Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 10:00

Plan: carb/cal cycling
Stats: 176/136/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 78%

hi wanda, i'm trying this after a ten week stall. though i've stayed the same weight, i measured today and have lost about 3 inches! so i guess i'm not technically in a stall like i thought i'd been.

As far as seeing results i'm only on day 3 though, so it's too soon to see results. i have a good feeling about seeing some results with this. time will tell.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 10:02
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I don't know that overall I have a slow metabolism. I just think that after being on induction levels for about a week my metabolism slows down.

I've read some books that mention that the thyroid slows down on severe carb restriction (these weren't from the Low Fat camp). Obviously it doesn't happen for everyone, but I often wonder if it happens to some people due to complex hormonal reasons that we can't even begin to understand. LOL, the more I read, the less I know, it seems.

I'm beginning to like this idea. The "Mad Scientist" in me is excited, actually.

Wanda
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 10:10
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Hi Nepeta:

Quote:
hi wanda, i'm trying this after a ten week stall. though i've stayed the same weight, i measured today and have lost about 3 inches! so i guess i'm not technically in a stall like i thought i'd been.

As far as seeing results i'm only on day 3 though, so it's too soon to see results. i have a good feeling about seeing some results with this. time will tell.
Good work! Nice to know you haven't been stalled! I'd love to see some body comp changes about now, although I think I've lost 1" in my waist, but nowhere else. I've been working out pretty hard so we'll see what happens when I take my rest week next week.

This is intriguing b/c it doesn't cycle high carb/low carb, but moderate carb/low carb. So it's a less extreme form of carb cycling which could work for people who've tried traditional carb cycling without success.

Good luck!

Wanda
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 12:27
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes

That's what I really like about it. I don't want to eat carbage!! With this I just add fruit, nuts, higher carb dairy, and some higher carb salad dressings when carbing up. (Occasionally I throw in a low carb treat, but only on carb up; Carb Smart vanilla ice cream over fresh sliced peaches is sooo good )

Most of the other cycling I've seen involves either junk carbs or high amounts of "good" carbs (whole grains, yams, etc.) Grains and starchy veggies are what got me into this mess. I don't want to go there! AND, I'm convince we don't need them to thrive!

There are LOTS of different ways to carb cycle. This is just what I've come up with that works for me. YMMV! I wanted to share and see if anyone else could benefit from my experimenting.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 18:10

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCanita
Most of the other cycling I've seen involves either junk carbs or high amounts of "good" carbs (whole grains, yams, etc.) Grains and starchy veggies are what got me into this mess.

You said it! A couple years ago when I was at 152 for the "first" time, I did a 12-week Body for LIfe Challenge. Everyone on the forum kept telling me I had to start eating grains and oatmeal and such. It was the beginning of the end. I steadily started gaining.

I guess I can eat higher-carb veggeis and fruits, but having grains on a regular basis is the kiss of death for me.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 18:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 129/125/105 Female 5'2"
BF:33%
Progress: 17%

I agree. I feel like I have a choice. Either I can eat potatoes and bread for the rest of my life, but thats it...or I can low carb it and cut these out forever.

I have only been LC for 3.5 weeks, and only lost 3 lbs on induction...but I have gone from 33% to 30% body fat and lost an inch and a half in my abdomen. I was hoping for more...hearing about induction successes everywhere made me excited, so I was disappointed when I lost a measly 3 lbs. BUT...I am starting at a aomewhat low weight anyway, and I'm simoky trying to lose the 15 lbs I gained after having kids...

I have heard of this carb cycling, and I have a friend at work doing this, but what she does is called a "Sunday Treat Day". On Sunday she eats whatever she wants...(although she does keep her carbs below 60 or so)...so essentially she does a ONE DAY UP, then a 6 DAY DOWN. Doesn't sound as fun as a 10 day up...but she is losing a lot and not gaining much at all (/c its just the one day).

Now that I have read this thread through, I'm going to check out that journal too...and I think I might try this too. My only concern is this:
The low fat diet doesn't work for me anymore because I have gone "on and off" it hundreds of times. My body has figured it out and is dead set against me losing those precious pounds that will keep me warm and soft. Isn't this carb cycling simply a moderate way of "going on and off"? Do you think your body will figure it out and then stop LC from working at all?

