Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-01, 16:50

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%
Smile A NEWBIE (with some ?'s)

Hi Everyone,
im new here, just arrived in fact.
I have just dropped 2 lb from my heaviest weight ever of 177lb.
I have been on and off diets for years and it is getting me less than nowhere. I tend to live on refined carbs when Im not on a diet and need to eat more and more and often to prevent headaches and i get so depressed and lazy.
i did POTATOES NOT PROZAClast year for a few months and felt much better for it but didnt lose much in the way of weight. and i never got the hang of a potato before bed.
So i then went to WW but that ony legilsed everything again and I soon went overboard and lost all control.
Anyway i could go onfor hours but i have realised at last that i need to eat alot more protein and far less carbs and NO refined ones.Ive been following Sugar Busters WOE last 5 days but wonder if its enough as i do want to lose 50lb.
I also tried CARB ADDICTS diet and that was hard to eat no carbs all day (abit too restrictive) and then )well in the older book) you could have what you wanted at the one meal and I find it too hard to have that on and off eating.
I have the old original Atkins diet book where you were not allowed any carbs but from what Ive read here it looks like you can now have 20grams for the first two weeks and that is called induction?? Then you add 5grams a week? Can you eat as much meat chicken etc as you want to satisfy as before?? that would be pretty easy to follow I reakon.Well you know what I mean , not easy to do, but easy to follow.
I found the ZONE too much to think about Guessimating is all very good if you are on top of yourself but i fingd without set guidines i wander farther and farther waway from the plan and kid myself.
So do most of you do ATKINS as it looks,Im willing to get stuck into it with your support.
I live on a farm in New Zealand with lots of animals to eat :lol
Actually i prefer protein powder shakes.
I better post this so you can read it, eh

Bloom
Attached Images
File Type: gif enfold54.gif (1.2 KB, 151 views)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-01, 17:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard Bloom,

The majority follow Atkins and Protein Power, btu we have lots of members following other plans. Mane members who joined recently follow the Schwarbein Principle. We have an on going discussion about the various plans in the "Low Carb Plans Project" forum. Take a look around and see which one is suitable for you. But we're for support to low-carbers following any low-carb plan.

Glad you posted in the NZ forum as well, Lesley was just asking if we knew anyone from NZ

Wa'il

P.S. Yes, the 20g is basically the major change in the new Atkins book.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 09:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/140/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

Welcome!!!!

You will find lots and lots of encouragement here, that's for sure. Also, there are lots and lots of articles written by people that have been doing the LC carb thing for awhile.

Wow...New Zealand...I would love to visit there some day.

Jen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 09:48
Registered Member

Stats: 170/160/125
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Welcome

I am not a long time Atkins follower but I can give you an overview.

I am on day 4 of induction and yes, as you stated you are allowed 20grams per day. And yes, you can add 5 additional each week thereafter until you find that you are not losing any longer and then go back to the number where you were losing again.

I am partial to the Atkins diet because it encourages you to eat meats, eggs,cheese, jello, porkrinds and the like as much as you like. Just count the foods that actully have carbs. The book gives you a list a free foods and I try to eat as much of them as I want to halt the cravings.

I feel great and I wish you success in finding the low-carb program that suits you.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 13:55

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome bloom! good luck lowcarbing!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 15:22
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power/Atkins
Stats: 165/165/120
BF:
Progress: 0%

Welcome. I have been doing this for only 3 weeks, and I have lost 7 pounds. I am doing Atkins and I have been at 20 g of carbs for all 3 weeks and now this week too. I figure if I start adding carbs, my weight loss will slow down or stop and I am not ready fer that just yet. These forums are very helpful and supportive. Good luck and welcome.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 15:25

BF:

Hi Wa'il, Jen, Simone, Debbie and Giggles thanks for saying hello and welcoming me here.

Im still rather undecided what plan to follow, they all seem a lot alike in lots of ways . I want to cut out all refined foods and sugar and eat protien at every meal.
I dont like the idea of cutting my carbs as low as Atkins really even to start with because i do suffer terrible headaches that last up to 3 days if my blood sugar gets too low. I tried to go on his old plan once and I could hardly walk I was so weak, so I suppose we are all different in what suits us and our bodies requirments.
I dont know anything of PP but SP sounds like a good one for me or SB as i had started doing. The SP allows for small frequent meals with a small amount of natural carbs at each meal and snack to be eaten along with protein and that sounds about right to me. The thing I dont want to do that is in the SP plan is eating vege at breakfast. I like to have my protein shake and leave it at that. I think I will do my own blend of SP/SB is that OK??
i did Body for Life for a while (well the dietry side of it) and felt wonderful. that was 6 small meals a day with 100 gram protein and 100grams carb spread over the day. Not so low cxarb but soo much lower than what I had been eaten . I was ill for days when I first went on it but then I had energy and lots of 'vim' in my step Ohh desisions

JEN If you want to come to NZ now is a good time as our dollar is so low you will have heaps to spend with the exchange rate Where abouts are you from?
Is this an American site??
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 15:31
Registered Member

Stats: 170/160/125
BF:
Progress: 22%

This is an American Site. With lots and lots of International Flavor
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 15:38
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloom
Is this an American site??

It's seasonal! Sometimes it seems like a Vancouver site, but then it turns to to Texas site. Yesterday it was a Kiwi site!

But it is a low-carb site, started by a big Canadian guy. The majority of us happen to be from North America, but we want to spread the word all over. World domination, baby.

Wa'il
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 15:40

BF:

Thanks, Its nice to know where I am :lol
I was wondering cos there didnt seem to be the usual .com so I thought maybe we were in Engalnd.
Attached Images
File Type: gif globe3.gif (125.8 KB, 132 views)
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 16:08

Plan: Dr Atkins/PP
Stats: 180/170/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally posted by tamarian

But it is a low-carb site, started by a big Canadian guy. The majority of us happen to be from North America, but we want to spread the word all over. World domination, baby.

Wa'il

I just want to add to the quote..it should say big "hearted" Canadian guy..

BTW, welcome to the site Bloom!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 20:50
Registered Member

Stats: 156/140/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest..of the US.

I have recently moved here from Arizona so it's quite a change for me. My hubby and I have talked about visiting NZ and Australia...if only we could win the lottery. LOL

Jen
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 02:01
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 208/191/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Thumbs up Welcome

Hi Bloom,
Welcome to a great site ,you get loads of tips here i have been on the atkins diet for nearly 3 weeks now and finding it easy to do ,my weight loss so far has been really good last Thursday i had lost 14lbs so i hope you enjoy low carbing i find it a lot better than low fat.

good luck

Linda
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 03:58

BF:
Thumbs up PROTEIN POWER

Well Ive been doing my homework the last couple of days and gone with protein power
Went in to the city and sat on the floor of the book shop for 45 mins deciding which one to get and that I really felt i can live with and PP it was.
Im starting in 100% tomorrow
Attached Images
File Type: gif cool_carrot_md_wht.gif (11.3 KB, 108 views)
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 04:32
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 208/191/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default PROTIEN POWER

HI BLOOM
YOU SAY PROTIE POWER HOW DOES THAT DIFFER FROM THE ATKINS DIET?

GO FOR IT
LINDA