Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 14:59

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

*phew* back from foxwoods... man what a ride that was. we went to the LC buffet there & i LOVED it. i had 2 decent sized pieces of haddock, tons of cocktail shrimp, a few mussels, a huge salad, chicken & veggy stirfry, grilled chicken, bbq chicken, & pork ribs. like 4 plates of food. it was so damn good. and even tho i was 'binging' i really didn't feel that bad about it. that's kinda scary in a way. cuz when i snack constantly on LC snacks at home, i feel guilty for gorging, but i didn't that day. maybe i justified it in my mind as being LC so it was ok? or because i was on vacation? i dunno. now i know why its such a hard habit to break... cuz i'll tell u what, it really felt so great while i was eating it. in retrospect, im a little guilty, but i sure as hell wasnt when i was eating it- i enjoyed every minute of it... and it wasnt like one of those episodes where u eat uncontrollably, it was totally concious- i knew what i was doing, what i was eating... and just didnt really care. wierd. i dunno.

how was your weekend?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 07:39
I'm Back!

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 314/280/145 Female 5'3"
BF:Too Much!
Progress: 20%

I fell of the wagon so hard, I feel like crap. I know it is not really an excuse, but I had been going thru so much I just went into overload. I am starting over this time for good (I hope) I feel so sick. Sorry if I am whining. But I forgot how bad it all feels. I am going to switch to South Beach this time. I re-read the book and I really can relate to the food choices better. I miss my fruit. I am also not getting on a scale except for once a week! So today is day 1 for me. It will be very hard to fight the urge to get on every day but I will. Sorry I did not have good news for everyone. Jemman, the key is you were concious. That is a good thing and you made wise choices, so yes you may have ate alot, but you ate healthy. That is a huge accomplishment! You should pat yourself on the back!

Last edited by maries1964 : Thu, Jul-08-04 at 07:46.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 18:32

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 172/163/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thank You for starting this thread Marie!
Your picture looks so sweet and understanding...I thought I would reveal a bit about myself...

I ate 400 more calories today than I wanted to and even though I'm at 20 carbs...I feel so much right now..like binging on the whole tub of whipped cream I bought..I'm thinkingof going out and buying a whole chocolate cake and ice cream and eating them without my family knowing...also glazed doughnuts that my son brought home..sure looks good to. But before I binged I thought I would hop on here and see if anybody else was going through this......and reading what you guys wrote has stopped me from binging. Thank-You!

I usually binge after doing really well on a diet...today I am 11 days cheat free on atkins induction..I only have 3 more days until I am allowed to switched to the next phase. But the extra 400 calories is really scaring me cause I had already upped my calorie intake to 1300 for the day...and now here I sit at 1700! I've lost 4 pounds so far this month and I don't want to put it back on....seems it is so easy to do that with me....

Why do I want to do this..after I've had such success? Do I want to defeat myself? how dumb is that?!
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 10:37

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Tub of whipped cream?

Umm... what else is in it?

Around here, pre-whipped cream isn't the same thing as buying whipping cream and whipping it myself. Anything else in that tub could be what's setting you off--at least, it would be for me.

Something high-fat, or a couple of extra vitamin C, or L-Glutamine, can help stop the cravings, if this is the case.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 15:03

BF:

Hey CS....Yes...I have always gotten the heavy cream and whipped it myself...and just made 2 tbs full...but this time I just got a tub that was 2 carbs per 2 tbs and I only had 2 tbs but....it was difficult!

Thanks for the tips on extra vit-c I'm taking c-500 mg and carnitine and chromium....but not glutamine....I will up my vitamin c and look for some glutamine next time I'm at the store. Thanks!
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 09:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265.5/235/145 Female 68 inches
BF:Don't/Really/Know
Progress: 25%

yep, I am a binge eating. I only do that when I feel that no one cares or when I get depressed. I either do that or worst, I don't eat anything at all.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 07:59
I'm Back!

