Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 13:56
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 220/190/135
BF:
Progress: 35%
Wink New one

Hi I have just finished reading the book "Adkins Diet Revolution" and I am ready to start. I have no idea how I am going to be able to give up carb's, but I know it is my only option. I am so overwieght now I am not enjoying life. Everything is so difficult. I am tired all the time. So Tomorrow I begin the induction period. I am worried about my will power. I have always failed before. I have to succeed. I can't live like this anymore.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 14:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Welcome to the Forum Angee

Welcome.

Well done. The first step is always the most difficult. You have actually taken three steps already. Reading the book, (2) deciding you are going to DO it, and (3) finding yourself the best support you could to help you along.

I DO know how you feel. I was in exactly this same space in May this year. My life has turned around. I am not tired all the time. I am more than half way to my goal. I love not having mood swings or getting depressed. And I have made sooooo many friends here it is unbelievable. I even met up with five of them recently and it was the best afternoon-evening I have had for some time.

WAY TO GO. May I suggest you look around and think about starting a journal. It is a great way of keeping track of your progress and getting help from others. Besides I love looking at what people eat.

One more tip. Give it 100% commitment for the first two weeks. Once you get past Induction your attitude to carbs will have changed completely and you will feel so much stronger it will be MUCH EASIER to do battle with carbs.

Take care.

Last edited by fiona : Sun, Sep-16-01 at 14:14.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 14:35
Registered Member

BF:
Default thank you

Dear Fiona
Thank you so much for the support. You have no idea how much it means.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 16:37

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

I used to think that I could not give up carbs too. I was SO addicted to my bread, pasta, sweet rolls, candy etc. I was a bit skeptical at first. However, after about a week...cravings for carb foods completely VANISHED! I'm never hungry and the thought of eating a candy bar right now makes me ill (yuck!)

Be prepared for a few rocky days ahead as your body withdraws from carbohydrates. Changing over to a completely different type of metabolism can be hard on you. I had weakness, fatigue, irritibility and headaches for a few days at the start (most people seem to have some degree of symptoms like this). However after about 4 or 5 days, it all disappeared and I felt GREAT! Just stick it out over the first few days, and the rest will be EASY!

Also remember to drink plenty of water!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 17:45

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome aboard angee! you're off to a great start by reading dr atkins! you're ready to go now! the first couple of days may be difficult, but stick with it! it really is the easiest way to lose weight! you really don't need willpower!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 10:00
Registered Member

BF:
Question snacks

Thank you for all your support! What do you guys do for snacks in the first two weeks? Any ideas and please no more pickles....I want chocolate and coffee any alternatives? Beverages also...I can't seem to drink the herbal tea. I tried mint...any suggestions?
And I am so tired of water. I am moaning...Everyone says make it through the first week. I only have 5 more days to go. Moan Moan Moan...sorry guys....
Love Ang
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 10:23

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Welcome aboard! Admitting you have a problem is the first step. LOL But really, if you put your mind to it and give yourself no other option but to succeed, you will do it!
As for the water, it takes some getting used to. Try Crystal Light Raspberry Ice. It is really yummy and takes care of any craving for sweets. I've heard that some people stall with the use of aspartame, but it hasn't affected my weight loss at all. My husband lives on the stuff and he has lost 53lbs. since july 13! Makes me sick! Bad hubby!
Heather
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 18:11

BF:

Snacks during induction - try to stick to protein-filled food like a bit of chicken, a piece of cheese, beef jerky (if you can find the kind without sugar added), and the like.

I know it's hard to drink enough water at first, but once you get used to it, I bet you'll have a much easier time and actually start craving it. As an alternative, try Canada Dry Sparkling Water. It's just plain carbonated water and natural flavors. Nothing else added. It comes in a variety of flavors and is good if you're craving something fizzy. As far as coffee goes, I switched to decaf after reading about caffeine perhaps being a stall producer. I drink about 2 cups of decaf in the morning with a dollop of heavy cream and Splenda sweetener.

I'd stay away from anything that even resembles chocolate, especially during induction. Using any of those sugar free chocolates could trigger cravings for real chocolate goodies. If you stick it out a bit longer, your cravings for it will probably greatly reduce, if not vanish altogether.

Good luck and I know you're going to make it through induction just fine and onward to a better life!