Geez, what would I do if LC AND low fat didn't work for me. --Guess I'd just be warm and soft whether I liked it or not.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 19:35

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 291.5/259/135 Female 66 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 21%
Default Total Shock!

Geesh! I though I had an original idea here and come to find out, you guys are already way into this thing. I just posted a thread about 3 days up and 3 days down. Then someone posted about this thread. Good for yous!!!

I had this idea because I was on The Rotation Diet many years ago and lost an average of 1 pound a day a month. I couldn't believe it. So, after seeing and hearing of different stalls, I wondered about a Rotation Carb System which, I now find out by reading this thread is referred to as "cycling". lol

Anyhow, I am interested in trying it 3 days up and 3 days down. Up days, 40-50 carbs....days down, 20-25. Calories, I am not sure about and have not read much in here about them. With my high weight, I prefer to stay away from the 10x weight rule in cals. I can not complain about my weight loss, I had a short stall...just a couple weeks, then dropped 6.5 pounds in three days. I have not weighed myself since....3 days ago. I am interested in this because I am having a harder time going up in carbs then I am at keeping them low. I enjoy induction but don't want my body to get use to it. So, I have had to force myself to eat more than I normally would.

Any suggestions? I am open.

thank you,
jimsbride
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 22:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/194/150 Female 70 inches
BF:?/34%/25%
Progress: 8%

HUMMMM very interseting.....

I think i might have to give this a go.
I cant seem to stay at induction for to long right now cause of my hectic life but i can keep at it for a week. so a week up and a week down would be do-able.
My sats are wrong right now i am at 182 so we will see where this takes me i am also adding in yoga so hope that will help.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 04:57
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes

JimsBride: Interesting that you were already thinking of the same thing!

I definitely think that you do not want to go as low on calories as I am. I can see how the 10x rule is a little scary for you, that does sound like a lot of food, but the whole point of this is to keep your metabolism charged. If you lower the cals too much everything slows down.

I'm thinking also, though, that the lower calories/carbs is most important during carb down. There seems to be more flexibility in the carb up cycle. I'm basically eating during carb up the way I plan to eat at maintenance. Sometimes I'm sure I go to around 2,000 cals during carb up, but I try not to go over about 1700.

Perhaps something more along the lines of 2200/60 carbs and 1700/under 20 carbs would be doable for you?

Petcrazed: Yeah, I know what you mean. I can stay on Induction levels for about 5 days, no problem, but longer than that and I get really tired of it. So, this gives me a nice break before I go back to the Carb Down. Also, for me, it works BETTER than staying at Induction levels all the time.

Also - I am considering the 3 days up/3 days down idea. Or maybe, just so I can fit it into a week schedule, 3 days up (Fri-Sun) and 4 days down. I haven't tried that yet.

Cycle number 5 is finished for me. I only netted one pound on this one, but still it was so much more fun and easier than what I was doing before! I don't know if this was just a fluke, or if my weight loss is slowing down because I have less weight to lose, or if I need longer carb ups like I was doing at the beginning. I'm going to have to play with this some more.

Everyone who is trying this please post your results here so we can learn from each other!
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 09:01

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 291.5/259/135 Female 66 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 21%

Well, I am going to try this...Today will be my 3rd day of 30-35 carbs and then I am going to drop into induction again. I am kind of weary about the metabolism factor...if it starts jumping around. I can say that at 30-35 carbs....I am beginning to experience cravings. Not happy about that. So, one more day then back to "safe land" I go.Will keep you posted.

I did gain one pound since last weigh in 3 days ago. But can tell that fluid retention is going on here.

Thanks,
jimsbride
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 10:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins restart
Stats: 165/159.9/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:Not sure
Progress: 20%
Default Anu from India

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu
HI Anita,
I read with great interest your concept of carb cycling. I've been on Atkins since July 5th. I lost about 5 kilos (11 pounds) upto the middle of the third week and none thereafter. I HAd heard about the concept before, but I thought one could up the carbs for a day max. I see from your signature line that you are upping and downing for 6-8 days at a strech. Maybe I'll try that and see if I can give myself a boost. Wish me luck!!
All the best to you too.
Anu (India)

Hi anu,
i know this is a off track post, but couldn't help writing to you. I am an indian too who lives in US. I am going to india for 2 months and really freaking out about what to eat. I mean since we are huge carb eaters, I am worried about how to eat and what to eat. Also i know the nutritional info ( carb content, fat content etc) are not always available..
Since you are doing this low-carb dieting, if you can give me some pointers about your diet,I would be really greatful.

