Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 05:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/206/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Unhappy

Hi...

I seem to have reached this thread a little late but will add my sixpence'worth anyway!

Between the ages of 14 and 16 (I'm now 19 going on 20) I was a Bulimic/ Anorexic who planned half my life around food. It began in 1998 when, after 8 years of bullying about my weight and general appearance, something snapped and I just started throwing up after meals. I don't know why I chose this- one day I just started, and it became the regular thing for the next two years. Another contributing factor was that I started puberty relatively young- didn't have my first period until I was 14- and absolutely hated it. When 'that time of the month' came around I would put on upto a quarter of a stone and it wouldn't go for almost two weeks. I wanted to be slim and popular, not the fat geek in the corner. So, in my messed up brain, I decided that the only way of achieving this was through an Eating Disorder. I would get up, drink a pint of milk and whatever I could find that was easy to throw up and that would be my breakfast gone. I would eat as much soup, dairy and liquid as possible as that was the easiest thing to get rid of. When I couldn't throw up because it was inconvenient, I would limit myself to 50 calories a day. If I went over this I would go and be sick anyway. It got to the point in 2000 when I was throwing up water- I had grown accustomed to feeling empty all the time and even the pressure of that on my stomach was too much to bear. In the end I blurted it all out to my mam before a school play I was in, and she took me to the doctor. I was prescribed Prozac which stopped the throwing up as it burned, and was put on a strict diet plan. I did keep relapsing, and as my lowest weight (8stone) is still 'healthy' for my height (5'8") no-one noticed, and as far as my doc was concerned she had another satified customer. It took my own sheer strength of will to pull me out of the rut I was in, and the help from my best friend (accompanying me to the toilet etc) that helped me eventually recover year later. I came out of it relatively unscathed compared to some; I have a clean bill of health, and my stomach functioning returned to normal last year. I was also able to help one of my old friends recover from anorexia- nothing beats home what you are doing to yourself better than when your friend is vanishing before your eyes. I managed to get 13 GCSEs, 4 A-Levels, and and soon to start my final year in my University degree after which I will train to become a teacher.

I am now on Atkins as after my recovery I have for the last year and a half had a stubborn 75lb to get rid of, which is making me obese. However, this time I want to lose it honestly, and with as little obsession as possible. I also want to keep eating healthily for the rest of my life; I've only been here 19 3/4 years- I want the rest of my life to be long, and healthy.

My advice to Seluratep is this. I know exactly how you feel about reducing your weight to overcome stressful situations- i did it myself. When I sat my GCSEs I was 112lb (actually, your ideal weight!) . However, denying that what you are doing is problematic is itself the biggest problem. After I stopped being bulimic, sure, I felt low and that I'd betrayed myself for some weird reason. But, if you step back, you have to FORGET emotional ties and acknowledge the physical effects of your actions- they will, eventually, kill you. I realised that early, I stopped. Please at least try
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 07:23
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by seluratep
Youd be surprised about that first part, actually. I mean, I seriously doubt you could go to any diet site and find them saying "Yeah, man! Anorexia is the way to go! Woot!" but they might as well, with their suggestions. Ive been to many diet sites where they offer meals plans as low as 500 calories a day!! Anything under 800 calories is considered "starvation level" and anything under 1200 is considered unhealthy. Then there are those ridiculous grapefruit or cabbage diets, which offer no nutritional value.

Well, I wouldn't be that surprised, as I work in a book store and know exactly what sort of diet books we carry. (Ice cream diet, anyone?)

But that was just my point--no one is going to run around waving a flag that says, "Anorexia is the bestest EVAH!" That's because, at some level, they know that it's not healthy.

Quote:
Im truly sorry for your illness. Any food addiction is horrible to go through and I wouldnt wish it on anyone.

Unfortunatly, the USDA food pyramid "balanced meals" lead me down that road. For years I ate bagels with low fat cream cheese and plates of pasta and whole grain bread, because that was what I was told to do. Then the binging started, because carbs screw up your blood sugar, and there's not much you can do to stop them.

Quote:
However, I dont consider your comparison applicable on alll levels of eating. Drug/ food addictions are comparible to some extent, but in the end, you do need to find a healthy moderation with food, while abstaining is whats best with drugs. You cannot tell the recovering bulimic to abstain from food, just because she is addicted. A balance must be found. I stand by my previous statement about moderation. You need food to live; you do not need alcohol.

