Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 12:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/ 000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default reheating Dreamfields Pasta

I had read in another forum that the digestible portion of carbs went way up if you reheated cooked Dreamfields pasta. I was concerned, so I wrote to the company. The following was their reply to me.

Cherie.

Thank you for contacting us to ask about reheating of
Dreamfields pasta. Based on the way the pasta is
made, and how our special fiber and protein blend
protects the carbs, we don't believe that reheating
will affect the level of digestible carbs. This has
been supported by initial tests we've conducted under
a variety of preparation, heating and re-use methods.
We would be interested in understanding what
approaches you've taken to re-heating, what the dish
was that you prepared, how you re-heated it (i.e. oven
or microwave), and what your experience was as we want
to be sure we continue to assess all methods our
consumers use in preparing and enjoying Dreamfields.

=====
Dreamfields
1800-250-1917
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 03:06

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

That's good to know. I've only used the DF a few times but I would make 2 servings at a time and refrigerate and then reheat it (cheesy tuna casserole). When I read that it could affect the carb count I FREAKED

Thanks for posting this!

Nicole
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 04:37
Registered Member

Stats: 136/120/118 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 89%

That's strange.
I just wrote to them a week ago about this very same thing and then called them and the lady said they had to investigate because they didn't know. She said she would email me back with the results of looking into it and I haven't heard anything.
I wouldn't think they wouldn't have had time in a week to do studies of that nature.
HUM,
Susie
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 15:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 208/179/170 Male 67 inches
BF:a whole bunch
Progress: 76%

perhaps u were talking to a moron on the phone, the world is filled with people doing jobs they know absolutely nothing about,

u can go into the same store and ask 5 different people the same question, one will know the answer the 2 will send u to a different store, 1 will look at u as if u are retarded and the other one will say ill be right back with the answer, u may not see the last person ever again
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 17:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Giving the people concerned the benefit of the doubt, people express what they perceive the answer to be in different ways, if you reread the answers they really aren't that much different, just expressed differently. Stating that an unknown person could be a moron is a little out there for me personally. But I'm a little off the initial topic, I have reheated Dreamfields penne and sauce in the microwave, and it didn't appear to affect my weight at all.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 18:34

Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20
Progress: 100%

FYI -

http://www.ediets.com/news/article....id=6&code=75960

The Perfect Pasta... Or A Low-Carb Lie?

By Becky Billingsley
Special for eDiets

August 14, 2004

Is it a field of pasta dreams or an over-liberal use of terminology?

In recent months, one of the most hotly debated topics in low-carb chat rooms and on message boards is the new Dreamfields pasta, released this year by the DNA Dreamfields Company. Its makers claim that although one two-ounce serving of their pasta contains 42 grams of carbohydrate -- just like "regular" pasta -- and is made primarily of enriched semolina -- just like regular pasta -- they are able to control 37 grams so that only 5 grams carbohydrate are digested.

Even the term that Dreamfields coined for counting their carbs, "net digestible carbs," is new.

Dreamfields inventor Jon Anfinsen says he inserts the word digestible into the final carb calculation because he evaluates carb impact by its digestibility, which is tested by measuring blood glucose levels.

"Our product is unique from the standpoint that the product changes in digestibility as it goes through the system," he said in a recent phone interview. "The way our body processes foods is what determines [the final carb count]. The body processes it, then we measure it based on blood glucose. If [food] is not digested in the small intestine, it passes to the colon, ferments like fiber, then you get all the benefits of fiber."

Which means that this pasta, with its matrix fiber shield, should prevent blood glucose spikes, which would be wonderful news for diabetics.

This measure of blood glucose levels comes from in vivo (live people) studies. A quality control test, Anfinsen said, involved some 45 to 50 people who were screened as healthy people without any metabolic disorders. Those test subjects underwent a total of 300 to 400 test runs.

A separate study was conducted with 12 people, who were chosen randomly. They were observed in 32 tests. That test was done at AMK Research, Inc., and one of the researchers there, John Abernethy, M.D., is on the Dreamfields advisory board. Dreamfields released the results of that study, which shows that after two hours, the test subjects’ blood glucose indicated absorption of 5 grams of carbohydrate.

"I had a discussion with a number of colleagues about this, and we can’t figure out how it could work," said Dr. David A. Levitsky, a professor of nutrition science and psychology at Cornell University.

Many Dreamfields advocates think it tastes no different from regular pasta, and the company makes much of that. Other reduced-carbohydrate pastas use dilution to decrease the carb count, such as by adding soy fillers. Those pastas can feel gummy, especially if they aren’t allowed enough cooking time. Dreamfields cooks in the same amount of time as regular pasta -- about 8 to 10 minutes. That makes Dr. Levitsky skeptical.

"I agree if you coat the carbohydrate granules, it could block absorption," Levitsky said, "[but] it’s not going to act like a carbohydrate anymore. The property of starch, the chewy consistency, should be blocked. It should block its interaction with enzymes in the [gastro intestinal] tract, and it should take longer to cook. It should be quite different indeed if the starch granules are blocked.

