Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 08:39
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Thanks for replying, Anita! I might as well try it, since nothing else seems to work.
BTW, what does kefir taste like? I've been afraid to try it.

Last edited by Quinadal : Tue, Jul-27-04 at 08:47.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 08:55
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 100%

Kefir tastes similar to yogurt. You can get it sweetened and flavored, just like yogurt, but don't do that. Get the unsweetened kind, add fruit and whatever low carb sweetener you choose (I use Stevia). I really enjoy it, it's quite a treat.

Good luck on your Carb Cycling venture. Feel free to post to my journal, there are several of us trying this now, each one doing it a little different. You have to make it work for you. Be sure and don't go nuts on the Carb up. That's VERY important, or you'll gain a lot of weight. This is just about eating enough to recharge your metabolism, then hit the lower carb again for the weight loss. I changed my sig line to more accurately reflect what I've been doing. As of today, I'm averaging 1.5 pounds a week, and it's FUN!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 06:37

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 225/214/180 Male 69 inches
BF:37%
Progress: 24%

Wow, thanks, I sure will give it a try.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 11:47
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Interesting! Thanks Bawdywench for letting me know of this thread..and thank YOU LCanita for sharing whats been working for you. When Bawdy mentioned this to me on a different thread this morning, I thought..this sounds like something that may be what I need to do, as I have been sort of 'dabbling' with it, but not really giving it the time you did.

Also, at curves for women, several of the girls that have taken their weight loss program, they mentioned to me that they have a metabolism booster type diet where you actually go up in calories, etc.. similar to what you did.

And good point Bawdy about making it a little bit more of a jump on those carb up times.. than just 200 cals.. I think it does have to be a number that makes a difference... for me.. I could stick to the 1200/1700 plan and it would work, I may even try to do 1200/2000 just because I actually fluctuate between 1200-1700 cals and 15-40 cals, depending..occasional up day... . So I would need to learn to be a little more consistant.

Love and Laughter,
Dawn
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 14:28
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Simply Dawn: Sure hope this is what you are looking for.

Note though that the calorie levels I gave are for me at my current weight, you might want to add some for you, perhaps on both ends, but especially during the carb/cal up, like you were saying, something more in the 2000 cal range on carbup sounds about right for you, I agree.

Feel free to post questions/results in my journal. However, I'm still experimenting with this too, so someone else may come up with a better regime. Right now I'm experimenting with shorter carb ups.

I do know that what I have been doing for the last 7+ weeks is REALLY working. In fact, I recently realized that I've spent more days on Carb UP over the last seven weeks than I have on Carb DOWN! And still had good results.

Best of luck to you.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 23:37

Plan: PP
Stats: 149.5/140.5/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 37%

I'm curious - would this work by the same principle if you did the "carb up" for a day or two instead of a week? Or is there something about staying at the higher levels that makes the difference?
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 05:02
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Yeah, bodybuilders only go up for one to three days then back down. I've been doing it for a week or so at a time by accident more than anything else. This cycle I am trying a four day "UP". Today is day three. I would have stopped at three, but I have an all day BD party to go to tomorrow, and wanted to be UP for that.

I think the principle may work just fine with less days "UP". As you probably saw in my last post, I've been "UP" more days than "DOWN" and still losing at an average of about 1.5 pounds a week. More than 2 pounds a week at my weight (and yours for that matter) is counterproductive, because we'll be burning muscle. You do not want to do that. So, I can't tweak too much or I'm afraid I'll lose too fast. What a wonderful problem to have!!

Feel free to post to my journal -- read through the last several pages and you'll find all sorts of stuff about carb cycling.

Best of luck to you in whatever you try!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 09:51

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 164/119/120 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 102%
Post About Carb Cycling

I've found an article about carb cycling, maybe some of you guys haven't read it yet.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par30.htm

Funny & weird because it is a bodybuilder's page but interesting to read.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 10:06
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Yeah, I've seen the site/article. It's interesting. His plan is a LOT more complicated than mine, AND on his low carb day he's having as many carbs as I have on my high carb day. I didn't think his plan would work for me, since I know that I am Insulin Resistant (as is just about everyone on this site) but I liked the basic concept.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 20:54

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292/250/199 Female 5'2"
BF:50%/46.5%/23%
Progress: 45%

Very interesting. Good luck.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 08:58

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 232/204/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all, first post other than introduction. I follow my own plan after four attempts at Atkins, and I really don't have a set menu, I don't count calories, and I try to keep carbs under 30. Anyhow, I read in one of the magazines that you get at the checkout counter that if you eat about an ounce of peanuts a day, it speeds up your weight loss, so I have tried it, and it seems to work. The weeks I have run out of peanuts, I have had little to no loss; weeks I have eaten peanuts, I have lost 4-6 lb. Has anyone else tried this?
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 08:24
Flutterby

BF:
Default beginning...

Ok now..just wanted to share that I began cycling.. .and not the bike or pms!

I am on my 3rd day of carb/calorie cycling..and on the UP side.. this upping calories and carbs is not as easy as it would seem. First of all, I am eating too much I feel, and staying full for so long, that I dont want to eat the next meal, which then put me in a bind, to eat a bigger meal at dinner. Both days.. but..will stick w/ it, and see if I can make this work..

My goal: I am going to try this for 4 days UP, 4 days DOWN. I am going to try this for a total of 4 cycles and see how it does for me.

Aug 2, 3, 4, 5 = Up
Aug 6, 7, 8, 9 = Down
Aug 10, 11, 12, 13 =UP
Aug 14, 15, 16, 17 =Down

Up Days:
1800 - 2000 Calories
40 - 80 net carbs

Down Days:
1200 Calories
Under 20 net carbs

Day 1 Weight: 203, Day 2: 206, Day 3: 203

Note: I have read that about nuts.. forgot, I can add those in during my up days.. Have read that macadamia nut oil is GREAT for upping metabolism as well.. etc...
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 08:28
Flutterby

BF:
Default ps.. my 2 days of menus

Dont yell at me about the sugar alcohols in the hershey bar.. that is my downfall as of lately.. only one more bar and they are all gone.. I wont buy any more while doing this.. ( crossing fingers and toes!)

Day 1 Carb/Calorie UP day:

B: Egg/ground chicken/green onion in a Lc Pita, coffee
D: Buffalo chicken salad with ranch dressing, lettuce, grape tomatoes, cucumber, shredded cheese, 2 buffalo chicken strips.
S: tea, lc choc bar, 2 tbs pb.

Net Carbs: 46
Total Cals: 2006

Day 2/Up Cycle
B: Jicama fries with catsup, egg omlette - cheese/mushroom/green onion/cherry tomato diced/bacon diced and served w/sour cream, 2 pcs lc wheat toast sprinkled w/cinnamon. Coffee.
L: lc yogurt
D: 4 hotdogs, 1 lc pita, 2 oz cheddar cheese, Slaw: 1/2 c. red cabbage,, 1/2 c. green cabbage shredded, 2 oz jicama chopped, 1 tbsp mayo.

S: 10 strawberries, lc hershey bar.

Net Carbs: 47
Total Calories: 1957

Day 3 so far:

B: tuna/turkey bacon/cheese stuffed lc pita, coffee w/cinnamon.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 08:46

Plan: carb/cal cycling
Stats: 176/136/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 78%

i'm glad this is working for some people. i too had heard of carb cycling at curves. who knows if i get stalled when i'm closer to my goal weight i may try this.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 09:37
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Dawn: Welcome to the group.

Sure hopes this works as well for you as it has for me (results in my sig line.)

Keep us informed of your progress!