Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-01, 01:58

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 143/143/128
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default A bit of me... what i'm going thru...

I'd like to know if anyone is following The Schwarzbein Principle plan and how it worked for them. I'm currently watching my carbs as I definitely have an addiction. But, I have still not settled on one plan that I can live comfortably with. I found the Atkins plan too restrictive for my tastes. I was unable to stick to it for than a week. Neanderthin was extremely tough to even try! I tried the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet and I Sommersized (each for several weeks) and also did not lose more than 2 lbs! I was extremely disappointed and down for a while as I did give it my best and made such an effort. I was especially disappointed with Susan Sommer's plans because this was the one that I thought I'd be able to keep for life. I just placed an order for The Schwarzbein Principle book on Amazon. I know Dr. Schwarzbein had influenced Susan Sommer's diet plan. I'm waiting to receive it, try it, and see what happens. I know my weight problem is defenitely due to my carb intake as I rarely ate meat/chicken and could of lived on pasta, rice, bread, etc.... Everytime I'm exposed to them, I have to seriously talk myself out of it and sometimes it depresses me. Funny enough, I was a major smoker and I managed to kick the habit 6 months ago... With carbs, I'm finding it so darn hard and frustrating. I'm also concerned about keeping this WOE as my father was diabetic and passed away (in his 50's) from a stroke (which was not his first!). Last time I checked my sugar, the doctor warned me to change my eating habits before its too late as I'm a good candidate for adult onset diabetes. Many of my friends and family members give me a hard time about wanting to lose weight and all the time as physically I look fine and am quite active. Regardless, I don't feel healthy... I'm so happy I found this site and I hope to settle on a plan I'm comfortable with... and hopefully see some good results!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-01, 06:33

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hang in there, Boo. Choosing LC will help with the blood sugar problem. You'll also feel much better, once you choose and stick with a plan. And don't be too hard on yourself, you don't have that much to lose so it will take longer, but the benefits of feeling better will happen just as quickly for you as they would for anyone.

Cheers,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-01, 07:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Nat's right, Boo. You have very little weight to lose (I know, it probably seems like a lot to you, but it isn't!), and the less you need to lose, the longer it takes. So you will probably have to cultivate some patience.

I find I feel happier on this way of eating if I focus more on general health benefits and less on weight (I lose very slowly). You're absolutely right to seek out a plan that you can use over the long term; that's crucial.

Keep posting, let us know how you're doing!

Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 10:25

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default I know exactly what you mean

about friends and family telling you that you don't need to lose weight because you look fine.

What really got a fire lit under me back in February of this year was the same thing you describe--not feeling healthy.

I was terribly sluggish, always tired and foggy and I would wake up in the morning after an 8 hour sleep feeling as if I hadn't slept at all. I felt awful and even though I had been exercising for over a month, I wasn't feeling any better and I was even gaining weight despite eating less (due to the exercise curbing my appetite)!

I went to the doctor about the not feeling well but all tests came back fine so I had to take matters into my own hands. Once I realized that carbohydrates were affecting the way I felt on a daily basis and started experimenting with restricting them, I began to feel so much better. I feel like my old self again. It is wonderful to wake up feeling refreshed and full of energy to start the day. And I can think straight again .

So keep up the good work. You will find it make a difference for you. I promise.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 07:47
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 223/193/153
BF:
Progress: 43%

Boo, I am following the Schwarzbein program. I've lost 14 lbs. since August 6th. It's a much slower way of losing weight than Atkins but I agree, the Atkins seems too stringent for me. I've been reading Atkins and trying to go that direction, but its difficult. I'm going to continue on with Schwarzbein because it's become a WOL for me, and I couldn't even think of going back to the way I used to eat (high carb - low fat and low protein). What I need to do next is start exercising. I confess, I haven't done exercising in the past because I always felt tired and sluggish. Now I have much more energy. I just need to get going....
One, thing that helps is that my family is on the program too. There is no way they would be willing to do Atkins.

Good Luck. - Julie
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-01, 19:59
amieK

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi Boo! Hooray for you in quitting smoking! That is a big achievement! So don't you dare beat yourself up about your weight! You can get to your goal weight as well, just don't get discouraged. You just need to find a plan that fits for you and then stick with it and be patient. Finding a plan that works for you can be a challenge though. I've been through
Weight Watchers, Raw Food Veganism and a Food Combining plan similar to Sommersizing before I realized Low Carb is the way for me to go.

