Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 07:15
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

I have roughly another 2 months to go on this cycle, but there will be some traveling involved and gym access is not certain.

Anyhow, I'd like to get my single-rep max bench up another 5 kilos to 65kg (~143 lbs). But more importantly, I'm doing remedial squat and deadlift work (for my joints and support muscles), and by the end of this cycle I would like to be getting up there again. My squat goals are: 20 reps x 60kg; 1RM x 80kg. (~175 lbs)

Deadlifting is another story. That is WAY behind and if I can get a 1RM x 80kg there I will be absolutely delighted. Right now I'm at 10 x 60kg and will not be trying any max lifts on either squat or deads until my support muscles get stronger...probably another month.

So there we are.

on edit: speaking of lateral raises, one set with 10kg (22 lbs) practically KILLED my elbows.

Emily
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 09:04

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by loCarbJ

I am excluding my lower body from this challange. Got to preserve them for tomorrow's century ride and Sunday's 5K sprint run (and all the future weekends like that).

J.
Jeff, there is nothing wrong with partly cutting back lower body weight training - temporary - during race preparation. (Though I would recommend very diligent stretching sessions. ) I assume the 50 miles Lake Tahoe means that you chose the 9 miles kayaking, 35 miles bike, 10 k run option. If you plan to race in this 5k-10k race, you can get enough strenght from speed work (see your 5k sprints) and from hill work. (One remark: in this case hill work means RUNNING up AND DOWNHILL. Mountain biking is excellent exercise, but you have to prepare your body for the "pecial killing effect" of RUNNING.)

However if after your October tirathlon you consider to run longer distance (for example hal-marathon as part of an half Ironman distance triathlon ) you NEED lower body workout. Not only the traditional "bodybuilding" exercises, but a couple of special runner exercises to prevent injury.

Good luck for your races and challenges.

Eva

P.s.:
Quote:
Originally Posted by loCarbJ
I already have big thighs (24 inches) and big calves (16 inches). I wonder what would happen if I just did upper body weight-training and left my hill-climbing workouts for my legs?

J.
I have 15.5 inches calves (up from 14 when I started to run) and want bigger. (One of the highlight of my LBWO.) Actually I consider them very sexy. But if 16 is big for a MAN, maybe I should consider to start a catabolizing cardio program to shrink them .

Last edited by Galadriell : Sat, Jul-17-04 at 10:46.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 09:27

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:

Though I think I am the one who is regarded as "cardio junky" by most of you, actually I DO have lifting goals/dreams. In a special way those goals are much more challenging than my running goals. To break my running PR in 10k hill (55 min), half-marathon (1:58) , marathon (4:30) is not really challenging. Because I am a relatively new runner (started only 18 months ago) to show any increase in speed, endurance is a part of a natural improvement.

On the other hand I have much more ambicious weight lifting goal/dream: to be strong enough to do 10 chins or pullups. Now I can do lat machine pulldonwns (both with underhand or overhand grips) 3 x 110 lbs. Being 131 lbs (and slowly shrinking) I do not think that this is unachievable. Maybe not before this Christmas, or not 10, only 3, but I am a very patient person.

Having a wonderful personal trainer - my Marine son, I have already learned many tricks. I would love to surprise him with these chins/pullups preferably before Christmas. I am not sure that I ever will be strong enought to imitate his "casual" one arm chins, but who knows? My marathon dream 18 months ago seemed total ridiculous too.

I must admit I am very motivated by all the lifting Queens/Kings here - looking forward to read more advices, shared experiences from all of you.

Special thanks for Emily for sharing her Body Rx experiences. (Both the bad and good.) Since I changed my routine to the Body Rx type splits, I see remarkable results. (I mean remarkable considering my age, and beginner status.) It seems that Body Rx workout plan works with a high fat, high protein, low carb diet as well.

My best wishes for all of you to your challenges.

Eva

Last edited by Galadriell : Sat, Jul-17-04 at 10:36.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 12:57
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

My goal is to be able to bench the newer Volkswagen beetle.

Have no desire to bench an old one
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 13:00
Southern Gentleman

Or maybe 275 lbs, whichever comes first.
(Really 300 lbs, but gotta' start somewhere!)
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 13:15
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipperoo
My goal is to be able to bench the newer Volkswagen beetle.

