I know her lack of vitamin intake was part of the problem. How much is what I don't know, so now that I'm on Atkins, I take a multi-vitamin and 99mg of potassium and 400mg of magnesium.

There was no other explanation for her death. The coroner said he was going to attribute it to her heart, but he couldn't prove why her heart had suddenly stopped because it looked fine. So, we can all be skeptical about Steve's view, some of which I certainly disagree with, but I agree that we should be careful with these diets and make sure we take every precaution by being smart.

I just hope this helps someone to be more careful about what they do to their body. I for one eat smart.
jenbug
  #39   ^
Old Wed, May-18-05, 13:14
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

Jenbug, Reheneas's post regarding living to a ripe old age was not referring to your mother's case but, rather, the original post.

I am sorry for your loss, but your heart doesn't stop from lack of vitamins in such a short time . If that were true, there would be people dropping dead left and right since the average American doesn't get the proper amount of vitamins, dieting or not. It is good to see that you are taking care of yourself, though...it can only do you good.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, May-18-05, 15:57

Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

PCRM - physicians committee for responsible medicine AKA Animal rights! very militant against Atkins - complete madmen
  #41   ^
Old Wed, May-18-05, 16:14

Plan: Primal
Stats: 200/129/125 Female 163cm
BF:26
Progress: 95%

My apologies to Jenbug, Krissi was right I was referring to the original post. What I meant was that Dr Atkins intended for his patients and those who followed his plan to live longer and healthier lives rather than the ones that created the conditions that were killing them such as diabetes and CHD. And anecdotal evidence from many, many users of these forums have proved him right, although there are some for whom the lc lifestyle does not suit. The writer of the article had no idea what he was saying and threatening everyone who looks at a steak with imminent death was just ridiculous scaremongering. The old saying goes that there are two sure things in life - death and taxes and I intend to stave off both for as long as I possibly can by not taking any notice of people like the article writer. Once again Jenbug, I am sorry for your loss and no offence was intended.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, May-18-05, 16:41
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I know that lack of potassium can stop your heart, I've seen it happen, and I know her lack of vitamin intake was part of the problem. How much is what I don't know, so now that I'm on Atkins, I take a multi-vitamin and 99mg of potassium and 400mg of magnesium.

My sympathy on the loss of your mother. Both of my parents are ill, don't take particularly good care of themselves; and I don't know how they keep dodging the bullets.

A note on the lack of potassium, though... the average person 'round this forum gets plenty of potassium. Almost all meat and fish is a good source, as well as many different veggies. Potassium is an issue mainly during the first couple of weeks while there's a noticable diuretic effect of ketosis. If you are a little short on potassium, your leg muscles usually waste no time cramping up to let you know.

I'm sorry you've been left with a lack of closure on why she passed on. It sounded like she was taking good care of herself.