Like you I don't have a lot of weight to lose but I need to lose this extra 13 lbs to rid my waist of what Diane Schwarzbein refers to as an "insulin meter", more commonly known as pot belly, love handles or spare tire.

I've been following the Schwarzbein Principle for the last couple of weeks after starting with Carb Addict's at the end of July.

Schwarzbein seems to be a better fit for me for a number of reasons. After yo-yoing on and off CA, I'm finding it easier to stay faithful to the Schwarzbein Principle and feel really good. And I must be doing something right because I'm down 4.5 lbs from 2 weeks ago. Yay!

And Hi to you too Julie! It's nice to meet another Schwarzbeiner. I like that Schwarzbein is easy for me to do with the family too.

All the best,
amieK
143/139/126
LC since 07/29/01
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-01, 23:43

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 143/143/128
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Thanks for the support

Thank you all so much for your support!!! I was close to quitting today... I'm on day 15 now and my scale still plays with the 2-3 lb loss. I was so frustrated last night, I ended up eating watermelon and then I felt so guilty. Don't know how I was able to resist all the Oreos and icecream this weekend and was not able to resist this!!!! I miss my fruits a lot (have to admit) but talked myself into going back on track until I receive the Schwarbein book and see what she has to say... I have to admit that although I have not really lost any weight, I do feel alot better. That sluggish feeling is gone and I do not get sleepy in the afternoons. Actually I've been having a hard time falling asleep at night I do not think I lost in size either (I can tell from my fitted jeans, etc.) but that bloated feeling is gone and my stomache does not feel constantly "full" like before. The only problem I've been experiencing is my bowel movements... I've recently started taking high fibre pills and have added 2 Ryvita Hi Fibre slices for my breakfast. According to the label (if I understood it correctly), each slice should have around 7 gr. of carb. As I'm not following any specific plan, I think that's okay for now. For the past 2 weeks I have not had any - ZERO - rice, sugar, bread, pasta, or fruits. Can't believe I gave up the foods I loved the most! But I am having plenty of salad greens and veggies. Okay, think I should stop or I shall write forever...

Keep up the good work everyone I'm going for another LC week and then shall worry about my next move!

Boo
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 04:41

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hey there Boo!

I do think you'd be much happier about things if you followed a specific plan. I do Atkin's myself, but a lot of other people do the Schwarbein principle as you mentioned. It's a bit less restrictive in many ways than the Atkin's book, and a lot of people like it. I prefer Atkins because I like the more stringent viewpoint on carbs, but not every plan works or fits for everyone.

Even though your scale isn't moving much, I'm glad that you're feeling so good. That seems to be the major point for me. I just posted in my journal about my monthly weigh-in which was today. You'll see there that I haven't lost anything in the last 3 weeks, just 12 lbs during week one, but my jeans are getting looser and my muscles are visibly larger and more defined, thanks to my toning workouts. I guess the moral is, and something I"ve been advocating for a while, that you shouldn't pay too much attention to the scale. If you're one that gets upset when the scale doesn't move. (I see you are since you were moved to almost quit), then I suggest to weigh no more than once a month, and go by measurements and how clothes fit instead. For me, I didn't need the added stress of worrying about the scale every day, or every week for that matter. I'm instead focusing on how great i feel, how much energy I have, how I'm not hungry and without cravings, and how my muscles are looking.

So don't give up! Stick it out until you get your book, then follow that plan to the letter! You're feeling really good right now. Keep that in the center of your mind. You don't want to go back to carbs and feeling tired all the time with all that insulin wreaking havoc on your body. I know you can do it!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 07:06
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/193/150
BF:
Progress: 28%

Raven,

I went to fitday and did my diet analysis..had seen it on another post in here somewhere. I was shocked to see how much fat I am consuming...about 50% of my diet. So will work on adding more chicken and fish.

I am staying about the same the last two weeks....so maybe just need to get the fat content down. I am curious what other's percentage of fat in their total daily intake is.
What is yours?

The clothes are still fitting differently and people are noticing...so those are all positive feedbacks.

I think I need to take your advice about the scales. They are certainly my nemesis.

Keep up the good work...going to go dance and lift some weights.

HeartRock
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 09:38
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by heartrock7
I went to fitday and did my diet analysis..had seen it on another post in here somewhere. I was shocked to see how much fat I am consuming...about 50% of my diet. So will work on adding more chicken and fish .... so maybe just need to get the fat content down. I am curious what other's percentage of fat in their total daily intake is.
Most persons following a very low-carb diet, such as Atkins or Phase One of Protein Power .. will be consuming 50 to 60% or more of the day's total calories as FAT. And that's a GOOD thing. In fact, I've been able to break an 8 month long plateau by increasing my fat intake to 65 to 70%, using x-virgin olive oil, flax oil and seeds, butter, avocados, and mayonnaise.