No, you would not tell a recovering bulimic to abstain from food. However, you would tell her to abstain from purging. You wouldn't say, "Okay, Sally... this week you can throw up HALF of what you eat! Don't worry, you're doing it in moderation!"

You need nutrition to live. You find that, for the most part, in meat and veggies. There is very little in bread or pasta or candy or soda that a body needs to live. Most of the important nutrients and vitamins that are important to a body are readily available from the foods I eat. I eat 5-6 cups of veggies a day, along with my meat and cheese and eggs.

Quote:
I understand your position with sugar, because you do not need sugar specifically to live. But I still think that you would find your optimum health when you found moderation of food.

So what foods am I missing? I eat veggies and fruit. (Those are carbs, by the way, despite what the food pyramid seems to think.) I eat meats and seafood. I eat cheese and eggs. I drink lots and lots of water.

How is this not balanced? All I'm not eating is heavily refined foods that aren't healthy for you anyways.
  #63   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 08:09
Registered Member

Plan: mixed
Stats: 115/90/110? Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by plum
I think the ketosis euphoria and the euphoria felt by the semi - fasting anorexic may be one and the same.

I also believe that anorexia and the disorders of insulin metabolism may well turn out in the end to be two sides of the same coin.

seluratep, I would like to recommend to you a book written in 1958 by a British Psychiatrist, Dr Richard Mackarness. Its called "Eat Fat and Grow Slim "
In fact most of this book is available on the internet, if you just do a search on Richard Mackarness or the book title !!!!

heres a little excerpt from the chapter entitled "Psychiatric aspects of Obesity and Food Addiction"...remember, this is from 1958....

"Follow up studies in anorexia nervosa are not numerous, but they show a high relapse rate, varying from 20 % to 65% three to ten years after the first admission. So the standard treatment as outlined briefly above, cannot be called good.
Are doctors looking at the illness from the wrong angle ? Should we not stop assuming that the patient's body and mind are wrong and ask whether the food they are being given is wrong for their real needs ? This could make anorexia nervosa a manifestation of of intolerance or hypersensitivity to too concentrated a diet of refined carbohydrate .... exactly the view I take of the causation of obesity "

Wow.. that does seem fascinating. Perhaps that is the reason Ive always found it so hard to recovery.

I'll definitely be looking for this book online. Thank you so much for the suggestion.
  #64   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 08:19
Registered Member

Plan: mixed
Stats: 115/90/110? Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

redworm- First of all, congratulations on your success and recovery! Your story was definitely inspiring.

Thank you for your concern and your advice. I came here, because I thought Id found a place similar to what I am going through and wanted to understand. You all have definitely given me a lot to think about and helped me to understand your lifestyle and why it is so beneficial.

Thank you all so much.. and Im sorry if I got off to an offensive start!

Breecita- Perhaps you are right. I, also, have always believes in the standard food pyramid and thought moderation of all of their sections would lead you to your optimum health.

But I am starting to see the flaws in the food pyramid; I dont know why I didnt see them before. They do not cater to a person's specific needs. What about vegetarians? I would always just replace their "meat" section with tofu and other high protein things. I suppose the same is true of carbs. You do get some carbs from fruit and veggies, so how could cutting out the processed bread and refined sugar be so bad?

Thank you again for your explanation. And I definitely do think it seems balanced. I'm not afraid to admit when I was wrong! My views have definitely changed some since Ive been here, and thats what I was hoping for.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 12:37

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Wink

I was a vegetarian for almost 4 years and after the inital adjustment it wasn't that big of a deal. Like you said there are plenty of products available that give adequate protein and other nutrients. So I commend you on cutting out meat. The atkin's diet (to me anyhow) is about finding a healthy way to give my body everything it needs to produce muscle, bone, blood etc. To become the best machine it can be. At my heaviest I would sit and eat an entire cake, shoving it in literally with my hands... Then later would be trying to throw it up. Luckily I didn't spiral too far into that. The Atkin's diet has helped me understand that food has a place in myself but it will not consume every aspect of it. Food is now just a requirement for my body to function, not an all consuming need that filled my day. There is not one single food that I couldn't give up, not one single food that I MUST have. Food does not control me anymore, the number on the scale does not control me anymore. I am in complete control over my body and it's health. To me that's an amazing feeling though it took me a long time to gain that kind of confidence in myself. Thanks to the Atkin's diet I've achieved that.