Thanks,
B
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 22:33

Plan: Atkins/Curves
Stats: 250/229/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I'm pretty new to low carb, and I'm doing atkins induction, it's worked pretty well so far, but if I need help, I know who to call, sounds like this new plan is working really good for you, keep up the good work.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 03:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/177/154 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi B,
Welcome to LCing. And no, this is certainly not an off-beat post, because I KNOW how much I searched the net to find an Indian version of Atkins with no success. So if I can help, GREAT!!
The diet scene in India is totally tilted in favour of low fat-high carb...people recoil in horror when I tell them I'm eating cheese and butter and all the rest of it. So I decided to do my own Indian version and see if I made any headway. I'm happy to say I did (only some so far though!), and I'm happy to share it with you (and anyone else who may be interested).
Since nutritional values are not listed on the packets, I suggest you visit some sites which list the nutritional values of different foods (google uncle should help!) and familiarise yourself with the carb values. Besides this, my pointers are:
1. Decaf coffee IS NOT available here, so if you are a coffee addict I suggest you get your supplies along.
2. Breakfast: eggs, cheese, capsicum, sausages and all the rest of the breakfast things you can get here. But the frozen sausages available in the super markets all have phosphates, so you might like to thing twice before buying.Artificial sweeteners are also freely available at chemists(Equal, sweet n' low --no splenda)
3.Tandoori chicken/fish/mutton available freely.
4. I suggest you bring the soup cubes with you---not available here.
5. Normal veggies-no problem...cauliflower, Okra, onions, tomatoes, spinach, cucumber, beans, mushrooms,.....
Thre may be regional differences depending on where in India you're going to be, but by and large the above stuff should be available anywhere.
Have a great trip and do let me know how you got on once you get back.
Bye, Anu

Last edited by anu : Tue, Aug-17-04 at 04:14. Reason: I was supposed to reply to a message from bee_g but addressed it to Anita instead
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 08:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins restart
Stats: 165/159.9/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:Not sure
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu
Hi B,
Welcome to LCing. And no, this is certainly not an off-beat post, because I KNOW how much I searched the net to find an Indian version of Atkins with no success. So if I can help, GREAT!!
The diet scene in India is totally tilted in favour of low fat-high carb...people recoil in horror when I tell them I'm eating cheese and butter and all the rest of it. So I decided to do my own Indian version and see if I made any headway. I'm happy to say I did (only some so far though!), and I'm happy to share it with you (and anyone else who may be interested).
Since nutritional values are not listed on the packets, I suggest you visit some sites which list the nutritional values of different foods (google uncle should help!) and familiarise yourself with the carb values. Besides this, my pointers are:
1. Decaf coffee IS NOT available here, so if you are a coffee addict I suggest you get your supplies along.
2. Breakfast: eggs, cheese, capsicum, sausages and all the rest of the breakfast things you can get here. But the frozen sausages available in the super markets all have phosphates, so you might like to thing twice before buying.Artificial sweeteners are also freely available at chemists(Equal, sweet n' low --no splenda)
3.Tandoori chicken/fish/mutton available freely.
4. I suggest you bring the soup cubes with you---not available here.
5. Normal veggies-no problem...cauliflower, Okra, onions, tomatoes, spinach, cucumber, beans, mushrooms,.....
Thre may be regional differences depending on where in India you're going to be, but by and large the above stuff should be available anywhere.
Have a great trip and do let me know how you got on once you get back.
Bye, Anu

Thanks for the great help anu...This will really help..
One more question..when you eat out, what kinda food do you order? I doubt indian restaurants provides nutritional info, but are there any LC dishes which you can order without hesitation?

Thanks again..
B
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 11:30

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 241/159/145 Female 66 inches
BF:?
Progress: 85%

LCanita,

I just read this post a few days ago and decided to give it a try. It's only been a few days, but I think it's working for me also! Thanks so much for this post - I think it's just the type of suggestion I needed.