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 314/280/145 Female 5'3"
BF:Too Much!
Progress: 20%

Hi everyone! Thank you Zipety, welcome. I am very happy I started this too. I always felt so alone in this battle and it is such a newly diagnosed disorder, not too many unless you are a binge eater yourself understands. I am so sorry I haven't been here. I had some serious withdrawl from this place! I am just recovering from my last binge. My husband and kids are finally going to support me or at least try to. I cleaned all my cabinets out and fridge and went shopping by my South Beach induction list only! Everyone in the house will eat my way to some extent. They are willing that if they need a snack we are down the road (walking distance) from a little mom & pop store so they will go get whatever so there is nothing in the house. I don't want them to stop living I just don't want the junk in the house. I went back in time and adjusted my profile to my original weight BEFORE the forums instead of what I was when I started the forums and Atkins and I switched to South Beach. That seems more me, I miss my fruits and I like the idea of "small amounts of good carbs" vs "no carbs" . By the way heavenly, I feel ya, I am the same way it is either too much or none at all. And it is usually emotional. But there are times I am just in front of TV or relaxing and then start eating without really knowing it and before you know it I am full flege binging! I have gotten better at being aware though. Well, you all have a good day and make it a binge free one! I am always available I try to check my e-mails and get here at least once a day. Take Care
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 08:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/214/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:40
Progress: 28%

This is something that I'm working through right now. I did well for the first few months but now, just about anything to do with carbs can set off a binge. It was bad enough that I was hiding food from DH so he couldn't lecture me. I will get back to that place I was in Jan - April and I will regain control not let the food control me.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 09:46
The Spandex Killer

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 206.2/206.2/145 Female 5'9.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

MY DH hides food (like chips and candy etc.) in his office so that I'm not hit in the face with it in the kitchen. If I were to open the cabinet and see potato chips every day I think I'd be in a non-stop binge. I just feel like my self-control is the tinest thread. I hope that as months pass that thread will become something more substatial!

Recently, I don't think about eating all the junk food unless I see, so this has been very helpful for me and I appreciate him bending. I hope I'm not giving him a sneak-eating habit though -- but he says "no".
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 21:00

BF:

Cheesy and Marie..how nice that your family is cooperating.....that really helps.

Marge...you are doing terific on your diet! Losing pretty steady..the amount does matter as much to me as that it is steady.

My son gave my hubby a giant hershey bar yesterday and hubby took 2 small squares out of it and put it in the fridge...well they left the house...and I opened the fridge door for something to eat..and wham..it hit me in the face...I felt I had already eaten quite a bit...went out to eat after church (had salad with taco meat, 2 strawberries and no sugar whipped cream..and sugar free jello and steak....then after we went to a friends barbque...had hamburger minus the bun and a hot dog...when I got home I entered my numbers infit day and felt once again...oh what the heck I'm over what I should be anyway...then the hershey bar in the fridge..got me...I started with 6 squares of that..then on to the whipped cream..then the chocolate easter candy I'd had put away since april...ugh!!

I hate when I do this....I bought the Carbohydrate Addict book today at the discount book store.....I love the idea of a meal where you can eat a desert...they call it the complementary meal....I am just leary that If I get started on eating sweets...I won't be able to control myself.

It could help me to learn moderation though..so thinking about what atkins said....never just leave a diet....if you do..make sure you go onto another one so you don't lose all of the gains you made losing weight so far.

zipetydoda
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 10:34

oh my goodness u guys... i just read a book called "it was food vs me & i won!" it was such a great book & i would recommend it to all of you. it's helped me alot.

i will warn u that if u decide to check it out, the chick is an advocate of WW and kinda bashes atkins, but if u can get past that, ignore the diet part (which is only like 2 chapters) and read the rest of the book where she focuses on the emotional side of binging, you will definately find something you can relate to and something that will help you.

best book i've read so far on the subject. been binge-free since reading it and im no longer scared of binging either
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 10:37
The Spandex Killer

BF:

Jemman -- what was the key to no longer being afraid to binge? Can you summarize or is it to complicated to explain it?
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 10:38
The Spandex Killer

BF:

Zip -- Bummer, hang in there.

Quote:
I am just leary that If I get started on eating sweets...I won't be able to control myself.

That is me. I'm very afraid that a "little bit" of something will lead to a LOT of something.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 12:05

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Re CAD

I looked into this plan because I do have all the symptoms. I had to ask my heart rather than put it to the test. In my soul, I don't think I could stop.

I am also not willing to structure my life about what appear to me to be rigid eating times.

For me, it has simply been easier and safer to give up the white carbs altogether, than to try and limit when I eat them. Other people might weigh the variables differently.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesyPoof
Jemman -- what was the key to no longer being afraid to binge? Can you summarize or is it to complicated to explain it?

actually quite simple. it teaches you how to seperate your emotions from eating and forces you to deal with your feelings without resorting to food