Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, Oct-08-04, 13:11

Plan: Atkins, PP, SB
Stats: 179/125.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Thanks for the tip! Do you know how much extra sweetner you put in?

Debora
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 09:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 135/133/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

I try to stay away from any of those preperpared foods---If I make it I know what is in it!!

Last edited by thinmint : Wed, Oct-20-04 at 09:21. Reason: spelling
  #93   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 00:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 509/472/250 Male 6 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

The Atkins maple syrup should just be called maple flavored water. It's so watery - IMO Walden Farms syrup is much tastier.
  #94   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 10:59
Registered Member

Stats: 285/158/150 Female 5'4"
BF:ohmy!..not
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrightguy
The Atkins maple syrup should just be called maple flavored water. It's so watery - IMO Walden Farms syrup is much tastier.

Oh yes, I have to agree on the Atkins syrup being colored water..... I even bought some maple extract to try to fix it.... but it didn't help. I should try to find this Walden Farms brand...
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 15:03

Stats: 175/175/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I wanted to let everyone know about the Advantage Shake Mix from Atkins, it's really good. I tried the Carb Options shakes and YUCK! The Advantage Kind is so much better, but be sure you mix it and leave it in the fridge overnight, tastes even better like that....just make sure it's cold
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 15:59

Plan: Atkins Ind. + exercise
Stats: 209.0/200.6/155 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I rely heavily on Atkins shakes for breakfast. I do not feel hungry early in the morning and often go until 11 or 12 on just coffee. I know for me that part of being successful is revving up my metolism by making sure I eat at regular intervals. An atkins shake (the mix or pre-made) with one or two tablespoons of coconut milk and/or heavy cream is absolutely luscious. Myoplex shakes are really good too.
  #97   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 08:44

Stats: 326/244/135 Female 55
BF:
Progress:
Default oils

Has anyone ever tried avacado oils? I saw some on this website diabeticfoodsource.com and I also saw some garlic and mcnut oils that looked interesting. I have tried the chocolate brownies and they tasted pretty good but I was wondering if anyone has tried the oils
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 18:00

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 186/155/148 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default we should forget taste I think

taste is such a subjective thing (and is everywhere in the products forum) and this thread has such an important purpose - showing which products have unhealthy stuff in them or that will wreck your diet. There is so much crap now that is "low carb" that even leaving out how something tastes, and just going by what ingredients are in it, the list will be long! Ingredients tell the whole story IMHO.

I add in any product with maltitol. Yuh, it's cheap so companies like to use it, but it's too high up on the glycemic index to be really low carb. In the quantities I like to eat ;- )
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 18:13

BF:
Thumbs up love these oils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist
"I also believe that olive oil*, avocado oil, almond oil, hazelnut oil, pecan oil, high-oleic sunflower oil*, high-oleic safflower oil*, and even super canola oil due to their very high monounsaturated and decent, if not perfect omega ratios are healthful oils and should be used in foods according to their various smoke points."

I like to experiment with different oils too. I found a chart of oil properties and life has been fun since then. Before I used just olive oil all the time.

"I also find Enova very intriguing (http://www.enovaoil.com/) -- I am very pro-technology and specialty items."

I'm going to this site right now. Thanks for the tip. "specialty" is my middle name.

"In terms of saturated fats I think cocoa butter (1/3 stearic acid, 1/3 monounsaturated fat) and non-hydrogenated lard (45% monounsaturated) are probably best "

I have cocoa butter but let someone convince me it was bad, even though the numbers say it is good. It's good to be reminded why I bought it and it is time to get it off my shelf!
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 18:25

BF:
Default good ice cream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryle
Whatever you do, don't ever try Ben and Jerry's low carb ice cream. It has got to be the most vile tasting piece of sh-- I have ever put in my mouth!
The rest of my family got the good stuff and I almost cried!

Have you tried the low carb Klondike chocolate covered ice cream bars? I think they are really good. But, haven't looked to see if there is bad ingredients. I cannot believe I forgot to (bad girl!) - probably because I was soooo desperate for an ice cream.
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 18:39

BF:
Thumbs up wheat free cupcakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise
(I haven't tasted it myself, as I can't eat wheat.)

Because of the wheat thing, and that I avoid SA's (except erythritol) and transfats like the plague, I haven't tried many specific low-carb products.

Tortoise, have you tried the nibbles from mainecottagefoods.com? They are little chocolate covered cupcakes made from almond meal. My wheat free friend lives on them. Plus they have no trans fats and are sweetened with erythritol. They were nice and made her a mini cake (for a birthday) too.
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 18:44

BF:
Exclamation so weird it must be good

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennLynnRN
I can't imagine how people don't like the Atkins Banana Nut muffin!!! I absolutely love them. In fact, even when I went off Atkins for a long time, I would still occasionally make them! What I do, is cut them in half and place the halves over the slots of my toaster (or you could put them in a toaster oven) just enough that it's kinda toasy and then I put butter, a slice of cheese and a slice of lunch meat on it and eat it like a sandwich. I know it sounds weird and gross, but PLEASE trust me...it tastes AWESOME!!! If you've never had them before, just humor me and go out and try them! You may just love them as much as I do!

