Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 12:54

Plan: SB
Stats: 142/135/120 Female 5:3
BF:
Progress:

Morning Anu or it is night in India - so hope you are sleeping well. Since I started menopause, I have trouble sleeping. Also I am on Zyban which keeps you awake.....

I hear you on having help in the kitchen, gardening, etc. etc. Our relatives in India seem to love all this and sometimes when they come over to Canada, they are amazed at how much work we do here. Your daughter sounds creative and there is so much demand for graphic designers!

My daughter is in 3r'd yr. of University and is taking a degree in Social Work - or some field of it. It, to my knowledge, was a 4 yr. course but she plans to take it in 5 - just means more money mom has to put out - the ex pays nothing.....sometimes Canadian laws suck!

So I did good yesterday - broiled steak and salad for supper - drank all my water and the scale rewarded me with a 135.4 in the morning.....this is a loss of what I gained over the weekend....

Sandhya - hope you are doing well!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 18:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/138/120 Female 5'-2"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hello ladies

I'm so excited- my wt has finally come down to 138 lbs. and has stayed there for a cpl days .I think what works for me is to stick to the basic induction.My metabolism does'nt allow me to have more than 20 g carbs.I'd be happy to continue this way as long as i keep losing lbs or inches.

Talking about sleep, i did'nt know menopause had an effect on that ! Jas-What kind of changes have you noticed since you started Menop? What about mood swings? I keep warning my DH abt his "troubled" time ahead, when all 3 women in the house will go thru TOM at different times thru the month!!!...lol...Each one pouncing and screaming at the slightest provocation.. .hehe, I'm sure the poor guy has started having nightmares or is thinking of reserving a bed and breakfast !!

Anu- Graphic designing and animation is an excellent choice. The gaming/ animation market is still very hot and flourishing.I suggest she takes up a full time extensive course that deals with free hand sketching- computer animation,Flash or action scripting,with other image and video editing software.

Coming back to the main topic- have you ppl tried increasing ur carbs for a few days and then getting back to lo-carbing..... Any positive experience with it? Does any one know of a vegetarian plan that's lo-carb and works? I need it for DH who's a pure vegetarian(no eggs- no meat).

will catch you all soon- till then TC

Happy lo-carbing ppl !
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 02:40
Registered Member

Stats: 187/177/154 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi Jas, Sandhya,
Great to hear from you both and thanks for on my daughter's career choice......though I can hardly call it a "career" choice as of now....she has a long long way to go!
Good to know you girls have been having some success. I'm like you Sandhya.....only basic induction works for me. One roti, one darned roti is all it takes to derail me! Fortunately, I don't really have an additiction for sweets (I can't stop myself from that generous helping from the dessert tray....but I don't go looking for sweets if there aren't any in the house!) Big deal? You're right......
There's a thread on this site which talks of carb cycling....it generated a whole lot of interest. I think it's on "general low carb". Y'know....a few days on, a few days off and a 1/2-2lb drop after each cycle! Have a look.
If your hubby is a pure veggie....I dont think Atkins is the right plan for him, unless he's prepared to eat tons of butter!
I've got to go now, hope to chat with you sometime soon,
Greeting from India, Anu
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 12:53

BF:
Progress:

It is Friday ladies......what are everyone's plans for the weekend? It is getting colder here in Alberta, Canada - still no complaints though as the winter has been pretty mild for us!

I am spending tomorrow with DS who is an Electrical Engineer and is 24 yrs. old. Just recently Grandma gave him all kind of Indian spices which he does not know how to use. Both my kids love Indian food as they have been eating it since they were babies! So tomorrow, I am teaching my son how to make Daal, Sabji, rice and Makhni Chicken! We are also going to play some cards and hopefully, I can beat him! DH is going ice quadding on the frozen river with his buddies!

So my scale has stayed around 135 for a few days....I hope I don't get carried away tomorrow....weekends are really bad for me!

Sandhya - good job on the 138 lbs.....you are very similar to my weight. As for menopause, I believe I have had all the symptoms some time or the other. I used to be always cold but now I sleep with the window slightly open. Mood swings....ha ha - I think this has been going on all my lilfe - cannot blame it on menopause I started some hormone thereapy about 3 yrs. ago but it did not agree with me - I developed a rash and also gained a lot of weight...def...not acceptable. So I just use some herbs and basically live with it!

