Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 23:50
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%
Default This Forum should be closed!

I have seen in a short peek so many very bad information that I would say to prevent bad exercising it should be closed.

For low carb these forums are very OK, but on cardio and weights it really is very very bad...

(Yes I know better, I know...)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 06:02

Plan: BFL
Stats: 167/162/167 Male 6'3
BF:13%/10.4%/10%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher16
I have seen in a short peek so many very bad information that I would say to prevent bad exercising it should be closed.

For low carb these forums are very OK, but on cardio and weights it really is very very bad...

(Yes I know better, I know...)

The postings on here are by people like yourself, whether qualified or not. Many are based on their experience with what works, doesn't work etc.

Rather than closing the forum it would be more helpful if people like yourself could impart your wisdom and guide others rather than making a blanket statement. Perhaps even giving examples of the bad advice you have read, would be more helpful than just saying "it is very very bad".

We wait with baited breath.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 06:07

Plan: Atkins-general low carb
Stats: //150
BF:to much *LOL*
Progress: 12%

I Think These Forums Are All Great.and There Is Sooooooo Much Helpful Info On Here.if You Don't Like One Of The Forums Then Don't Read It.but Why Should The Rest Of Us Suffer?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 10:04
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28
I Think These Forums Are All Great.and There Is Sooooooo Much Helpful Info On Here.if You Don't Like One Of The Forums Then Don't Read It.but Why Should The Rest Of Us Suffer?

Hoi Jennifer,

It is the Suffering I would like to warn for. The exercise info, like cardio before workout etc. is really bad and will work contraproductive. Beginners should get an educated advice how to workout.

www.t-mag.com
www.bodybuilding.com

There is enough info here, just read and use the search.

Good luck anybody
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 10:22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeqtoo
The postings on here are by people like yourself, whether qualified or not. Many are based on their experience with what works, doesn't work etc.

Rather than closing the forum it would be more helpful if people like yourself could impart your wisdom and guide others rather than making a blanket statement. Perhaps even giving examples of the bad advice you have read, would be more helpful than just saying "it is very very bad".

We wait with baited breath.

Here it is in essence: Only take the hardcore advice from Bodybuilders if you want a transformation in body composition.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 11:03

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Why? Gymnasts have excellent physiques, why not follow their training? Triathletes often have excellent physiques, why not follow their training? Many lighter class powerlifters have excellent physiques, why not follow their training?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 20:25

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default The long awaited ultimate true

watcher,

I must admit that after reading your confident (though a little tough) posts here, I went to check your other posts - "with baited breath" to find the absolute true, the ultimate bodybuilder program to transform my body composition. (Based only on hardcore bodybuilders advices.) I must admit I was a little surprised when I found your exercise program:
(quote from you)

"What to do: Use some weight training to gain muscle (HIT, one hour a week) and do some cardio (I do cycling twice a week).
My way: once a week HIT, compound exercises, free weights.
twice a week cardio. NO supplements."

My surprise was bigger only when I found your nutritional approach, that start with a confession:
(again quote from you)

"BTW I didn't even buy or read his book...

Due to cash problems I'm afraid. But I will do buy his books as soon as possible.

There is enough info in the net to compose your own warrior diet. Maybe somewhat difficult to find, but it is there.

ABSOLUTELY IMPORTANT:
If you give it a try, START AT NIGHT with OVEREATING. That will convince you to be able to do this. The next day you will be glad you don't have to eat, except voor a couple of eggs, nuts or some lean meat.
Then the next day at 18.00: from this time on treat yourself with the greatest diner you can afford. Especially treat yourself with a luxurious dessert, icecream, cheese, chocolat or what ever. Do this for the next days and you will see you gradually will start to a comfortable level of undereating and overeating. For ever you will be happy with party's, barbeques, dinners etc. etc. You will eat the most and stunn the rest by assuring them it's simply your diet!"

Quote:
...Beginners should get an educated advice how to workout.
I agree....

May I recommend to you for example trainerdan's two excellent threads?

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=28035
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=16165

Last edited by Galadriell : Tue, Apr-13-04 at 20:39.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 02:16
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel
Why? Gymnasts have excellent physiques, why not follow their training? Triathletes often have excellent physiques, why not follow their training? Many lighter class powerlifters have excellent physiques, why not follow their training?
I found true results in the BB community on the net.

