Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 19:42

Plan: CAD
Stats: 235.5/219/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Exclamation Finally!

Hi All,

I just started CAD three days ago and KNOW that this is a lifestyle I can live with.

I've tried Atkins time and time again and found that I just could'nt stay on it. My most recent attempt with Atkins was about two weeks ago...I lost a quick ten pounds (water weight I suppose) but had a killer headache I couldn't shake. So with apprehension (fear of gaining the weight back) I switched to CAD. I haven't gained a bit of it back. At this point (although very overweight) I'm not concerned with losing weight...I just want to wake up with out feeling hung over.

In the past, my cravings were so bad I'd wake up during the night on a RAMPAGE for anything sweet! Cereal, doughnuts, chocoate, ANYTHING! Geez I wasn't even fully awake. In times when there was nothing readily available I resorted to a tiny bit of peanut butter with a huge, honkin', sloppy blob of strawberry jelly. Some would call this a sleep disorder (perhaps rightfully so as there could be an emotional element), but more so I think it's a severe carb addict.

Today I can "happily and restfully" say that last night I slept through the night without once waking up to eat. I'm looking forward to many, many more nights of "sugar-free" sleep.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 22:05

Stats: 171/146.0/133 Female 5'4" and 1/4
BF:
Progress: 66%

Welcome to CAD! It has been a lifesaver for me, Atkins wasn't a plan I could live with long-term. You've made it past the first three days, those are always the hardest as the body re-adjusts and cravings finally disappear. (Though if you switched directly from Atkins you may not have had that problem.) Anyway, it's always great to see new people around here, I tell everyone who will listen about CAD Feel free to pop into people's journals and say hi if the forum seems quiet, sometimes most of the activity is there. Congrats on the ten-pound loss, too!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 15:08
Registered Member

Stats: 149/146.6/137 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 20%

It's so true. I had the same problem with Atkin's...the smallest surge of sugar would send me in a tailspin....looking and searching for any carbs I could stuff in my mouth. I'd lose and re-gain more...a cycle that would never get me ahead. I love CALP. I can hold off to my RM and even if I have a slightly "out of the rules" RM, I don't have the guilt that I used to have and find it way easier to jump right back on.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 20:11

Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%
Talking

I am currently doing a 2 week induction but I am a true CAD fan. I love the plan and know it is one I can do foever...where as Atkins is very hard for me to do long term. I am just trying to get off the sugar for the 2 weeks and go from there. I am immediately going from the induction to CAD. I have been stuck for awhile so I am looking forward to jump starting my plan.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 06:06

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Hi Ellen,

Welcome to CAD!
I remember those rampages well! That desperate, driven feeling. I have been almost completely free of that sort of thing all the time I have been on CAD, so almost 2 years. It is wonderful.

Good luck!
Tracy
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 06:43
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

Welcome Ellen! I am a former Atkinser too.....have been following CAD since mid-June and am loving it!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 14:18
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi Ellen-
Welcome to CAD!
Eno
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 12:40

Stats: 214/208/155 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Ellen! I'm with you! Lost a quick 8 lbs with Atkins, but then just couldn't stick it out. Moving to CAD because it is something I can live with long-term. I look forward to my reward meals and find that I'm not as hungry between meals - and at meals - as I was on straight Atkins.

Maybe someone else can relate to this: it's almost like too much meat, eggs, etc., with too little veggies made me feel a little "toxic".. whereas balancing more veggies and the RM carbs feels healthier for my body. Guess I'm a true Carb Addict.

So, hang in there, and let's all keep each other encouraged, OK? I need to hear that you're all out there and doing well!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 16:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

How is this plan? Where can I find information about it? Thanks.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 18:46

Stats: 214/208/155 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi - The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet is a great alternative to Atkins. You get one meal a day (Reward Meal) where you can eat carbs, balanced with protein and veggies, even have dessert if you want. You must eat the entire meal within one hour, though, to keep insulin levels steady. Much more details to the plan, but here's the official home page:

http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/index.html

You can get the books in paperback - at least the original CAD diet. Let us know what you think of it - you seem to be doing well losing - keep up the good work!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 14:50
Registered Member

Plan: carbohydrate addicts
Stats: 177.5/177.5/155 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hey! I am a brand new CAD/CALP dieter. I had to buy the CAD book to truly understand the plan of CALP. I am very satisfied so far and I'm just talking 3 days. On my CM meals, do I have to have veggies? Can I just have protein? I take a lot of medications, including inflammatories and hope this plan works for me. I have osteoarthritis everywhere. I have been on Aitken's for two years and lost very little, but for me not to gain was a real plus. Please give me feedback on meds and should I do CAD or CALP? I'm finding it difficult to give up diet soda. Would appreciate all feedback!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 14:53
Registered Member

Plan: carbohydrate addicts
Stats: 177.5/177.5/155 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hey! I am a brand new CAD/CALP dieter. I had to buy the CAD book to truly understand the plan of CALP. I am very satisfied so far and I'm just talking 3 days. On my CM meals, do I have to have veggies? Can I just have protein? I take a lot of medications, including inflammatories and hope this plan works for me. I have osteoarthritis everywhere. I have been on Atkin's for two years and lost very little, but for me not to gain was a real plus. My chiropractor put me on this s-f diet. I don't suffer with arthritic pain as bad now. Please give me feedback on meds and should I do CAD or CALP? I'm finding it difficult to give up diet soda. Would appreciate all feedback!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 18:08

BF:

Hi llwilson,

I apologize that I have been away from the board for so long. It's summertime and I have four children...so we're trying to squeeze in those little trips we look so forward to.

Totally replacing the salad and veggies with protien seems to resemble Atkins too much to really be following CAD. The salad/veggies eaten before the Reward Meal is to tone down the appetite/cravings so we don't go "hog-wild" with the Reward Meal. Trust me, I've done this once or twice...and found that I entirely over-ate. The salad and veggies are really important elements to CAD.

Boy! I really hate it when I'm told to consult my doctor before diet and exercise program...but I'm going to suggest that you do this anyway. Especially since you mentioned medications and a spell of health issues. Talk to your physician about this...see what he/she says. It can't hurt to look at several sides of issue.

Here's to good health and feeling good...best of luck to you!!!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 18:16

BF:

Thanks for the nice welcome! WOW!!! I'm really impressed with your progress. Congrats and keep it up!

Ellen
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 18:18

BF:

Oops. Still learning how to use this board. Above "congrats" is for "JosieKat."