As for carbs, I eat at least 2 fruits a day but then again I am not on Induction...I just try to eat good carbs and stay away from rice & rotis (which I love)! So your hubby is pure vegetarian - wow! So do you cook meat on a regular basis?

Anu - I hear you about rotis....my weakness.....good thing I don't make this very often. Tomorrow will be a challenge as when I make Mah Ki Daal - I always overeat! I am sure there are a million carbs in this.... I have a girlfriend who swears that increasing carbs works for her!

Any ways, back to the old grind....see you all on Monday!
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 12:31

BF:
Progress:

The weather is beautiful here.....where is everyone?

Have you guys heard of the Special K challenge - well, I am going to do this for 2 weeks - call me silly or what - but if I can eat some good carbs, reduce portions and still lose 6 lbs. in 2 weeks - I will do it!
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-06, 12:08

BF:

Hey Jas

Sorry for not being arnd, have been busy with the other threads gathering info.What is this K challenge? and can one really lose that much in 2 weeks- WOW.I've only abt lost 6 lbs in 2 1/2 months.
After a lot of researching and confliction, i've pushed hubby on a SBD.This one seems most appropriate for vegetarians.Lets wait and see the results- if any !
B'bye
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 11:27

BF:
Progress:

Sandhya.....I really don't know if it will work but it is worth a try. I like cereal and over the years of low carb, I must admit that I have missed my fruits & cereal....all in moderation is the key. SBD is actually what I try to do as it allows for nuts & fruits. It is healthy if nothing else!

The Special K challenge is that you replace any 2 meals of the day with a bowl of cerial and 1% milk. Eat fruits & veges for snacks. Eat a sensible meal at supper time. Sounds doable!

So it is Friday.....I have so much cleaning to do this weekend. The furnace people are coming over to clean the ducts which no doubt will create more dust! Never ending.

Anu - I envy you with the servants and all......
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-06, 02:43
Registered Member

Stats: 187/177/154 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi Jas, Sandhya,
Great of you to keep writing in. Jas, I KNOW....house work is never ending. In India, even though one gets hired help, there's a lot that needs to be done and weekends are the only opportunity. One's also got to remember that India's a very very dusty country...that's one thing you guys dont have to contend with, is'nt it?
Stay well both of you and happy locarbing!
Anu
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-06, 18:33

BF:

Hey everyone

Jas,After i heard from you about the K challenge, saw a whole lot of commercials on TV- did it work for you? Do let us know about your progress.I'm hooked to the basics.Anything above 20-25g Carbs reaches my wrong spots.I am so fed up trying to measure and dissect before i eat.Basically i do well for 2-3 weeks and there walks in TOM to blow it all up

Talking about cleaning- i have my entire house upside down.I'm trying to swap my study with the guest room, and in the process have turned the house into a fish market.So now i'm sitting on a pile of clothes inside my closet, trying to find wt.loss solutions -tips and tricks !!

Anu, how are you doing ? Are you experiencing any good results ?I've put hubby on SBD and he hasnt lost any weight yet.Keep telling him-Patience is the name of the game, while i scream my heart out here!
tch- Double standards

Catch you guys later !
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-06, 19:24

Plan: Semi South Beach
Stats: 167.5/138/130 Female 66.6 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi

I'd like to join this thread.

I am Indian (gujarati) born in the United States. I started to enjoy enjoy indian food 5 years ago. When my mom cooked indian food when I was a child, I never liked it. I wanted to eat what the other kids were eating. It was until I met my husband that I realized how good indian food is.

Now I love my mom's cooking and wish I learned how to cook indian food. I'm trying to learn how to cook indian low carb. It's just so hard when I never really learned how to cook indian food. I'd love to hear some easy recipes for chicken (especially tandoori). My mom is a vegetarian so she doesn't know how to make any of the meat dishes. I eat steak too and was wondering if anyone had recipes. My favorite dish is saag paneer. Spinach is very low in carbs, right? Does anyone have a recipe for it?

