Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 00:26

Plan: PP
Stats: 149.5/140.5/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Perfect bread recipe: sandwiches; toast; crackers!

After experimenting with a lot of bread recipes I found on this fabulous board, I've finally made the perfect (to me) sandwich bread! It's firm once it cools, and toasts like a crunchy dream! I bake it in the shallowish tray that came with our toaster oven, and it comes out thin as a slice of bread, and it really does taste like real wheat bread! If I add a little water to thin it and bake an even shallower tray, it makes crackers! Yes, real actual crackers that can hold cheese and stuff! I AM SO HAPPY!

1/4 cup wheat bran (Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup soy flour
2 T vital wheat gluten (Bob's Red Mill)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons powdered egg white
1/2 cup water (adjust for consistency)
2 T half-and-half
1 T butter
1/4 teaspoon salt (if desired)

Just mix it and pour it into something that will produce a nice, flat sheet (it will rise a little bit during baking). SPRAY THE PAN FIRST: this is a sticky dough and can be hard to get out. Bake in toaster oven at 400 for about 20 minutes. I brushed the top with a mixture of melted butter and half-and-half for a lovely chewy crust -- yum!

Immediately turn bread out onto flat surface to cool. Can be stuck right back in the toaster oven (or probably into a regular toaster) for crispy toast.

Whole recipe (makes four slices): 368 calories; 20 g fat; 25 g carb; 10 g fiber; 30 g protein.

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links