Have no desire to bench an old one

I drive one of these...you can use it if you like
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 14:04
Ex-Patriot

Maybe I should aim to bench the old VW beetle...it's lighter enough to be considered a "girlie" weight?

Emily
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 14:09
Southern Gentleman

Heehee, I was just about to reply to liftnlady when I read your's Emily.

Wanted to make sure her Beetle was not pink, 'cause I just can't let myself be seen lifting little pink "girlie" weights

Might tarnish what little image I have!
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 14:36
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

perish the thought...it is a very manly black...also a turbo I might add !!
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 14:53
Ex-Patriot

Galadriell, I would be very interested in the "runner" exercises to prevent injury. I run for my cardio training, and it's done wonders for my asthma--nothing else even made a dent, doing interval runs has pretty much cured it. I don't want to give it up, but I'm a little concerned about running 3x/week at my weight. My knees tend to complain a bit the day after, and since I want to be doing this when I'm 80 I want to make sure I'm not damaging myself now. At the same time I don't want to have to give up the running, because of the asthma benefits. Any exercises you can suggest?

Emily
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 15:02

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Thanks for the input on lateral raises, Jon and Emily. I think I will stick with the 15s for now. The 20s don't come in pink vinyl anyway.

Jen
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 17:32

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%

I have a question for you lifters. I have worked out with different groups and each has their own style of lifting. I also tried the 'Body for Life' style back in 1999. What are your philosophies on sets and reps?

Anne's class (director of fitness): 2 or 3 sets of 12 reps.
Bruce's class (the evening shift): 4 sets of 16 reps.
Phil (my Dad, he owned a club): 2 or 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps.
BFL: you know, the progressively higher weight, progressively lower reps and then a slight switch with high reps of a lower weight.

Jeff

Last edited by loCarbJ : Sat, Jul-17-04 at 17:37.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 17:53
Ex-Patriot

I do power training, or in plain English, I train for brute strength. I always want to maintain form in order to avoid injury, but my primary goal is to move the greatest amount of weight in the following three lifts: Bench Press, Squat, and Sumo Deadlift. However, although these are my main focus lifts, I have to develop all the musculature of the body, or else I will not achieve my potential in the power lifts because there will be a weak link.

If I'm on a non-keto diet, I do 3 to 4 sets of 6 reps, plus one or two warmup sets beforehand.

If I'm on a keto diet, I do approximately the same workout but I allow myself to take rest/pauses between reps, towards the end of a set. Sometimes it can be as much at 6 or 7 seconds pause and breathing, during a long set of squats or deadlifts. I don't do this on non-keto because I don't need to.

For Bench Press, my work sets are 6 reps or less, with 2 to 3 minutes of rest between. For Squat and Deadlift, my work sets are much longer; 15 to 20 reps for the first set; 12 for the second; raise the weight and 6 -12 for the third set. But I am deliberately trying to strengthen my core muscles right now, and bring up my lower body strength, which is proportionally FAR behind my upper body. I mean, I can bench 135 lbs, which is pretty good for a girl...but my top squat is only 165 lbs. I should be able to do at least a 200 lbs squat if I can bench 135. (And if that is a weird situation for a man to be in, it is downright bizarre for a woman. I have no excuse. I benched the hell out of it for years, and did foofy weights for lower body, now it's time to bite the bullet.)

I found the BFL program very effective for increasing muscle size, but not strength. IMO, it's really a bodybuilding program. Since I am more of a natural powerlifter (or perhaps Olympic lifter, I haven't really tried the Olympic lifts yet), I find that short sets of very heavy weights work better for me.

Emily
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 18:31
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

I vary set length and intensity - I don't think it's a good idea to ONLY do long sets, or ONLY do short, heavy sets. I've had good success switching it up from time to time.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 18:31
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipperoo
Heehee, I was just about to reply to liftnlady when I read your's Emily.

Wanted to make sure her Beetle was not pink, 'cause I just can't let myself be seen lifting little pink "girlie" weights

Might tarnish what little image I have!

Don't worry bud - we all know YOU'RE a boy!