Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 22:40

Plan: modified
Stats: 166/164/145 Female 5'9"
BF:flabby/to/firm
Progress: 10%

Hi! I'm new too and I wish you Eric the best of luck in the world!! I think you can do it with all of the help and motivation of all of these wonderful people. I can't believe how friendly these people are Good luck! I really admire you for trying to be different from your parents, and your only 14! You go boy!! I wish I could go to school with you and hang out...rrr I hate mean kids! Don't let them get to ya! Before you know it you'll be slim and you just might find a sweet girl
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 23:46

Plan: Atkins Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 6 Feet 1 Inch
BF:
Progress: 15%

Thanks all

Eskimissy, YOUR NOT FAT! lol....How much did your mom lose? I read that in your profile.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 23:46
aka Celestine

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi Eric,

What did you have to eat today? Do you feel like you did a first day of induction? Ugh, you might be feeling crappy, but let me know, either way.

Liz
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 23:48
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I have to congratulate you on being mature enough to want to do something about your weight at the age of 14. I have a 14 year old son myself...he is my youngest....and he is overweight as well so I often wish he would do Atkins.

Let's start with the basics .........

Everyday be sure that you get 8 8-ounce glasses of fresh water *minimum*. You can have more if you wish especially on very hot days but be sure to get that 8 glasses a day. It can be tap or bottled. Whatever you like.

Fresh meat (beef, lamb, pork, veal), chicken, poultry and seafoods are good. Eggs are also good and cheap too. You can have bacon and sausages too but keep in mind these are fill of salt so you want to eat those in moderation.
Fish in the cans is good too if you like fish.

Eat lots of non-starchy vegetables. Salads, etc.

Use olive oil for your salads. It is good for you.

Take a multivitamin each day.

Also each day do some type of exercise.......walk, swim, play basketball...whatever you like for a minimum of 30 minutes a day.

Ask your mom if she can get you a membership at a YMCA if you are old enough to join one. You will have to go down and ask them if you are old enough to join. I know here where I live that 14 years if the age kids are allowed to join and if your mom is not getting much money the YWCA does have programs to allow people with very little money to join up. I pay $18.00 a month for my YWCA membership.

Occasionally eat some fruit like strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. They are the lowest carb fruits per serving (1 cup full) and if you have them now and then...maybe twice a month (or less) then you will not feel like you are depriving yourself when you want something sweet.

This is how I eat and what I do and I have gone from 374 pounds to 322 pounds so far.

Everyone here has given you some very good advice. Good luck to you
and I wish you the best. I know how you feel about being depressed about your weight. I feel the same way about mine. It *is* depressing to be fat. One thing I want to ask is have you told your mom how you feel about losing weight so she can help buy you the foods you will need and possibly get you a YMCA membership?
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 00:12

hehehe, my mom lost 20 pounds. Now I'm the heaviest one in my family so far. It's just kinda hard when I go see them, and the first thing my granma says to me is "Reina (princess in spanish), you need to watch what you eat. You're getting a little (insert weird ass face here!)" That was not fun!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 00:16

Ok, I'm posting in the wrong thing for this question, but im really confused. what the heck is a journal? I have that icon stuck on my user name. All I want to do is post questions, but I dont think I'm doing it right. For some reason it posted on my journal, instead of a new thread (or at least that's what I think) Help! how do I just post a new thread. I did it before but now I can't figure it out. I'm having a blonde moment...hehe, I'm a brunette too
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 00:28

Plan: NHE/UD2/General LC
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 6'
BF:10/6/?
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwhip
Hi Eric,

What did you have to eat today? Do you feel like you did a first day of induction? Ugh, you might be feeling crappy, but let me know, either way.

Liz

Very true! The first few days are the hardest... by day 4 or 5 you should be feeling MUCH better. Hang in there!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 01:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwhip
Hi Eric,

Liz

Hmmm...

Breakfast: Water of course, Bob Evans Sausage, Scrambled Eggs (plain)

Lunch: Water, Just Turkey Bacon, nothing with it.

Dinner: Some kind of meat, not sure what it was for sure... some kind of porkand a salad with Thousand Island dressing (like 6grams of carbs worth) thats all we had for dressings at the time.

Late LATE night snack: No Carb No Anything AquaCal Flavored Water and BBQ Chicharron Pork Skins

How did I do?
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 01:29
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hmmmm - looks like you did great! Darn it I wanted to correct you! (kidding).