~ Cori ~

P.S we LC'ers are the anti-christ to people with ED's? LOL, didn't know we had an anti-fan club... I never thought of that, what causes this hatred?
  #66   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 07:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
we LC'ers are the anti-christ to people with ED's? LOL, didn't know we had an anti-fan club... I never thought of that, what causes this hatred?

Because their irrational paranoia and hatred of bodily fat translates into an irrational paranoia and hatred of dietary fat. Never mind that dietary fat is ESSENTIAL, never mind that our hair, skin, nails, mood, and energy tends to improve along with a LC lifestyle; we're lazy bacon-bingers looking for an easy way out. I don't bother hanging out even on recovery boards, because the hostile attitude persists and I'm sick and tired of myth-busting.
  #67   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 07:36

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Food does not control me anymore, the number on the scale does not control me anymore. I am in complete control over my body and it's health.

Cori, I couldn't agree more. Yes, there's a period when you're first learning to count carbs where you have to think about it more but once you get a good handle on how many carbs are in the typical foods that you eat, it's very liberating and I've found that I hardly have to think about it at all anymore; it's just become second nature to me. On top of that, I'm not thinking about food all the time because I'm hungry and constantly thinking about when my next meal will come as well as planning what I will eat at that next meal. When I get hungry now, it's true hunger and not a sugar-crash induced state where I'm ready to eat anything that isn't nailed down or moving.
My moods are also much better now as my family can attest to. All those sugar highs and crashes (and being hungry all the time) were making me decidedly grumpy before.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 14:30

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Tofi,
Had to comment you are good I am going to start reading more carefully.
Pat S.
  #69   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 19:44

Stats: 120/120/100 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Eating Disorders Vs. Low Carbing

As someone who has also struggled with an eating disorder I feel the need to interject here. I first developed an eating disorder at age 16. I am now 25 years old and have finally broken the binge purge cycle for almost a year now. I've been in treatment programs, as well as individual therapy and have undergone immense improvements in the last several years. I still struggle with body image and obsessing about food and my weight, however, I have been pretty good and keeping it under control. With that said, I think the girl who posted this orginal message has a point about the whole counting carbs thing, but perhaps didn't explain it properly.

First let me say that I do not think eating disorders are in any way comparable to Low Carbing. For one thing, eating disorders are rooted in deep psychological and emotional turmoil. While often times eating disorders begin with dieting that gets out of control, not everyone goes onto develop eating disorders. There are many factors which contribute to one's developing of an eating disorder, some of which are genetic, biological, social, emotional, psychological, etc. But to put things in the simplest of terms, the main difference between an eating disorder and Low Carbing is that an eating disorder is the SYMPTOM of a significant underlying issue, and it is one that is often times extremely dangerous and self destructive.

To my knowledge, Low Carbing is the exact opposite of such self destruction. Low Carbing seeks to optimize health, not destroy it. Low Carbing seeks to empower one's self... not weaken it. Low Carbing is not a diet that gets out of control, nor is it a disease.

With that said, I think the original poster had an important point in that I can see where some individuals could get carried away with counting carbs and living the "low carb" lifestyle; that is, I can see how it could become an obsession for some people. This same type of obsession is seen in people with eating disorders and so in this sense, I can see how one might make the comparison between the two.

But bottom line.... I think anything can turn into an obsession if you have an obsessive personality....
  #70   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 20:42

Stats: 150/150/125 Female 5'4"
BF:49/24/??
Progress: 0%

seluratep,

I could only read partway through this long posting, I noticed you said you were in a commited relashionship, how does your partner feel about you losing even more weight? Are they not scared of losing you.

I wonder just what has prompted your ED, do you have a handle on that, before you even think about losing more weight, deal with what is pushing you to think that 80 is the magic number and all the pain/hurt will leave you when you reach that weight, because it won't, it will still be there like a shadow on a sunny day, following you.

I myself use to have a magic number, and if I got below that then I would be "happy" and life would be grand, but I have realized along time ago, that life is grand everyday no mater how much I weight and no damn number on a scale can erase the painful memories that I have, I have dealth with them and they are in my past, now I want to live, and live for me!

