Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 22:57
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Sorry. I'm a bad person. If you can't laugh at the newbies, what good are they?

Really, I'm hateful.

You are feeling the normal "sore" you get when you first start working out and overdo it. I used to think it was lactic acid, turns out it's some other complicated thing I don't quite understand, but it's the reason I always tell people who are starting out to lift so light, it feels STUPID. It takes about two weeks of gradually building up to it to get used to moving again. We have ALL done this.

When somebody close to you does it to themselves, it'll be YOUR turn to laugh your head off.

You'll live. You'll feel worse tomorrow, then it will settle down. Take pain killers, get a massage, have alternating hot and cold baths, keep the sore areas moving (light workout, active recovery helps move the bad stuff out of the muscles and gets rid of the pain). Drink lots of water, and pay attention to lifting what feels like stuff that's WAAAY too light for the first couple of workouts. GRADUALLY work the resistance up until you FEEL it the next day, but you aren't hobbling around like an 80 year old woman again. You'll feel VERY nervous about this, I know. But your nervousness will disapate as your strength and confidence grow.

Chortle.

I really am a horrible, horrible person.

You WILL live, though. And you'll be AMAZED at how much you can push in a couple of months. I did ass to the grass squats tonight with 115 pounds. Three years ago, I started with 8 pound dumbbells after WRECKING myself trying to squat 45 pounds the first time I tried. I was holding the rails to go down 3 stairs at work, cursing my buddy's name (the guy who helps me set up my programmes) the whole way. I was CRIPPLED for DAYS.

Grrrrrrrr...
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 05:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130.5/119.5/115 Female 4'10.5"
BF:32%/32%/22%
Progress: 71%

Built - you crack me up. I can't imagine how you answer all the questions on these forums directed atcha but you always manage. Thx again.

Today I did number 18 of 36 of my Slim Series. It was the lower body only workout which I'm not the fondest of, but atleast its only an hour. (Never thought I'd be sayin' that).

I'm still not losing any weight from these workouts but I do feel like I'm lookin' more toned but I'm not going to take an after picture until the very end of the rotation just in case there really is no change yet. I don't want to get discouraged.

Hope everyone is doing well today.
Jenny
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 11:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/207/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

um. Thanks... I think...seriously, Thank you for answering so quickly. I knew I would be sore...I know that if you are working out the right way, you should be in a state of uncomforabilty. I was just suprised it took 2 days to kick in.!!! anyway worked out last night even through my elderly day.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 11:52
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there

I'm sorry if I laughed at your pain. It's just that we've ALL been there, and the visual of walking like an 80-year-old brought back strong memories...

Now, when I increase my weights and I'm hobbling around, one of my coworkers (who also lifts) teases me: "Oh, look at the healthy bodybuilder, see how she can barely walk..."

You should feel better through the day, and MUCH better tomorrow and the next day.

#35   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 14:59

Stats: 184/173/140 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress:

I am thinking of trying a beach body product. I am always very limited on time....so are any of the workout systems shorter in length. I know that if I was needing to spend 60+ min a day that it just would not happen.

Thank you

Wendy
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 15:06

Power Half Hour (PHH) is apparently really good from what I read on Video Fitness Forum. Here's a link to PHH:
http://www.beachbody.com/jump.jsp?i...temType=GATEWAY

Here's a link to one of the many threads on video fitness about these (some pros and cons):
http://69.93.245.62/forum/showthrea...Power+Half+Hour

It will be my next beachbody purchase also.

jenny
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 07:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 153/145/125 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

Wendy- as Jenny said, the PHH is only 30 min. P90 isn't much longer, about 40 min, but that extra 10 minutes can feel like a lot longer With P90, I cut out the 5 minutes of power yoga to shorten it up a bit.

Jenny- when will you be ready to move on to PHH? I have it and I think I will do that one next, too. I've got awhile before I am done with P90, though. I'm on day 53.

Yesterday I logged my food into fitday and came in just over 1900 calories, 14% carbs. Today I am down 2 lbs. When I drop another couple lbs, I will know I'm right where I need to be
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 12:24

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

I got my P90 today!

Can't wait to read up and preview it!
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 12:38

Mamasara - That is awesome you got your p90 today!!!! I'm debating getting that too even though I already have p90x since I think the workouts might fit into my schedule better over the long haul. We'll see though, I think at this point if I purchase another anything workout"wise" I might have to get a marriage counselor.

Honeybee69 - Well I'm not done with Slim Series yet, I'm on 19 of 36 right now. Then I plan to start P90x which will take me atleast 90 days....so after that I might get PHH. All I do know is I don't know why it took me so long to find beachbody.com. I had never seen an infomercial or anything, I just heard about them through another post. Needless to say I totally picture myself getting everything they've put out there. I just, so far, really like how these workouts are done. Their don't mess around style, they get right to it and that is what make me like them so much.