How much water did you drink, approximately?

Liz
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 01:38

BF:

Around five or six 16.9 Ounce Bottles worth...

#26   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 02:21

Stats: 223/205/160 Female 171cm
BF:42%/37%/??
Progress: 29%

Hi Eric,
Here is a link to some Induction recipes on this website:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...kfast+induction

I reckon most things on there are quite easy to prepare.
Good luck! You can do this!
Vess
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 04:25

Stats: 320.0/282.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Smile Inspiration!

Eric, I admire you for stepping out and taking control of your life!

You do need to live and experience life to the fullest by having friends, being able to go out and do things, and not be the butt of all "fat" jokes at your school. Please check in here often for encouragement and check into the Low Carb (LC) plans that are outlined here in the Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support. You are going to go far, and we will be here to help you all the way!

Kristal
musicwoman
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 08:11

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I do believe that low carb is healthy for kids. I had no idea what low carb was when I was a kid but I was skinny as a rail. I did not eat rice or breads. The only time I ate bread was when it was on a sandwich. Never had it with a meal. I did eat corn and potatoes. I also ate candy but my sweet consumption was strictly policed by my mom. Now if I had a diet that consisted of strawberries, raspberries, cantalope, blackberries,honeydew, spinach, turnip greens, mustard greens, collards,kale, bell peppers ( all the colors ), jacima, avocado ( the most nutritious fruit on the planet ), radishes, cauliflower, broccoli, romaine lettuce,full fat yogurt and cottage cheese, mushrooms,butter, olive oil, peanut oil, chicken, fish ,eggs, cheese, beef and pork, to name just a few. Not only will you lose weight but you will be the healthiest kid on the block-Beleedat. Just because you have alot of weight to lose doesn't mean that you have to stay longer than 2 weeks on induction. After 2 weeks begin adding macadamia, brazil nuts and almonds. You can also begin adding berries.

You can even get low carb milk so Mom won't need to worry about where your calcium would come from. There are also low carb cereals that you can add after induction . Now, I am a mom and I was once a kid so I know that there are alot of things that you don't like. As a mom I am telling you to try everything. I can also guarantee you that if you are mindful of your servings, for example:For breakfast, do not exceed 2 eggs, 2 slices of bacon, 4 ozs of cheese, You will be healthy and you will lose weight. Throw a veggie in a breakfast time like asparagus or broccoli. Although everyone is different, kids have a very high metabolism so I am guessing that the weight will come off for you.

Another suggestion is to watch "Low Carb and Loving It" with George Stella. You will get the bulk of your inspiration from watching the beginning of the show where he discusses his weight of over 400 lbs. He had to lose weight. His entire family was very over weight and together they lost nearly 1,000 lbs. This tv series is on the Food Network. You will have to check your local listings, it comes on here, on Sundays at noon.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 10:05

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 232.8/210/185 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Great job Eric!! You totally can do this!! Looks like Liz has taken you under her wing and she will be a great advisor. I will be glad to help with any questions/ideas too! I admire you for taking control of your situation!! You will be amazed at the results!!

Dont forget to start a journal (in the journal thread) so we can keep up with you! Good luck!!
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 12:38
I KNOW I CAN!!!

Plan: A combo of a few
Stats: 208/172/155 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hello Eric, and welcome to the forum

Congrats on your decision to make your life better. Being overweight is no fun, but just remember, we're all here for the same reason...TO LOSE. We will all support you in any way possible. Nobody here judges, and I think that's why so many people, including myself, live and breathe this place. The people are great and so supportive.

I would recommend you start a journal. If you look on the main page, you'll see a listing called Journal/Bootcamp. You can start your own journal and name it what you like. It's a place to list any feelings, successes, troubles etc you might be having. It's a great way to meet wonderful people and to get great support. Also, there is a free website called www.fitday.com and you can go there, start your own account, and log all of your foods there. It's a great way to keep track of everything you are having. It will break down calories, fat, carbs etc and you can see where everything is coming from.

You can do this!!!! Don't do it for anybody but YOU!!!! If your mom won't help you, do the best you can with what you've got. Call your uncle or come here with any questions you may have. Knowing you are not alone sure helps. Hang in there and stick with it. I have a hard time remembering this at times too, but read the signature on my post. When you think of cheating or having something you shouldn't, try and remember that. What you want MOST is to feel great going back to school. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!