Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 16:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 203/170/165 Male 72 Inches - Medium Frame
BF:
Progress: 87%
Angry Is Atkins killing me also?

Is Atkins killing me?

I received the results of my blood test in the mail today and it seems like bad news. My HDL at 4.2 indicates a major risk factor for heart disease. My LDL at 134 is borderline high. My VLDL is 74.8. The total cholesterol is 213 which places me in the borderline high category.

I’ve been on Atkins for seven months now and had my last blood work done about three years ago. I don’t know the exact numbers but was shown the report from the lab which listed everything as being in the normal range.

Being concerned I checked many sites such as the American Heart Association, WEB MD. They ALL say that a high fat diet high such as we practice here is the reason for bad cholesterol numbers. If Atkins has placed me at a major risk for heart disease then I’m really going to be pissed!!!

William
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 16:48

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

ever noticed it's always a "new member" who posts these sorts of things?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 16:53
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

sorry not meaning to be light if you're seriously worried but I notice your plan says Atkins and 3 ritz a day maybe its the ritz

If you're really worried, why not switch to a general LC plan that isn't dependant on a high fat intake to work. You can do LC very well without doing Atkins.

Click here to check out Ritz Free Plans

I thought this was the newbie question - don't WANT to be in war zone

Last edited by KoKo : Wed, Jul-28-04 at 16:56. Reason: added link
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 17:11

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

In all fairness, Willam, if you've been following Atkins it's certainly being followed quite loosely recently. Ritz crackers have transfats which are known to worsen cardiac profiles and "refeeds" where you pig out on high carb/high fat foods aren't part of the Atkins program, either.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...519&postcount=1
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...62&postcount=50

Given that those refeeds ocurred fairly recently, I don't think following Atkins is where to place the blame for your worsened cardiac profile, but there is a way that you can test it. Go back to a strict Atkins program until the next time you get your cardiac profile checked (6 months?). Cut out the transfats and the refeeds and stick to allowed foods only and see what the next test shows.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 18:11

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 162/153/145 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Willam - is you HDL "4.2" or "42"? just curious. I assume you mean mg/dL.

Have you read Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution, and ascertained that you are really doing Atkins the way he meant it to be done? I don't actually do Atkins (I do the Carb Addict Plan), but I still have Dr. Atkin's book on the shelf. It's an interesting read.

My personal numbers are quite favorable (my doc says I'm in the very low risk category). This is just me, it could be genetics. It could also be that I stay away from refined flour and sugars, stay away from trans-fats, and generally stay away from highly processed food. This leaves a lot of produce, chicken, fish, nuts, dairy foods, occasional beef, and produce produce, PRODUCE! And some whole grains. I exercise, too, probably not as much as I should, but I give it a shot every day, even if it's only a 20 minute walk.

And yes, you can do LC and low fat at the same time - better yet, looking at the quality of the carbs and the fats in your diet.

Exercise can be a factor in these numbers. So is individual variable response to any dietary scheme.

All in all, I'd discuss it with your doctor or nutritionist.

Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 19:30
Registered Member

BF:
Default Please delete this thread.

Dear Moderators,

I started a thread in the War Zone titled “Is Atkins Killing Me Also”. The problem now is that I called my Doctor and asked her about the results her office had sent me. She informed me that someone had made a mistake and my HDL number was 51 instead of the 4.2 they had told me. With an HDL at 4.2 I knew I must be dying.

Anyway, how do I delete my original post? If you can do it for me it would be appreciated.

William
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 19:34

Plan: Diabetic Low Carb
Stats: 165/153.5/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
I haven't been on the L-C diet very long, started the 18th of June. I feel better since Low Carbing, but I'm curious about some things. Just what are "Trans Fats"?????? I've been hearing about it, and reading about it, but no one has really explained it to me. I'm sure one of you guys know... please share with me. OK? Thanks.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 19:53

Plan: NHE/UD2/General LC
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 6'
BF:10/6/?
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willam
Dear Moderators,

I started a thread in the War Zone titled “Is Atkins Killing Me Also”. The problem now is that I called my Doctor and asked her about the results her office had sent me. She informed me that someone had made a mistake and my HDL number was 51 instead of the 4.2 they had told me. With an HDL at 4.2 I knew I must be dying.

Anyway, how do I delete my original post? If you can do it for me it would be appreciated.