Unless you have a sensitivity to arachidonic acid (a fatty acid found in red meats and egg yolks, which can cause problems for a few people ... read what Protein Power has to say about that here) .. there's no need for you to cut out eating those foods. Leave the skin on your chicken, sauté the steaks and chops in butter or olive oil. Dress cooked meats with oil, melted butter or mayonnaise, hollandaise sauces etc. Fats are essential for health, fats add to satiety and make foods taste good. Fats are important for keeping the bowel regular too ... along with fiber and lots of water.

Why not post your daily menus in your journal that you've started in the Bootcamp forum?? We can have a look and maybe offer some suggestions for you. Take a look at other peoples' journals too ... and see their menus and nutrient data ... you'll see that the fat intake is usually well above 50%.

Hope this is helpful,

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 10:01

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hi Boo!
If Schwarzbien doesn't seem like a fit for you, have you considered a CKD? This program allows for carb ups on the weekends but it also requires you to do a bit of exercise. Check out the list of low carb plans thread that we have here and decide on one. I definitely think a set plan brings discipline and structure to the way you are eating and is easier to follow.
Just my two cents.
Best of luck Boo!
Linda
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 10:02
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/193/150
BF:
Progress: 28%

Doreen..

I guess I just can't get out of the old mindset of low fat. When I saw my percentage of fat intake..I nearly croaked.

But I remain in ketosis and I am still losing. The clothes are starting to hang and people are making comments..so I KNOW it is working.

Eating high fat keeps me full, stops the cravings, and I just feel better.

I will post my menus and check the others...and I will keep eating the way I have been.

Thanks for the advice..

HeartRock
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 19:00

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

Yes, fat is definitely a GOOD thing.

Among the other reasons that were listed, keep in mind that fat is also HIGHLY ketogenic, much more so than protein. Fat is what your body is mainly burning for fuel. My fat percentages range from 50 to 70 percent, usually closer to 50.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 19:15

Plan: 6 week body makeover
Stats: 225/185/190 Male 5.8
BF:
Progress: 114%

Hi Boo!!

Stay away from the scales!!! They are evil!! When I started Atkins I felt horrible!! I was going out of my freakin mind by day 3, I was soooo hungry for carbs and thought I would nearly die until I saw I had already lost 3 pounds.. by the end of the week I had lost 10 pounds total. I had my morning talks with the scale for a week after that with no results.. I was getting discouraged.. so I put the scale away and continued on low carbing however not as strict as the induction.. and now finally I weighed in this morning and have lost an additional 5 pounds... I started this diet on August 1st technically... If you can stick to Atkins for just one week you will see results.. give it the week.. the first few days are terrible and I even had trouble sleeping as well... and then after the 1 week if you feel you cant go on, at least you have given yourself a head start and something to be proud of heading into a new way of eating more suitable for yourself.

I dont know if that makes sense... but it was very hard on me getting started but i thank my lucky stars I stuck to it...

If you look at my journal you will see how I complained and the problems i faced getting started.. its not easy.

All the best and good luck
Shannon
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-01, 04:24

Plan: Barry Groves - Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/173/142
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi Boo

You're not alone, I've been struggling too but I know I feel much healthier eating this way and I'm bound to make mistakes as it goes completely against what I have been eating for the last 20 years...I miss fruit too and have been wanting a glass of orange juice for the last 4 days.

Like you I thought Atkins was a bit too strict for me and was on Barry Groves -Eat Fat Get Thin for the last 4 weeks (60 carbs per day) and started it on holiday without the book, lost weight and though it was a doddle (on holiday, I ate 2 ice creams and a snickers and didn't measure the veg although I did stay away from fruit that week and I lost 6lbs in weight) so I know I've made mistakes. I started Induction for Atkins on Saturday and here I am on day 3 and I'm doing fine although I have Barry Groves to thank for getting me started on this way of eating in the first place and I know it was because of the mistakes I made. I also lent the book to my sister because she has a bigger weight problem and has thyroid problems so I though I'd be helping her at the same time. (She's lost 8 lbs so far and is going to look through this site today - Hello Helen if you've managed to get in!)

Abyway Boo, where there's a will, there's a way and I'm sure you'll find the balance you need. Stick with the site and look for that encouragement when you're feelinf down because it isn't far away.

Bez