This sounds so bizarre to me, and yet strangely compelling. I bet the banana nut will be too sweet for me, but I have got to try this. I just cannot believe that you "invented" it!
  #103   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 19:18
Goddess

Stats: 354/297/175 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:49%
Progress: 32%
Default Canadian Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjennx78
I wanted to let everyone know about the Advantage Shake Mix from Atkins, it's really good. I tried the Carb Options shakes and YUCK! The Advantage Kind is so much better, but be sure you mix it and leave it in the fridge overnight, tastes even better like that....just make sure it's cold

I quite agree that the Atkins shake mix is good! I find it a little thick the way they suggest so I just add more water and some cream for a creamy yet thin textured version. Tres delicieux!

I've just gone through this whole forum (or thread or whatever -- I can't keep it all straight!) and I'm disappointed because a lot of the 'good' products don't seem to be available in Canada. Any Canucks out there know what's good north of the border? Here's a summary of what I've found with LC products here:

Atkins Advantage Bars -- some are better than others; they're ok in a pinch
Atkins Endulge Bars -- the choco mint is to die for!!!! I'm afraid to check for the transfats and SAs though!
Atkins Prepared Shakes -- slightly slimy; again they're ok in a pinch
Atkins Shake Mix -- See above!
Atkins Morning start Bars -- pretty good! the transfat thing sucks though
Atkins Morning start cereal -- GAG!!!! Absolutely horrid!
Atkins Pancake/Waffle mix -- not bad but ditto on the Atkins syrup being maple flavoured water
Atkins Muffin mixes -- I find them quite tasty but a little rubbery
Atkins flavoured syrups -- not bad
Atkins bread -- slightly odd tasting
Atkins bagels -- the cinnamon raisin ones are quite good!
Odyssey Bars -- I don't know if it was the SAs or what but they gave me big time stomach cramps and intestinal difficulties if you get my meaning
SlimFast Carb Zone -- LOVE the commercials! Have only tried cookies n dreams but they're AWESOME! Didn't check for transfats or SAs -- probably loaded with them since they taste so great!
Carb Options PB -- Disgusting! Forget the transfat thing the taste itself is reason enough to avoid it!
Carb Options Salad Dressings -- tasteless -- you're just as good to buy Kraft and use a little less of it
Special K LC -- I don't really know since hubby finished the box before I could try any
Keto Muffin Mix -- extremely dry -- kind of like cardboard
Orowheat Tortillas -- Yummy! I also picked up a LC wrap at Costco which had only 5 net carbs and was also quite tasty though I can't remember the name of it.
LC Pitas -- tasty!; also purchased at Costco; also forgetting the name of it
Dempster's LC bread -- pretty good; made great stuffing at Thanksgiving

OK looking back on this list, I guess there are a lot of LC products available here -- and these are just the ones I've tried! Anyway, new regulations passed by our version of the FDA are making it taboo to put "Low Carb" "Net Carb" "Impact Carbs" or anything like that on food labels. They are also squashing brand names which refer to carbs (i.e. Carb Options) That should make LCing in Canada interesting when all the new regs come into effect. I guess I need to get really good at label reading before then eh?

Anyway, hope anyone who managed to wade their way through this found something useful!

Ta!
  #104   ^
Old Sat, Oct-30-04, 02:57

Plan: various
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

"Atkins Morning start Bars -- pretty good! the transfat thing sucks though"
These not do not have transfats. Hydrolyzed collagen is a protein, not a fat. None of the Atkins brand products I have seen have transfats, but I do not eat any of the currently available protein bars because in my opinion glycerine is a carb and protein bars always have a lot of it.
  #105   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-04, 09:49
Goddess

Stats: 354/297/175 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:49%
Progress: 32%
Default OOPS! and a quick question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist
"Atkins Morning start Bars -- pretty good! the transfat thing sucks though".These not do not have transfats. Hydrolyzed collagen is a protein, not a fat. None of the Atkins brand products I have seen have transfats, but I do not eat any of the currently available protein bars because in my opinion glycerine is a carb and protein bars always have a lot of it.

I stand corrected! I actually did go and check the atkins stuff I have here and none of it has transfats though the SA content can be quite high. The same goes for the Slim Fast bars. I saw on another post that the Atkins stuff had the transfat and hadn't checked for myself yet.

I have a question about SA's. I know of maltitol but not so much of the others. What are they? Is sucralose considered an SA? Are there any 'treats' out there that don't use SAs? Has anyone tried using Stevia? How does that compare?