William

Well that's great news! 4.2?? what a weird screw up. I wonder if that number had something to do with the ratio or something...? Anyway, glad to hear that you are healthy. Not to mention that there are a lot of people out there (myself included) who do regular refeeds.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 21:30
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtistheCat
I haven't been on the L-C diet very long, started the 18th of June. I feel better since Low Carbing, but I'm curious about some things. Just what are "Trans Fats"?????? I've been hearing about it, and reading about it, but no one has really explained it to me. I'm sure one of you guys know... please share with me. OK? Thanks.

This link will explain fats far better than I ever could. Hope it helps. This was one of the many sites I discovered attempting to discover the benefits of combining Atkins and Ritz.

William

http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/oiling.html

Last edited by Willam : Wed, Jul-28-04 at 21:59.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 06:39

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

4.2 could have been the 'ratio' or whatever it's called and that would be within the guidelines (should be below 5.1).

N.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 07:02

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 162/153/145 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

4.2 does look like the total to HDL ratio. It would be interesting to know what it was before Atkins. Mine was about 4 something BEFORE LC, now it's below 3 (the lower the better on this ratio, as I understand it).
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 10:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 139/129/115 Female 5'3"
BF:30/?/20
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Is Atkins killing me also?

I'm venturing to say no, Atkins is not killing you and that is because, according to some of your previous posts, you're not really doing Atkins. Don't blame the diet if you didn't do it by the book.

I'm saying this because someday someone will see your post and quote it elsewhere and so on... while we'll still be wondering why the general public and the media don't get it through their collective heads that Atkins is a good, healthy WOL.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 13:16
Registered Member

BF:
Angry I'm tired of being bashed!!!

I’m sorry but I have to defend my self here. I seem to be getting bashed for simply doing my so called “Refeeds” and having an occasional Ritz cracker. Are you all trying to tell me that having an occasional meal at a restaurant which only results in a broken stall and additional weight loss is a bad thing? Well DUH!! Look at my stats and then try and tell me this is a bad thing. And two DUH's to those trying to tell me that an occasional Ritz cracker which contains a microscopic amount of trans fats and calories will do me in.

Dr. Atkins never intended us to be a bunch of high stepping Atkins Nazis that are never allowed to deviate from almighty DANDR. I believe that he intended for his plan to be flexible and allow each of us to tailor a WOE that works for us. Look at my stats one more time and tell me again that I’m wrong!!

William

Last edited by Willam : Thu, Jul-29-04 at 13:38.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 13:40

Plan: LCarb
Stats: 200/173/124 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 36%

sorry william, I can see that it can feel abit harsh when people are boxing your ears! I'm sure its not personal. Its just like jumping in the lion's den and insulting the lions for eating meat! They are going to defend their territory! But otherwise I would say its sensible to question these things. Questioning what we do in life is so important to understand our behaviour, learn and move on. Recently there was some evidence in the british journal of medicine that stated giving up smoking at 40 yrs can half your risk for cancer. That's so amazing. That your body can regenerate itself so quickly at such a late stage. The way I see it, if your body can do that for "cancer sticks" then doing atkins (even if it was dangerous) can be rectified fairly quickly if you wanted to. Personally, Atkins has been great for me, and I think that everything you do carries a risk, from crossing the road to even a low fat diet (you can choke on a carrot do you know!)

So its best to weigh up the pros and cons and do whats best for you because its your conscience you have to live with!

Best,

Alena
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 14:33

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I seem to be getting bashed for simply doing my so called “Refeeds” and having an occasional Ritz cracker. Are you all trying to tell me that having an occasional meal at a restaurant which only results in a broken stall and additional weight loss is a bad thing?

Willam, you'll have to decide that for yourself. You started this thread wondering if "Atkins" was killing you too. When several pointed out to you that with including refeeds and eating products that contain transfats (something the plan states to avoid at all stages, not just when you feel like it or during induction), you weren't really doing Atkins, you get defensive. The book is very clear about what are and are not considered healthy fats and especially points out the dangers of transfats. If you choose to ignore that and eat what you please, then don't blame the plan. I eat out with my friends and family all the time without breaking my plan. There are plenty of healthy choices available at many restaurants today. If you choose to use eating out with your friends as an excuse to eat unhealthy things, that's your choice but again...it's not part of any low carb plan that I'm aware of. Even CAD which allows a reward meal speaks to making wise choices.
Perhaps it would have been better, since you aren't following the plan as written, to question whether or not your version of Atkins wasn't working out as you'd like instead of doing things that are not recommended and then blaming Atkins for any results you get that you don't happen to like.
If you're happy with your results, then by all means continue. If not, then rethink your version of Atkins and make some changes. Either way, it's not exactly fair to not follow a plan as written and then blame it when you don't like the results.