"If what they’re doing is adding soluble fiber, it would have a beneficial effect for diabetics," he said. "It will slow down the rate at which the stomach dumps its contents and will decrease the rate of absorption. In terms of diabetics, yeah, that would probably be more beneficial than eating ordinary pasta.

"That’s what I’m very skeptical of. [The Dreamfields] fiber blend is all good soluble gums, which are known to decrease the rate of absorption. But it only affects the rate, not how much is absorbed. That’s what my colleagues and I highly doubt, but that’s without seeing the [testing] data."

The professor isn’t the only skeptic. Pat Vasconcellos, R.D., a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, said while the concept is interesting, she would like to see more tests performed.

"Let’s have an independent testing," she said, "and have a website to go into, so we can go in and do our own assessing. And let’s test with diabetics and see how they do. I’m looking at this more medically, at those people sensitive to carbs."

Elaine Payne is president of Low-Carb Connoisseur, an online low-carb specialty store at www.low-carb.com. She refuses to sell Dreamfields.

"We have a message board on our site, and we found that diabetics had to test beyond their normal time period. There was a delayed spike going four to five hours… [Dreamfields] is obviously different, but you have to suspend your belief to think it’s down to five grams carbohydrate."

The product testing performed by AMK Research monitored blood glucose up to two hours after people ate the pasta. David Mendosa, a diabetic who maintains a website at www.medosa.com, performed glucose tests on himself after eating Dreamfields. His results, which show no appreciable blood glucose spikes, are often referred to on low-carb message boards as proof that the product does what it promises. But Mendosa’s data is only for one and two hours after eating.

Tonya Root is a diabetic and a journalist who lives in Myrtle Beach, SC. She is sensitive to glucose spikes after eating pasta, and she tried Dreamfields twice.

The first time she ate a two-ounce serving, plain. She started with a blood glucose level of 109 (80 to 120 is normal for people without diabetes). After one hour her blood glucose was 127, and after two hours it was 139.

"But four hours later," Root wrote in an email, "when my tummy started to rumble and I was searching for a snack, my blood sugar reading was 189."

Root said that was unusual, because normally that long after she eats her blood sugar is near normal again.

The second time she had a bit more than a suggested serving size, topped with Ragu light tomato and basil sauce, and one piece of bread. Before the meal her blood sugar was 112, after two hours it was 197 and after four hours it was 227.

"That may sound high, but it’s actually better than if I had regular pasta because then it would be at or very close to 300 and I would feel very sluggish. I never got that sluggish feeling I normally get when I’ve had too many carbs at once, so that was a good thing."

So, in anecdotal reporting, some people are experiencing delayed blood glucose elevations, which could be good news for diabetics. But skeptics are still undecided about the validity of the claim of a serving having 37 grams of controlled carbs, especially for people who are more concerned about reducing carb intake rather than monitoring blood sugar levels.

Are the carbs controlled so long they’re expelled from the body before they can be digested, or does the delayed blood sugar influence mask a slow carbohydrate absorption?

Only more testing will show that definitively.

"It raises a lot of questions," said Joy Short, Director of the Didactic Program in Dietetics in the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics at Saint Louis University.

Short is concerned that, because the Food and Drug Administration has not yet issued definitions or guidelines for low-carbohydrate food labeling, Dreamfield’s "net digestible carbs" could be a marketing gimmick.

She points out that a serving of Dreamfields pasta has 190 calories, which is comparable to regular pasta. She likens this and other unsubstantiated low-carb claims to the low-fat craze of a decade ago that had some dieters convinced they could over-indulge in low-fat foods and disregard calorie intake.

"Until we come up with some definitions for these terms, it’s really just buyer beware," she said. "It sounds too good to be true, and it probably is."

We keep you informed of the best choices and best foods, as well as the latest trends in diet and nutrition, and whether or not they're worth your while.

Becky Billingsley is the editor of Coastal Carolina Dining and CEO of The Food Syndicate. Contact her at becky~thefoodsyndicate.com.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 13:06

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

heres the web page for dreamfield

http://www.mendosa.com/dreamfields_pasta.htm
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-04, 08:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 255/255/170 Female 5'9
BF:

I haven't been back to this forum for a long while. I was just trying to find some information about the Dreamfields stuff.

what's the general consensus of the low-carbers on this forum?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-04, 10:06

Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I think the general consensus up until a few weeks ago was blissful ignorance. Thanks to the eye opening article posted by steph z, there is much more concern about it's potential impact. In other words... there is no consensus
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-04, 21:55
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

SO far that article seems to be the only one I've seen questioning it. Most people I know have continued to use it with no ill effects.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 04:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 223/197/150 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress:

Based on the article, it sounds like this product might be better suited for Sugar Busters followers or folks who follow the glycemic index method of eating rather than total carb counting?

Nosox
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 18:58

Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20
Progress: 100%

I sure wish the Dreamfields folks would respond to my email questioning if in their research, if they measured the glucose levels AFTER the 2 hours and if not, why not. They did not respond to me, other than mailing me some coupons (so I know they received the email).

I know how it affects me personally, and as I am a Type 1 diabetic, who produces no insulin, I had a great blood sugar rise after 2 hours of eating the product. The first 2 hours, my blood sugar levels hardly budged.

Time may tell where this goes, in the end.