Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 09:52

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

No cravings for me. This is only my second DOWN cycle, but I didn't experience any cravings or even any problems with eating less the first day. It was one of my original concerns, too.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 10:45
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 100%

I find that, if anything, cravings occur more often during carb up. Adding those additional carbs can set things off!

I don't have any problem switching back and forth, except that during carb down I sure do miss my fruit!
  #93   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 13:04

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 241/159/145 Female 66 inches
BF:?
Progress: 85%

I've found that cycling is actually killing my cravings. Sometimes I think I was getting cravings just because I would feel like I could never have any of that stuff again. Now, on my 'carb up' days, I guess I could if I want, but I haven't. The increased carbs are from more fruits and veggies. I think during the carb up phase I am eating fewer calories which might partially explain the weight loss, but I think my body would adjust to that quickly and the loss would stop unless I keep cycling. So, for me, the advantage to cycling seems to be that it's helping keep my metabolism up so I don't stall and it adds a lot of variety of foods. I'm on a carb up phase and the scale says I'v gained 2 pounds, but my clothes say differently. I'm sure it's all retained water and it will go the 2nd day into the carb down phase.
  #94   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 13:26
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Sounds like you're doing great Carmen51!

That's kind of how it works for me. Every time I go on Carb Down I know I only have to do it for a few days, then I get to go Up again and have some treats!

Yep, I think if you don't go crazy with the Carb Up and keep the carbs and the cals at about a maintenance level for your weight, all you'll gain is a couple of pounds of water, which SHOULD quickly go away the first day or two of carb down. As always though, YMMV!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Anita
  #95   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 06:44

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%
Default I'm joining today!

After several weeks of carb-up---which is really my lifestyle---I'm going to join y'all in carbing down this week. I hope to make it through friday on carb-down. I'm afraid I'll not be able to cut it---which is why I never lose any weight, except by accident. Wish me luck!
  #96   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 10:10
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Mama Sara - Welcome - I started Carb Down this morning. I'll be going at least through Thursday - we can do it together!
  #97   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 13:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/194/150 Female 70 inches
BF:?/34%/25%
Progress: 8%

WEll i ended my card down on saturday. i lost 3 pounds, And i know i lost some fat cause (TMI warning) I got my period 2 weeks early. this always happens when i lose a lot, 3 pounds in one week, of fat.
so i started my carb up last night with beans on my taco salad.
we will see how long i stay on this carb up. i will not allow more thena 2 pound gain.

so as of the fist carb down we have a 3 pounds lost
  #98   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 19:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

There is a plan my cousin went on, but I can not remmember the name anyhow it was based on the same premis, eat carbs for 3 days, low carb for 5 I think. she lost 47 pounds in 6 months. I had already lost all my weight, I wanted otherwise I surely would of considered that plan.

If anyone finds out the name of the program please post it in my journal

Cheers Kathy
  #99   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 21:23

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Well, today is the last day of my carb-up. I will be doing induction for a while. If this works for me, I will be reaching my goal soon.
  #100   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 21:38

Plan: carb/cal cycling
Stats: 176/136/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfb02001
To those of you who have tried carb cycling...

When you switch from carb up to carb down, do you find it hard to do the first day of carb down? (and vice versa?) I think I might give this a try in a week or two, but I'm interested in the cravings it can cause.

I've been doing a bit of carb up and down for a short time now. What I experienced is that maybe the 1st couple of carb ups there were some cravings, but I rode them out. What I am finding now is that I seem to be going between carb up and carb down more effortlessly & without cravings. If I did get cravings they would happen with carb up, not the carb down though.

Mind you I'm still rather new to this, but so far this is what I've noticed.
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 08:55

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 291.5/259/135 Female 66 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 21%

Ok, after my binge on lc foods....I woke up the next morning 2 pounds less. Then yesterday(next day), I woke up 2 pounds back. I stuck to low induction and woke up this morning back down to the first 2 pound loss. Geesh!!!!

jimsbride
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 23:05

Plan: Mod Carbs.1200-1600 cals
Stats: 148/185/120 Female 5"2 or 159cm
BF:
Progress: -132%

I looove this! Im now on my 3rd day of carb up: 1600-1900calories & 40-70 ECC...more that Iv planed. Today Ill eat 1400-1500calories 50 ECC. Before I was doing all kinds of fasts ndtrick that would work but then Id just feel like crap and to eventually just gain it all back... even when I was just eating 20 ECC. For some reason I havent gained a poud on carbup, my energy level is very high, my mood is great and Iv been much more active that before... like I used to before I started to count the cals n fat%...when LC was working for me. I think Iv acctually lost a pound on carb up and gained some in leanbody mass! Aint this funny!
Im going to do carb down tomorrow, but I dont know how low I should drop my calories...Ill give 1200-1300 a try. I sure hope carb down will work this time....wish me luuck!
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 05:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 187.8/164.5/125 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:too much
Progress: 37%
Wink

