Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 12:08
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 100%

Welcome to cycling! As soon as you have some positive results, post them here. There are a lot of people following this thread who, I'm sure, would like to see if this will work for someone other than me!!

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 13:10
Grrrrrrowwwwwwwl

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/145.2/135 Female 64 inches
BF:34/29/20
Progress: 64%
Thumbs up Cycling Week One

everyone!!!

I, too, just started cycling this week. I had a high-carb weekend , then got back ON the wagon and (somehow) have broken the 147-wall. I think this WILL work for me. My only real problem is the lack of appetite I seem to have on carb-down. I'm hoping that will change (but not too much) on carb-up. Thanks LCanita sooooooo much for your informative post(s)!!!!
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 14:12
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Welcome James Blond!

Yes, Carb Down does kill your appetite, sometimes Carb Up can actually be harder because of cravings! So, beware!!

Please post your results here so we can all benefit.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 23:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/194/150 Female 70 inches
BF:?/34%/25%
Progress: 8%

Well i am on day 4 of a carb down week.i have been keeping it at about 20 carbs a day and i am down 1.5 pounds so far. we will see how this goes. I have been craving cookies though. really really bad. i hope i dont break down and gorge my self next week.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 05:26
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Petcrazed: Good luck!

Yep, stay in control during carb up. For me it's grains that trigger the cravings. If I can stay away from the grains I do OK. Figure out your trigger food and then stay away from it!

Let us know how it goes!
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 08:59
Grrrrrrowwwwwwwl

Stats: 163/145.2/135 Female 64 inches
BF:34/29/20
Progress: 64%
Talking Cookies!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petcrazed
I have been craving cookies though. really really bad.
Holy cow! Talk about cookie cravings...I DREAMT about cookies the night before last. I ate like 4 in my dream. LOL. I was gald to wake up and know that I hadn't really done it! Good luck with yours!
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 09:01

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am going to try this. I went on vacation for 2 weeks and had higher than normal amount of carbs. Upon return I began TOM so I avoided the scale. In the mean time I returned to my regular low carb woe. When TOM was over my weight was down 2 lbs. Hmmmm.
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 09:17
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Good luck Black57!

Let us know how it goes. Post here with comments/questions, etc.!

#69   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 11:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I had sort of permanently being doing a carb-up, about 40-60g daily. I have been fairly stalled for a month or more even keeping my calories pretty low.

I'm sort of waiting to finish eating my apple crop, I have about 1 every day, then I figured I'd give this a shot. But in the meantime, I've given up the lowcarb cereal for breakfast and eat half of a 3 egg omelet almost every morning and have been eating meat+veggies at lunch, instead of huge salad and the weight is budging down a bit.

I'll try to get those apples disposed of and then do something more formal in the next week.
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 12:49
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Nancy LC: Nice to have you join the group. Post your results here when you can.

Good luck!
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 12:51

BF:

LCanita, I noticed that you said that when your weight stalls after lcing you up the carbs. In turn do you lower the carbs, after your weight goes up or does that matter. I had some grits today for breakfast. They were soooo good. No cravings have been triggered. If I do have any cravings I know what to do.
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 13:43
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Black 57: Hi!

You can see on my sig line how many days I stay at each level. I stay on the carb up cycle until my vacation is over, or I feel I'm recharged, or it's convenient to go to carb down. I stay on the carb down cycle until I stop losing weight, or three mornings at the same weight.

The most I've gained on any carb up is 2 pounds. However, if I gained more than that I would immediately stop the carb up and go back to carb down and lose the weight. You do not want the carb up to get out of control.

Recently (cycle 4 and 5) I've tried to shorten the carb up in order to speed things up. It worked fine on cycle 4, but on cycle 5 I only lost 1 net pound. So, do I need longer carb ups, or was this just a fluke? Or, is my body simply slowing down because I'm closer to goal? I don't know.

This carb up is going to be 7 days, I think, through Sunday. Then I'll do carb down next week. We'll see what happens. If I have a good carb down then I'll probably try a shorter carb up again the week after. I'll keep you posted. My results will be in my sig line until I run out of room!

The whole thing is very flexible. Make it fit your work/vacation schedule. This needs to be livable!

Does that help?
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 14:01

BF:

Yes, very much thanks.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 21:34

BF:

Okay, I have another question. Should I up the carbs for a predetermined length of time or just long enough to put on 2 lbs?
I raised my carbs today with nearly all legal foods. I did have some grits today, however, I used the carb-up as an excuse and they were so good!!!
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 00:02
Registered Member

Stats: 187/177/154 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi B,
You should be fairly safe if you avoid rice, rotis, nan, bread, noodles, pasta and any dishes containing peas, carrots, beetroot and potatoes.
Palak paneer (spinach with cottage cheese), mushroom curry, salads, any kind of mutton or chicken curry, prawns, tandoori chicken, fish fry etc should be ok.
I notice from your stats that your weight is pretty decent. Since India has some absolutely fab cuisine not to mention the great mithai, why dont you take the opportunity to sample the fare and get back seriously to LCing when you return? It would be a great pity if you were to go back and miss all this great food!! Besides, just keeping off the rice, chappatis and other cereals should do the trick for you.
But you are the best judge, dont let me throw you off course.
All the best
Anu