As far as I know a lot of sporters with any succes do also weighttraining. If they do it right, and why wouldnīt they, you can find their training and eating on these BB forums. So their muscle development and fatlowering is coming from their ambition to use BB-training to further themselves in their own discipline.

I know professional soccerplayers, racingdrivers, jetpilots, martial artschampions do this. So you could try to mimic their sport, but you do better to mimic their training that leads to your own set of goals.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 02:29
Registered Member

Hello Galadriell,
I can imagine you are surprised, although I am not sure what exactly is unfamiliar to you. In the far corners of the internet, you can find both extremes I use: HIT and overeating-undereating. They work fantastic for me. I know that now, so indeed I am confident and enthousiast about it.

I have taken these even more to the extreme myself based on the best information I could find on the net.

For example what I am still looking into:
1. It could well be that a week is not enough to give your muscles enough rest for maximum growth.
2. It could well be that saturated fats are really valuable food.

As soon as enough sources start to get to these conclusions I adjust my program accordingly. My advantage is that I need to convince nobody but myself. If my results continue like now, I will post some about it.

I donīt want to get in endless discussions though.

If you look carefully af what I write you will see that I do not claim my program to be the ultimate truth, nor to be referring to anything like it.

The forum here could use a beef-up to provide especially the beginners with better quality. Or stop it because of lack of it.

--'Truth is a temporal-, geographical- and social-variabel concept. It is the desired representation of facts in a group of (1 or more) people'

Last edited by watcher16 : Wed, Apr-14-04 at 02:51.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 03:07
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriell
May I recommend to you for example trainerdan's two excellent threads?

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=28035
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=16165
I looked into this.

Although containing some valuable info, the first on really misses the point on the use of a home-gym. The reactions to it show some more sense. I could go analyse this, but on the BB forums I mentioned you can use the search to find out how real dedicated BB value their home-gym.

A beginner could start with a simple F/I-bench and some adjustable dumbbells for say $150. He or she could do an amazing lot of exercises. Forget about leg-extension and -curl units. The space you need is the widt of your arms +20 cm x the length of your body. For it will make a lifetime difference to you it is the best thing you could ever do. Info on www.bodybuilding.com for exercises and video examples.

If you know that once a week 45 min is really enough you can understand why I think it is easy to do for everybody. Cardio will support the losing of fat. But walking or cycling is much better than the gym. Can be combined with your daily job, the dog, shopping etc.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 04:45

Progress:

Quote:
Cardio will support the losing of fat. But walking or cycling is much better than the gym.

Does resistance training support the loss of fat?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 08:20
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeqtoo
Does resistance training support the loss of fat?

Because resistance training generaties muscles, the extra muscles will burn extra calories. So this training will cause you to lose fat, although slow.

Quote:
We wait with baited breath

Look at this one:
http://www.fatlosstips.com/

This one alone will change your life. I know some points could be discussed in his story, but if you would just follow his advice, which I generally do, you will get a very different body.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 11:36

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

there is scientific research that anaerobic training such as weight training will raise the metabolic rate for many hours after exercise, in some studies it appears raised for 24-36 hours - and this will also effect weight loss - not just the muscle gains/maintenance.

HIT is just one protocol. HST is another. German-volume training is another. etc etc. Different plans for different goals - e.g. strength gains vs. muscle mass gains, etc. No one program meets all persons goals.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 16:16

Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS
there is scientific research that anaerobic training such as weight training will raise the metabolic rate for many hours after exercise, in some studies it appears raised for 24-36 hours - and this will also effect weight loss - not just the muscle gains/maintenance.

HIT is just one protocol. HST is another. German-volume training is another. etc etc. Different plans for different goals - e.g. strength gains vs. muscle mass gains, etc. No one program meets all persons goals.

Bingo, LisaS has the correct answer you get the prize, watcher16 you leave with nothing, you are the weakest link bye bye (just a joke
)
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 16:35
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Deleted, changed my mind, decided not to flame.

Peace, Chip

Last edited by Chipperoo : Wed, Apr-14-04 at 17:36.