Ok, so here I go jumping on the bandawagon too!!! I have been losing the same 2 lbs for two weeks, down to 168 pounds up to 170, I figured I'd give it a go. What do I have to lose (hopefully 40 pounds!!!) I am starting today, although anxiously. Are you writing down everything you eat? Measuring? calculating? Unfortunately these things are the very things I hate about diets!!! I will give it my best attempt however.
But I also must ask, what about activity? do you exercise? have you changed anything else that may have increased your weight loss? do you limit fat or calories in any way on carb down ,or do you only count carbs? Thanks for the help and inspiration.
Bernadette
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 06:12

Plan: Mod Carbs.1200-1600 cals
Stats: 148/185/120 Female 5"2 or 159cm
BF:
Progress: -132%

My guess:

Carb Upp: You eat like you would when maintaining.
thats 1600-2000 calories. I avoid anything that would trigger cravings or leave me unsattisfied, grains, potato, sugar (dhu!), bread, to much fruite, sugar alcohols (I'll have just a little) and snacks with to much salt.
I take one mutlivitamin&mineral, 1-3 calcium (for bones and a clear mind) depending on if its a schoolday and how my calcuim intake is that day,a Omega-3 to every big meal (3/day), .... lots of water!
I also exercise more than I usually do (carb down),take alot of walks, strech, yoga n lift weights. . Fat 60%, 50-70 ECC rest protein.
I try to do as much as I can when I'm on carb up b/c thats when I feel the best and my energy is the highest.
Lasts for 3-7 days. I do 3 days or whatever fits me the best.

Carb Down: You eat like you would on Induction or OWL on 20-25 ECC. I take all the same supplements plus a extra stong (lasts all day long) vitamin C.
For me thats 1200-1400 calories, Fat 70-75%, 20ECC and rest protein. As for exersice I'll continue to do my walks and as much weight lifting as I can manage... I think I'll cool it a little.
This I do until I have stalled for 3 days... then carb up foor 3 more days and so on and so on....

Good Luck!
Im new to this so more advise from yall wise ones would be great

~Priscilla Da Rosa
  #105   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 07:31
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Hi mrsqrn! And welcome to carb cycling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsqrn
Are you writing down everything you eat? Measuring? calculating? what about activity? do you exercise? have you changed anything else that may have increased your weight loss? do you limit fat or calories in any way on carb down ,or do you only count carbs?
Bernadette

OK, here goes:

I record my menus most days in my journal. I am learning to be much more careful on carb down especially with this, because I think that may have been my reason for only losing 1 pound net on cycle 5. I think I got a little careless with calories. We will see here in a day or two with this cycle, as I am being MUCH more careful. So far for this cycle I've had days of 10 net carbs/1148 cals and 9 net carbs/1099 cals. I've lost two of the pounds I gained on carb up and hope to get into virgin territory tomorrow. Today is day 3 on Carb Down for me.

Yes, I measure on carb down, but not on carb up. On carb up I try to eat the way I think I will one day on maintenance. For me that still excludes grains, virtually all sugars, and starchy vegetables. This is all about health, so on carb up don't make it an excuse to eat carbage! Still continue eating protein and fat, lots of vegetables, and add in fruits and nuts. Some lcers may also be OK with adding small amounts of grains, but I would proceed here VERY cautiously!! Don't think carb up is a license to eat foolishly, or in the manner that got you into the problem in the first place.

I calculate only on carb down, posting to fitday. To get the most bang for my buck, so to speak, I want to make sure I keep my carb down to Induction rules, and as close to 1200 calories as possible. Basically I eat meat, eggs, a small amount of cheese, a protein shake, and a salad for dinner.

I exercise at Curves 3x a week faithfully. But, that's all. I started at Curves about one month before I started carb/cal cycling. The speed of my weight loss did not increase until I started the cycling.

I do not pay attention to fat at all, on either carb up or down. But, the last two days of carb down for me have been at about 65% fat, so I'm getting plenty. I DO try to push protein. I am sure to have protein at every snack/meal whether on carb up or carb down. This helps to keep blood sugar levels stable.

I count both carbs and calories on carb down, limiting to under 20/under 1200. On carb up I only count carbs, trying to stay somewhere around 60 or so, but I'm a little more flexible with that. Remember, if you are heavier you will need more calories, even on carb down.

The basic rules are: Stay on carb down until you stop losing weight, for me I use 3 mornings at the same weight. So, it usually lasts about 5-7 days. Stay on carb up for as long as you care to, OR until you've gained 2-3 pounds. My length of time on carb up has varied widely. DO NOT let yourself gain more than that! Those gained pounds should just be some retained water if you haven't gone nuts during the carb up, and should come off quickly when you return to Induction levels.

I take a high-potency women's multi-vitamin and a few other supplements, but all of those have to do with controlling my blood pressure, not with weight loss. I also take one tablespoonful a day of a flax oil blend. I've been doing all of those things for quite some time, I did not see the good weight loss until I started cycling.

Also - remember that there are lots of different ways to carb cycle. This is just the plan that I put together FOR ME and it is working FOR ME! YMMV. I sure hope others can use this to formulate a plan that will work FOR THEM!!!

I hope all this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Good Luck!

Anita