Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 01:38

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 164/119/120 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default Gwyneth vs. Atkins

Gwyneth slams the Atkins diet

Gwyneth Paltrow has become the latest celebrity to claim that the low-carb Atkins diet is bad for you.

Interviewed about her regime in Time Out magazine this week, the yoga-loving, health-conscious actress says: 'Atkins? It's not healthy at all.'

Claiming instead to be a fan of the Blood Type diet, Gwyneth explains: 'If you've got Type A blood - so you're the type who can't break down animal protein but stores it as toxin which clogs your liver and causes you to gain weight - it's just not going to work for you. My old assistant went on Atkins and gained a stone because she was Type A.'

'In any case,' she adds, 'I don't see how a bacon cheeseburger without the bun can be good for you. But that's just me.'

Gwynnie admits in the interview that she's something of a health nerd. 'I'm very into food science,' she says. 'I was seriously macro for a while... I just think the more you can do to maximise your health while you're alive the better.

'And you can tell so easily what's bad for you. When you detox for a few days and then have sugar, you feel so terrible, the effect it's having on your system.'

SOURCE: Time Out
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 01:41
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

OH PLEASE!!!! Her *assistant* went an atkins and gained a stone????? Yeah right - she wasn't doing it properly GWYNETH.
Jeeze that's all ATKINS needs is a celebrity scathing it! Why can't these people just accept some people wanna do the atkins diet!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 04:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/205/160 Female 171cm
BF:42%/37%/??
Progress: 29%

I would not take her seriously - I mean come on people - the woman let Brad Pitt go - she must be out of her mind lol
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 05:32
Registered Member

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 124/122/120 Female 65inches
BF:25/19/15
Progress: 50%

Who cares what the hell Gwyneth Paltrow thinks- why is that anyone famous automatically becomes an 'expert' on every subject under the sun?

Anyway, the last I saw of her she had great big marks on her back from 'cupping'- that's a money spinning junket if ever I saw one.

As for that blood type diet- it contradicts itself all over the place. Load of rubbish.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 07:35

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

"Gwynnie admits in the interview that she's something of a health nerd. 'I'm very into food science,' she says. 'I was seriously macro for a while... I just think the more you can do to maximise your health while you're alive the better"

Really, she is into food science??? Then it seems to me she should have read about all the reasearch studies that have been done that say Atkins works and is safe. But no, all she can say is "I don't see how a bacon heeseburger without the bun can be good for you." Just read the research and you'll see how. LOL
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 10:50
Registered Member

Stats: 160/155/140 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

I actually read Eat Right 4 Your Type before I ever did Atkins or read the book. I followed the diet for a while and felt pretty good on it, I think the book makes a lot of good points. The "Type O" version of the diet is actually quite similar to Atkins. It pushes lots of protein and leafy greens while placing the majority of grains including wheat and corn on the bad list. It does allow oats and rice, and to be honest those grains have never given me the digestive problems that I get from wheat and corn (ie. horrible gas, bloating, cramps). So who knows? I had a problem staying on the diet because there are just so many restrictions it's nearly impossible. You can't eat pork, most cheeses, cabbage, cucumbers, and the list goes on and on. I think I felt good on it mainly because I was cutting out wheat. So I guess my opinion is that the book has a lot of good information tucked inside it, but since most of the evidence supporting D'Adamo's claims is anecdotal, I would hesitate to recommend that anyone adopt it as an eating plan for life.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 11:10

Stats: 140.5/121/120 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

is anyone besides me finding Ms. Gwynyth a trifle tiring lately?

she's soooo hip if you don't believe me, just ask her
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 13:28

Plan: ****
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 25
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishw1213
I actually read Eat Right 4 Your Type before I ever did Atkins or read the book. I followed the diet for a while and felt pretty good on it, I think the book makes a lot of good points. The "Type O" version of the diet is actually quite similar to Atkins. It pushes lots of protein and leafy greens while placing the majority of grains including wheat and corn on the bad list. ...
Yes, I agree that ER4YT has some very good points. The Type B diet solved a lot of problems for me, and I carefully avoid a few things that I know bother me. Chicken, especially gives me a lot of grief. Dr. D'Adamo talks about insulin resistance in relation to certain foods for Type B that I also follow. Combined with Atkins, it can be a powerful tool for health and weight loss.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 13:34

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 162/153/145 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I've read ERFYT, too - I've got A blood, and should be happiest as a vegan or near-vegan. Go figure, I'm not happy as a vegan! At all! My body seems to want meat, cheese, chicken, fish, eggs, and lots and lots of veggies. (plus some nuts and occasional legumes and fruit)

but hey, if anyone derives benefit from it, that's their ball of wax.

Even Gwyneth, bless her cotton-pickin' heart. Has anyone told her that she's not a medical professional?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 13:47

Plan: ****
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 25
BF:

Yes, Hi Vicki,

You're right. Dh is Type A and totally ignores ER4YT, and he's doing fine. I always say that everyone is different, even people with the same blood type. ER4YT doesn't work for everyone, even as other diets do not work for everyone. The only thing I'm saying is that parts of the Type B diet suit me well, and I have inserted those parts into my WOL to help with my journey.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 15:49

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

Personally, I find it annoying that she is an AMERICAN actress who insists on using "stones" instead of "pounds" to describe weight. That, and the fake accent annoy me.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 16:36

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

She's married to a brit from Coldplay. Accents sort of rubs on on you. My best friend married a brit and now he sounds british and he lives on the west coast of the US.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 16:52
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

I don't think anyone who is a stick figure and never had a weight problem could possibly know what it's like!!!

"...and I was seriously macro for awhile" yeah maybe because it was trendy in Hollywood or amongst her peers....

But why do I feel like she should be saying

"Like I was seriously macro for awhile....Oh my god!!"
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 16:56

Plan: Atkins,SB,GI now!
Stats: 217/206/150 Female 5'4''
BF:i/cant/count
Progress: 16%

Gwyneth is stupid. Who would pay attention to somebody who names their kid after a fruit???
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 20:09

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%
Default Macrobiotics...science? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm sorry...I can't seem to stop laughing!
uh...the science of food?
Macrobiotics is the astrology of the diet world Gwyn.....sorry.