#9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-01, 13:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Angee

Quote:
Originally posted by Angee
:.... I am worried about my will power. I have always failed before. I have to succeed. I can't live like this anymore.
There is no failure until you give up and quit. You might stumble, fall off the wagon, make mistakes or wrong choices, but each time is a learning experience and you move on. We'll be here for you every step of the way!

Just remember my signature line ... You can't win the game if you quit playing. You might not win every single hand, but as long as you keep playing ... you're bound to win sooner or later.

Coffee ... I drink regular coffee with caffeine in it, and seems to make no difference ... ie, I have stopped it in the past. You have to try for yourself ... some folks do have a problem with caffeine slowing their weight loss. But I have cut WAY back, because coffee has carbs, 0.8g in a small 6 fl. oz cup. If you think about it, the average mug holds 10 oz, which is nearly 1.3g carbs. 2 or 3 mugs of coffee can add up .. so you need to be careful, especially if you use cream and/or packets of sweetener, which also have carbs in them.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-01, 13:39

Stats: 144/134/126
BF:
Progress: 56%

Angee

Sorry to hear you were feeling so bad about yourself at the beginning of this week, I hope you are now in the swing of things and seeing some results.

In the few days before I started LC I couldn't conceive how I would ever get past breakfast, as previously that was all I ate for that meal. The first couple of days I did suffer with headaches and tiredness but that lifted by day 3. Now, nearing the end of week 3 I have so much energy, I swim for an hour each morning, walk my dog each day and still have time to do all those other exciting things, like ironing, cooking, housework and running a home with 2 kids.

I am sleeping so well, which was always a problem with me before. But the most important thing is that I can see my body changing every few days, the goosh is going from my tummy and my saddlebag thighs are getting smaller.

Regarding snacks, I enjoy slices of salami wrapped around some Philadelphia, I also love these little cheeses called Mini Baby Bel, don't know if you get them over there, they look like Edam (wrapped in red wax) but they are full fat French cheese, followed by 2 strawberrys (I am on week 3). I know it's not chocolate but it definitely satisfies the craving.

Keep going Angee, you will soon very differently about everything.

Talk to you again.

Best Wishes

Sharone
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-01, 09:35
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks guys

You guys are great, so supportive. It is so wonderful to come on here and know that I am not alone. My best friend is a skinny. I love her but she doesn't understand the struggle. She feels fat at 120 lbs. Thank you so much for all the support. You make me feel so much better. You really understand. Congrats to all you also. Your progress it very impressive and it makes me feel like I can accomplish this...and will.

Day 5
I weighed 214 this morning down from 219 at Day 1.
I am feeling much better. I found some strawberry flavored water/with fizz. It has apertame in it..but on the list of ingredients it is 4th down on the list...and no carbs,fats,calories or anything else. The headaches have almost stopped and today I feel better. The cravings have slowed down. It is still hard to make dinner and breakfast and lunch for everyone else. But it is getting easier. Thanks guys
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-01, 11:29

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hello Angee, what helped me to be able to serve the kids their food (my NO NO FOODS) was associating the food with the pain of being FAT. I was FAT!!! Try the association, you wont want to get anyway near those Bad Carb filled foods. Try it, and let me know how it works. (Its a Tony Robbins idea)
Good Luck
Heather
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-01, 19:00

BF:

Hey there Angee!

Why don't you start a journal under the journal/bootcamp section. That way you can post all that you're eating and drinking and what supplements and so forth. We have a lot of knowledgable people who are really good at spotting potential trouble spots or offering suggestions at how to spice things up a bit.

You mentioned the fizzy water. Have you tried Canada Dry's Sparkling Water yet? It doesn't have any kind of sweetner in it at all. No aspartame. I'm really getting addicted to it. Yummy stuff.

You're off to a good start! Keep up the good work.

(P.S. One of my best friends is a skinny like your friend. She never weighs more than 100 lbs, and pretty much eats whatever she wants. ugh!! She doesn't and really can't understand either)
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 12:01
Registered Member

BF:
Smile Raven and Heather

Thank you so much for the ideas. They are so helpful.
You guys really are great and your accomplishments make it seem possible for me .

Day 6= 212 lbs...I can't believe this is working. I know it is only 7 lbs...but I never lose 7 lbs in the first week....even if I eat nothing...

thanks again...I know I keep saying that...but I mean it ....
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 12:04
Registered Member

BF:
Wink Everyone I didn't mean to leave anyone out

You have all been very supportive and everyone's help has been amazing....thank you