Meanwhile called to return Si6 yesterday as I'm not using it since I got Slim Series and they offered me 50% off to keep it. So I thought, why not. I'll just use Burn it up every once in awhile I guess. That workout is actually perfect for vacation since you don't need any weights and it only uses one band.

Did Mix it up today. I probaby need to add more resistance and weight but I'm so afraid that if I do I'll regret it. These workouts use the same muscles on and off throughout the whole video so I'm thinking if I heavy up I might not be able to make it through. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try I'm just hard on myself if I can't do it.

Have a great day everyone.
Jenny
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 06:18

20 of 36 today. Over half way!!! Yay!! While I'm enjoying this new way of working out I do miss some of my old workouts. I might take a week to go back and do some of them before I move on to P90x, when I'm done with SS.

How's everyone holdin' up??

Jenny
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 06:28

Jenny, I think you are right---you're going to need a marriage counselor! You have a serious workout-buying habit! LOL!

Are you gettin' a beach body from Slim?
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 08:38

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 153/145/125 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

Jenny- Wow, you are moving on to P90X? Don't know when I'll be ready for that one! P90 level 3/4 is still tough for me. Isn't X about an hour long?

That is great you get to keep Si6 for half price. I plan to do mine once in a while for maintenance. I couldn't do BIU every day again but once or twice a week would be ok. I'm still trying get over the trauma of hearing "now 8 more reps"
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 13:13

mamasara - Well I wouldn't say I have a beachbody per say, but I did measure today and I've lost inches everywhere. I've lost 3 inches around my waist, Half an inch off my thighs and arms, and slightly around my chest. Now even though I've lost 3 inches off my waist I still look like an H body type. I just will never have an hour glass type figure, darn genetics

And yes I do have a workout video "acquiring" problem but in my defense the only one I have bought recently is Si6 (which now I got for 50% off). I have gotten P90x, a new firm, and Tamilee Webb I want that body, all through exchange on video fitness forum. Its killing me not to buy PHH though. One day.....

honeybee69 - Well I gotta say even though I have p90x and I do plan on doing it, this is the longest amount of time I've geared up to do anything. I'm thinking it is going to be VERY challenging. I'm trying to figure out a better eating plan to sustain myself during the rotation etc. To make sure I have all the correct equipment etc. So I'll tell ya I know I'm in for it. But I was afraid to get P90 first because I did that with Si6 and was dissapointed. Atleast with P90x I know I can atleast grow into it if I have to. Though like I said, I still picture myself buying P90 anyway.

jenny
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 04:47

Jenny, 3 inches off your waist is great! I would love that!!!

I started P90 this a.m. I like it, but I missed the fun of the FIRM. Also, it was a little easy. I broke a sweat, but not much. I'll see how sore I am tomorrow before I decided what I should do---increase my weights (I'd have to buy 12-15 lbs.) Or just move up to 3/4. It would be great if I'm already halfway to that Beach Body!

DS got up just as I was finishing, so I sat with him while he went through it and helped him correct his form. In some cases it's really bad because he just never seems to use his muscles--just sitting and standing. He's sort of like a lump of dough. I've been trying to remind him to sit straight at church and dinner, but I don't want to turn into a nag. I think he even thought I was nagging him during the workout. I didn't lose my cool, yet!, but I'm trying to make him understand how important form is--and going slooowwwly.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 12:29

Mamasara - I lied before (by accident), I also bought Slim Series off Ebay. But who's counting anyway???

You probably ARE half way to a beach body already. I think they market Si6 and P90 to beginners so it wouldn't surprise me a bit if you went right on to 3/4. That is what I did with Si6 (went right to the advanced). Its a pretty good feeling, isnt' it that all the work we do is paying off in more ways then we realize.

Well I understand completely about not wanting to be a nag, but you are sooo right about form. I mean that is how people injure themselves half the time let alone the fact of whether he'll get the results or not.

It was supposed to be the Cool it off day (which is an hour long stretch) but I just couldn't do that one today. I mean while I felt great after the last time I did it, to me it just isn't a workout unless I sweat. But I did go back to Si6 today and did Burn it up. Its a good workout, but I will definitely be adding ankle weights to it next time.

I'm so glad you and Iowagirl encouraged me to get up early to workout. It is soooo much better now. I get it out of the way and I get to do w/o having to "yell" at the kids the entire time. Let alone the fact if I want to plan something for that day I dont' have to wait until after 11am to do it.

jenny