Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 14:04

Plan: never
Stats: 140/120/120 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress:
Default READ! this will answer all your atkins questions

From the day I heard about the Atkins diet I knew it was bad news. but i tried to stay open to the idea and decided to look into it more. In the August 2004 edition of national geographic there is an article on dieting by Ms. Cathy Newman. It turns out YES the atkins diet does help you lose weight, however, within 6 months gain it all back. In the case of my mother-in-law, she lost 40 pounds on the atkins diet, then gained 60. Also, this diet is extremely bad for you. The atkins diet increases your chances of getting breast cancer, prostate cancer, heart disease, constipation, headaches, and even bad breath. Did you know that Dr. Atkins didn't have himself autopsied when he died? Marion Nestle, a professor of nutrition, food studies, and public health, says that the best way to lose wieght, keep it off and stay healthy is simply to eat fewer calories. 1,600 a day for woman and 2,200 for men. I lost wieght by switching to a vegan diet for a while. I have to say, it was pretty hard, but I've never felt better in my life. My energy is through the roof and I'm very healthy. So, if you have the motivation, that is definately the diet I would suggest even if you dont care about animals. If you need help, I'm pretty sure the PETA website has vegetarian starter kits.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 14:10

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryrock
From the day I heard about the Atkins diet I knew it was bad news. but i tried to stay open to the idea and decided to look into it more. In the August 2004 edition of national geographic there is an article on dieting by Ms. Cathy Newman. It turns out YES the atkins diet does help you lose weight, however, within 6 months gain it all back. In the case of my mother-in-law, she lost 40 pounds on the atkins diet, then gained 60. Also, this diet is extremely bad for you. The atkins diet increases your chances of getting breast cancer, prostate cancer, heart disease, constipation, headaches, and even bad breath. Did you know that Dr. Atkins didn't have himself autopsied when he died? Marion Nestle, a professor of nutrition, food studies, and public health, says that the best way to lose wieght, keep it off and stay healthy is simply to eat fewer calories. 1,600 a day for woman and 2,200 for men. I lost wieght by switching to a vegan diet for a while. I have to say, it was pretty hard, but I've never felt better in my life. My energy is through the roof and I'm very healthy. So, if you have the motivation, that is definately the diet I would suggest even if you dont care about animals. If you need help, I'm pretty sure the PETA website has vegetarian starter kits.

References to peer reviewed studies specifically on low carb that support everything you just said, please?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 14:18
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Thank you SO much... I've never seen such a concise compilation of all the myths and misconceptions about Atkins all in one paragraph before.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 14:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

And throwing in PETA...the Pet Killers, as well.

Thank you for reminding me that it's best to listen to my own body...not just any body.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 14:29
Fully Caffeinated

Do people get PETA points for coming to the board and trying to save us??? Save up enough and you get your very OWN fanatic franchise?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 14:36

Stats: 242/175/175 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 100%

your mother in law lost 40 lbs then gained 60? obviously she has no self control! how can you not see the weight creeping back on? This is a way of life and not a diet, I will check out the PETA site while I eat my 12 Oz T-Bone.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 14:38
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

One vegetarian Atkinsite here for inspection.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 14:43

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Well, I felt bad and came back, because cherryrock could honestly believe PETA are not terrorists and we are misguided.

First of all, PETA are terrorists, and for people who are supposed to care about animals, why do they euthanize any animal they come across?
http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/topics.do?topic=peta

There are many people with ethical considerations regarding vegetarianism, I just caution you that you MUST consume animal products of some kind for the B vitamins. That is a fact.

Also, the research that shows Fat & Animal foods are dangerous are actually bogus science, in my opinion.
http://www.musc.edu/psychiatry/slater/Taubes1.html

You can't believe everything you read. But, with proper research, you can find something to believe.

And there's the fact that I've been Atkinsing over a year, weight's still gone...I've never felt better. But of course that is anecdotal evidence.

And, by the way, the information you provided DID NOT answer ANY Atkins questions...
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 14:48

BF:
Progress:

Whoa, isn't the whole point of this forum to say MY opinion. Besides, I've read threw all the Atkins horror stories. Are you so attatched to meat that because i used to be meat-free you'll completely shun me? Veganism is what worked for me and many of my friends. Im not some animal activist freak out trying to rid the world of bunless hamburgers and low-carb turkey wraps. Also, everything I stated about the atkins diet is fact. My points are backed up by The New England Journal of Medicince, the director of the Preventitive Medicine Research Institute, countless nutritionists and my personal physician. Many things can help you lose wieght, smoking, amphetamines, bulimea, ect ect, it doesnt mean its healthy.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 14:52
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I have never seen an actual medical article from a reputable peer reviewed journal ever say Atkins increases the chances of getting breast cancer, prostate cancer or heart disease. Where are these studies?

Besides, I am a vegetarian low carber as I stated before.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 15:06
Fully Caffeinated

Sorry... I was lost, pondering how someone could "have himself autopsied".......
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 15:13
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

Oddly, the only study I know relating to LCing and breast cancer indicated it was LOWER in LC dieters.
The forum isn't mereley about stating opinions. It's primarily about support for LCers. Objections founded in new studies, research or insights in physiology will be gratefully recieved.

You may care to note - as Paleo pointed out - there are vegetarian LCers here.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 15:13

Plan: Strict Atkins
Stats: 290/195/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 68%

Could you reference the article in the new england journal please?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 15:24

BF:
Progress: