Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-04, 23:12

Plan: own
Stats: 284.5/237.5/170 Male 67"
BF:
Progress: 41%

It is available at the IGA store in Vancouver, Main and 13th Avenue outlet. I bought it along with Kellogg's Special K Carb Fit cereal. In the morning, I'll try it out. I suspect it will be outstanding.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 13:42

Plan: PP/Atkins/Transformation
Stats: 305/264/220 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

I'll check out Walmart at South Keys tonight to see if it is here yet.

BTW: Giant Tiger have Carbo Gone Chocolate Bars (2.8 oz/ 80g.) sweetened with Splenda and Isomalt (one of the lower Glycemic Index Polyols) for just $.99. THey are about 4 times the size of the little carbRite bars and cost much less. Although less sweet, they have no malitol or that funny flavor many of the Carbrite bars have. They are 1 carb for the whole bar (2 servings) and work out great for melting and cooking as well.

Last edited by Ottawa : Mon, Oct-18-04 at 17:08.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 14:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/204/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hey Ottawa, I saw those bars and wondered how they were. I'm making a trip to Walmart tonight too. FYI, they have all Atkins products at 40% off. I bought muffin mixes for 3 bucks and some change and some morning start bars for about 4 bucks a box, endulge are .99$.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 17:18

BF:

Tracy,
The bars are not quite as good as the Ross Chocolate bars (a little less sweet and less chocolatey) but they are a lot better than the Sorbee or the Carborite bar at almost $2.00 for 28 grams vs. $.99 for 80 grams and they have no funny taste or high GI "tols". They still have Isomalt but that is down with Sorbitol as a low impact sugar alcohol that has not had any of the stall or gas problems IMO that I have seen with Malitol and Xylitol.
Hopefully with being less sweet they should last a long time (I bought 24 and put them in with the baking goods except the one I tried.) There is a Chocolate Bundt Cake in the recipes here that shows drizzled chocolate and chocolate bits that I'll try.
Thanks for the tip on the mixes. I picked up several while there.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 17:21

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I love the Dairyland LC milk. I get it from Overwaitea in British Columbia.
It makes breakfast a breeze.
Pene
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 04:37
Registered Member

Plan: my own adapted
Stats: 210/187/127 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default lc milk and yogourt

Would anyone happen to know if you can make yogourt from the new Dairyland lc milk? I currently use Natrel lactose free milk at 8 carbs/cup, but it would be nice to have a lower carb alternative.
Regards
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 08:06

Stats: 210/204/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Ottawa, thanks for the tip on the bars, I might get some for Christmas baking.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 19:21

BF:

The Dark Chocolate bar is tastes close to a regular chocolate bar and would add the most taste to baking.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 20:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnfast
Would anyone happen to know if you can make yogourt from the new Dairyland lc milk? I currently use Natrel lactose free milk at 8 carbs/cup, but it would be nice to have a lower carb alternative.
Regards

It's SUCH a new product, the Carb Aware, you may be the first to try it and report back! Honestly, I don't see why not. I know some make yogurt out of heavy cream, and that has just a touch more lactose per cup. ...
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 21:01
Registered Member

link to the other post/thread where the company names (across the country) are listed, etc., for the Dairyland/Saputo Carb Aware specialty milk product, available now in the West and rolling out within the week in many other places...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=213428
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 21:25
Registered Member

Plan: my own adapted
Stats: 210/187/127 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default lc milk and yogourt

Thanks IslandGirl:
As soon as the local Walmart in Ottawa South (South Keys) gets in their supply of Dairyland LC milk (estimated at this weekend), I'll try the yogourt experiment and post an update. I know doing the "homemade" thing is seen as a lot of trouble, but in my mind there is no comparison between the store-bought junk and what you can make at home with a little bit of up-front investment in a quality yogourt maker. I also make a home-made granola, based on an Expertfoods recipe, to mix with the yogourt (instant breakfast!!!). Takes time, I know, but what a savings in many ways: money, lower carbs, and.. most importantly.. you know what you are eating!
Regards
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 07:43

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

Is it me, or does that low carb milk have a bit of "pepto bismol" after taste? I swear I taste chalky peppermint in there.

I don't notice this when mixed with chocolate whey or in cereal, only when alone in a glass...

Brobin
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 17:24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobin
Is it me, or does that low carb milk have a bit of "pepto bismol" after taste? I swear I taste chalky peppermint in there.

I don't notice this when mixed with chocolate whey or in cereal, only when alone in a glass...

Brobin

Hmmmm, I dunno about the chalky mint thing, but I've noticed an odd flavour I can't quite seem to categorize when I put the milk in my coffee -- I've always missed my milky coffee -- almost as if a hint of bitterness, and the mild sweetness seems to disappear. Quite possibly the extra whey protein provides the bitterness, but I'm surprised the sweeteners don't seeem to survive the coffee....
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 00:26

Stats: 185/131.7/132 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 101%

I've just returned from the States and got a chance to taste Hood's Low Carb Milk. I liked the taste of it and look forward to something similar. Has anyone seen Dairyland Carb Plus in Vancouver?

I hope everyone on this thread has signed the petition against the low carb legislation to stop the nonsense that will prevent us from getting low carb items from the States.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-04, 09:28

BF:

I checked out the DairyLand products at South Keys' Walmart and it's still not stocked. Has anyone in Ontario found it in other locations?