A life is a terrible thing to waste please don't waste it, you have the power to change your world.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 10:03
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
First let me say that I do not think eating disorders are in any way comparable to Low Carbing. For one thing, eating disorders are rooted in deep psychological and emotional turmoil. While often times eating disorders begin with dieting that gets out of control, not everyone goes onto develop eating disorders. There are many factors which contribute to one's developing of an eating disorder, some of which are genetic, biological, social, emotional, psychological, etc.

One hears this "multifactoral" theory (genetic, biological, social, pocket lint, sports, hot sauce, etc) a lot when dealing with puzzling disorders. While some find multifactoral theories useful, I do not - they raise red flags for me in that they signify a disturbing failure of deductive thought.

Consider stomach ulcers. For decades ulcers were considered a multifactoral disease: caused by a combination of genetics, physical stress, emotional stress, spicy food, and so on. Ulcer patients were treated with milk and advised to reduce stress. Neither did much good.

It was then that Dr. Marshall and Dr. Warren discovered Helicobacter pylori - the bacteria that causes ulcers. (http://www.cellsalive.com/helico.htm) Although they were ridiculed for years, eventually the useless multifactoral model for ulcers imploded. Nowadays, antibiotics do an excellent job of curing or controlling most ulcers - and, spicy foods like hot peppers and garlic have antimicrobial properties that would have helped stop the ulcers before they started.

Consider obesity. One hears multifactoral models for obesity/overeating all the time - the same infuriating mixture of fatty diet, genetics, stress, etc. Stunningly, however, the simple steps of reducing the carbs and increasing the fat in one's diet are melting off pounds around the world, and reshaping the economics of food - and the multifactoral model of obesity is dying a bitter but inevitable death as the truth about carbs is spreading.

Now, consider anorexia. Like stomach ulcers (historically) and obesity (partially still), anorexia is considered a multifactoral, food/eating-related disorder, with other nebulous, unproven factors involved. In my opinion, that is just meaningless crap - comforting crap to some, perhaps, but still crap to anyone honestly searching for solid answers.

Now, the sentiment behind this crap is not necessarily bad - I'm sure it is spread by good people who are just trying to ease the pain associated with those with an ED. The problem with spreading this crap is that it discourages people from thinking critically about concrete causes or treatments. In the end, this makes the multifactoral model the enemy of a cure to this or any other ailment.
  #72   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 17:50
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by seluratep
But I am starting to see the flaws in the food pyramid; I dont know why I didnt see them before. They do not cater to a person's specific needs. What about vegetarians? I would always just replace their "meat" section with tofu and other high protein things. I suppose the same is true of carbs. You do get some carbs from fruit and veggies, so how could cutting out the processed bread and refined sugar be so bad?

Thank you again for your explanation. And I definitely do think it seems balanced. I'm not afraid to admit when I was wrong! My views have definitely changed some since Ive been here, and thats what I was hoping for.

It's a common misconception that we all eat tons of meat and no veggies, and I think part of the reason that people have reacted so strongly is because it's a stereotype that everyone is tired of hearing.

I'm glad you've learned a little more about low carbing! I wish others were willing to listen. There would be fewer people out there eating 3 pounds of bacon and a tub of sugar free ice cream and wondering why they don't lose weight.
  #73   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 20:58

Stats: 120/120/100 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Reply to GotBeer on Eating Disorders

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbeer
One hears this "multifactoral" theory (genetic, biological, social, pocket lint, sports, hot sauce, etc) a lot when dealing with puzzling disorders. While some find multifactoral theories useful, I do not - they raise red flags for me in that they signify a disturbing failure of deductive thought.

They actually show a great deal of reasoning and thought. Do you know how many studies had to be conducted and how many hours, months, years of research had to be done in order for even one scientific person to state their "multifactoral" theories with any bit of validity? These aren't random ideas thrown out sloppily by amateurs. THey are theories which are carefully constructed and amply supported by scientific evidence.

Consider stomach ulcers. For decades ulcers were considered a multifactoral disease: caused by a combination of genetics, physical stress, emotional stress, spicy food, and so on. Ulcer patients were treated with milk and advised to reduce stress. Neither did much good.