Purvi
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-06, 12:20

BF:
Progress:

Neela welcome - I am new here as well but Anu and Sandhya are soooooo nice. Funny you should say that saag paneer is your fav. It is my hubby's too and he is WHITE Canadian! He had never eaten any Indian food before he met me which was approx. 10 yrs. ago. Now whenever we go to the City, we have to go an Indian Smorg!! The only suggestion I have for Indian food is to leave potatoes, rice, daal & rotis out.

I also cheat when I cook Tandoori Chicken - I have bought a jar of paste from an Indian Store which I marinate with some yogurt and grill on the barbecue. Indian food, I find, is very easy to cook. The only thing is that it uses so many onions which are high, so try to do with less onions (yep - I know it affects the taste - lol)

Anu - I hear you on the housework! Did you say that we don't have any dust.... Girl, I have a lot of dust! You see, I live on an acreage about 1/2 hr. from the town I work in and we are beside a very busy road so it generates dust. Then we have the farmers all around us and when harvesting comes, they generate a lot of grain dust - but it probably isn't as bad as India though. My sister lives in Houston, TX and they use their air conditioning a lot and they have hardly any dust....I guess with our furnaces, we are stuck.

Sandhya - I sort of fell off the Special K challenge ( hides her head in shame) but I have started again. DH is away on a course so there is no reason I should not lose weight this week. So you are remodeling?
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-06, 12:50

Plan: Semi South Beach
Stats: 167.5/138/130 Female 66.6 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi Jas -

My husband is white too and he loves Indian food. He is the reason why I started to eat Indian food again. So I want to learn to cook so we both can enjoy Indian food. His favorite is saag paneer too.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-06, 12:51

BF:

Hey Neela.

Welcome to the thread! I'm so glad new lo-carbers are joining in.This thread is kinda slow, but very motivating.

It's nice to know you've taken to Indian food now.I can totally understand your situation when as a kid you hated it,well, so do my kids.They want to carry "junk" in their brown bags to school.I feel as you grows older you tend to get back to your roots and the basics.Now i eat every single food that i once hated as a kid , be it ginger, garlic, or green veggies.

Saag or palak paneer is very easy to cook. Just blanch spinach in boiling water so that it 's soft and tender. Do not throw away the water.Blend with some green chillies till it becomes a paste( depends on how smooth or coarse you want it). In a pan or wok drizzle some oil/ ghee (i use olive oil).put in a spoonful cumin - let it be golden brown , add crushed or chopped ginger, garlic- abt 1 tsp,add some dried red chilli peppers(optional), red chilli powder, paneer cubes and saute' for a few minutes.You can also add 1tbsp onions and tomatoes if you like (i don't since onions are high on carbs)Mix the spinach puree and let it cook for 5-10 mins to get the right flavor and consistency.You can add the water you saved from blanching if the spinach gets to thick in consistency.Add some salt towards the end and your dish is ready. You can garnish with a dash of butter/ ghee/ heavy cream.

You can try cooking tandoori veggies, chicken too. Just mariate all veggies or chicken in some olive oil, Tandoori masala, ginger garlic paste, some salt, roasted cumin powder, orange-red (tandoori color) and carom seeds(1/2 tsp).Omit yogurt to keep it lo-carb

Remember to cut the veggie, chicken pcs slightly thick.Keep aside for a cpl of hours.Let it cook in preheated oven or on outdoor grill (yummy ) drizzle some oil in between to keep the pcs tender.cook for abt 10-12 mins till the pcs are tender inside and crispy/smoke/ charred on the outside.Sqeeze some lemon juice on top or sprinkle chaat masala and serve.

Hope this helps.
Gotta go feed the roaring monster in my tummy now!

B'bye and keep lo-carbing!
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-06, 12:53

BF:

Wow, we posted at the same time.......Looks like everyone except anu is online.....
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-06, 13:01

BF:

I'm sorry Jas you fell off the K challenge, but take it as a break from the regular lo-carbing ! Just don't lose heart and get back on the plan.
Nay, me not remodeling-simply trying to distinguish and segregate spaces.Making room for guests coming this summer.

Jas, can you give me some tips on SBD .I'm waiting for my book to arrive and have searched the websites like crazy for vegetarians on SBD.

TC