Stomach ulcers are not psychiatric disorders. The psychological mind involved in an eating disorder is far more complex than the bacteria and enzymes involved in the digestive system. They are two totally different facets of the body. Therefore it should follow that the development of a psychological disorder, such as anorexia, would be due to reasons more complex than that of an ulcer. It is logical that more factors would influence the psychiatric mind than would influence the digestive system simply by nature of the way the two systems work.

Consider obesity. One hears multifactoral models for obesity/overeating all the time - the same infuriating mixture of fatty diet, genetics, stress, etc. Stunningly, however, the simple steps of reducing the carbs and increasing the fat in one's diet are melting off pounds around the world, and reshaping the economics of food -

Just because Low Carbing has worked for some people who try it, it doesn't mean it works for everyone. Moreover, just because a person can lose weight low carbing, it doesn't mean they have won their battle with food. Until a person deals with the underlying issues surrounding food and why they became overweight in the first place, it is highly unlikely they will remain at a healthy weight/fitness level. If your theory about carbs is true, than every single person in the entire united states would be obese because they all live in a society that promotes high carb/sugary food, and more than likely, we've all consumed carbs at some point. This, however, is not the case. Only some people go overboard with the carbs and food consumption. The question is, why? Until people deal with the "why's", it is unlikely they will maintain whatever weight loss they may achieve.

Now, consider anorexia. Like stomach ulcers (historically) and obesity (partially still), anorexia is considered a multifactoral, food/eating-related disorder, with other nebulous, unproven factors involved.

As someone who has struggled with an eating disorder for almost 10 years, as well as someone who has researched the topic for almost as long, I can say that researchers have found ample evidence used to support various theories concerning why eating disorders develop. Studies have been conducted and research has been done to confirm certain factors influencing the development of eating disorders. I'm sure 10 years from now researchers will have learned even more reasons why such disorders persist in some individuals. But regardless, it is extremely narrow minded to think there is only one reason behind america's struggle with weight, and that that reason is as simple as the carbohydrate.

In my opinion, that is just meaningless crap - comforting crap to some, perhaps, but still crap to anyone honestly searching for solid answers.

Now, the sentiment behind this crap is not necessarily bad - I'm sure it is spread by good people who are just trying to ease the pain associated with those with an ED. The problem with spreading this crap is that it discourages people from thinking critically about concrete causes or treatments. In the end, this makes the multifactoral model the enemy of a cure to this or any other ailment.

Eating disorders are complex diseases and can not be compared to, or treated the same, as any other disorder, be it psychological or physical.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 08:55
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley0202
Eating disorders are complex diseases and can not be compared to, or treated the same, as any other disorder, be it psychological or physical.

Of course they can compared. I just did it.

Eating disorders are touted as complex diseases, but I have yet to see a shred of proof that they are.

Not one shred.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 12:02

Plan: No specific plan yet
Stats: 295/295/180 Male 5' 11.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hey Seluratep,

How's it going? I can tell that you're trying to deal with a lot of issues--you mentioned PTSD. I won't ask, as I'm sure it's a fairly private thing, but I'm willing to bet it has a lot to do with your "goal weight" of 80# that you mentioned. I too have a goal weight right now of 240--probably the first goal of several descending goals.

I'm dealing with AvPD--avoidant personality disorder. Very not fun. Just recently recognized what it is, though I've been a slave to it for about 18 years (I'm 32) and eating was my way of coping. And by the nature of AvPD, it was self-reenforcing--the added weight/size added to the AvPD, which added to the eating, etc. I weighed myself this morning at 310.5# and I'm in a 'swing phase' where I'm trying to get serious about Atkins again, but it's hard to do for a myriad of reasons, not just internal ones. You're not alone in weight issues which might be related to other things.

BTW, I hope you don't plan on dropping down to 80# too fast before you go to college. There's a popular myth, which I've seen played out about half the time, called the "freshman fifteen", regarding the number of pounds gained on average by college freshmen, based on the new-found freedom and necessity of self-sufficiency. Might be best to hold off on the weight drop until you hit school, just not even think about it, and then give 'er a shot when you find out what school's all about once you're there. Could serve to balance out and save you from the 'freshman fifteen' altogether.

Something else you might find interesting, that I've found pretty informative-- www.mybodycomp.com . It takes some measurements you make and figures your body composition in terms of lean tissue and body fat and your basal metabolic rate--how much you burn up each day just by being alive. Pretty insightful stuff, and pretty accurate from what I've seen there.

sean