Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 08:03
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Hello Yakumo,

I would advise to get healthy first before starting a 'real' diet.

You can have a moderated low carb lifestyle where you will eat healthy food. I find that if you eat the good carbs, the good fats, lots of vegetables, lean meat and fat fish you are compatible with large parts of the major LC diets. Not with the specific parts, but that is good in order to repair your metabolism.

See this link for info on what I think is good for your health:
http://chetday.com/warriordietantiaging.htm

You are right about the exercise part, I use weight training (HIT) and some bicycling for the cardiopart.

Make feeling healthy your priority now,

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 09:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/143/200 Male 6 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Interesting link. Interesting diet. I have tried it out before just a little bit (sort of for half a day, without the nightly binge), but I do really badly on the fasting period. Instead of enhaced alertness, I get totally "wired" and my mind goes at like 1000 times faster than normal, always racing. I get anxiety-ridden and just too pent-up. Often short tempered too. It's not a good feeling. That said, I think this diet has something going for it. I'm just not sure it's for everyone (by everyone, I mean me :-) ) and I'm not sure that a "dry" fast for 18 hours is very smart as I said earlier, but I may well be wrong (it's happened before ). I'm interested to learn so many on this forum have had success on it. It certainly sounds like a pleasant way to live since I actually get annoyed by having to eat frequently (because of hypoglycemia). I would like to just go through a day or two and not have to eat... Anyway, congrats to all having success on this plan. It sounds kind of fun!

Last edited by Yakumo : Sun, Jan-23-05 at 13:26.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 14:38
Registered Member

Most people eat nog enough, Yakumo. And during daytime you can take some food (boiled egg, yogurt, salad, meat or cheese), you need not to be hungry.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 10:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just wanted to point out this interview, I found it interesting:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler49.htm
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 11:56
Registered Member

Hey Adukart, I hadn't found that one I think. Great link!
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 04:22

Plan: CAD
Stats: 183/183/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress:

Two Questions:
Anyone doing this successfully who has hypoglycemia? Please let me know.
Also, anyone over 45 doing this with any success?
Thanks.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 12:28
Registered Member

Haha!?

I'm over 45 brother...

At the moment I'm starting to think about buying a digital camera to post a picture . So withing a year I will do that...

There is an insuline simulator somewhere on the net, maybe that can help you.
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 20:15

Plan: CAD
Stats: 183/183/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress:

I've actually been doing this for 3 days and delightfully lost 3 lbs. after trying low carb and carb addict diet for 1 month and not losing anything!! I do feel good. Nightly "binge" really isn't a binge; it's a lg. serving of salad and dressing, meat and usually a very nice and yummy dessert.
For the last 3 days during the fasting part I've had a handful of nuts 3 different times a day (just when I get really hungry) and a lg. iced latte with 3 shots of espresso. I usually start the day with a large glass of water and large cup of coffee. The rest of the day, I drink water and various herb teas. Is it alright not to do the veg/fruit juicing (because of shortage of time and inconvenience) and just stick with the nuts and herb teas and latte? Is it a diet you can play around with somewhat?
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 13:14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerJan58
Is it alright not to do the veg/fruit juicing (because of shortage of time and inconvenience) and just stick with the nuts and herb teas and latte? Is it a diet you can play around with somewhat?

Congrats Terjan!

It is no problem at all to eat not at all. Some people find it even easier, and Ori Hofmekler advocated this more in the beginning. Later on the vegetables and juice were mora a kind of 'allowed' and they add to the cleaning idea. For fat burning not eating is better.

A lot of people make their own variant of the WD, the principle is just eat little in the daytime and a lot, mostly healthy food in the evening. You will find that even at party's where in early times you had the feeling of eating to much and to bad, you will now gladly eat as much as you can of the more healthy food that is available, to complete satisfaction of both body and mind

Good luck, and try to keep it fun enough to sustain!
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 23:25

Plan: general lc
Stats: 170/160/155 Female 70 inches
BF:I/Love/Myself
Progress: 67%

I would like to say that I followed this very intereseting thread and am intrigued. I have always felt better and more energetic throughout the day when I eat little or even nothing. I will have to give the feasting part of this diet a go ahead...I fall asleep if I eat too much during the day so this really seems to be up my alley, guess I'm a warrior (hey, I'm 5'11" so maybe I decended from Amazon warriors? LOL)

I have been doing Atkins but cheat every few days , so I am not losing but not gaining...but so many people always advocate the importance of eating breakfast and eating frequently throughout the day that I started thinking I need to do the same, but when left to my own devices and listening to my body I have SO MUCH energy when I undereat or fast during the day. In fact, when I was in school the only way I could stay awake thru classes was to not eat. If I ate a bkfast or lunch I would literally be passed out drooling on the desk!

I think I will experiment and report back soon...my main goal for Atkins was to increase my energy and for healthier eating habits in general, but this WD seems perfect!

Thank you for introducing us to it. I imagine pretty soon there will be a Warrior Diet section of the forum!
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 13:09

Plan: Warrior?
Stats: 185/193/200 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Hi, this thread came up when i did a search for the Warrior Diet. So, I registered and here I am. There is a lot of info on the web about the Warrior Diet (WD for short). People tend to love it or hate it. I love it, my wife hates it. The problem is that at dinner, I would be eating 3,000 plus calories (I work in a feed store and lift weights, to boot!), so I have to come up with a strategy to do the WD and not make my lovely wife grumpy. I think this can be done. Having done this diet in the past, I got hooked on the energy and clear-headedness the diet gave me. Oh, it didn't seem to have a bad effect on my work capacity, really, but it takes a while to adjust to. The crockpot will become a great friend of anyone on this diet!
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 02:11
Registered Member

Hi Sunnyhoney and Storm Fox,

Its nice to have some more people taking a look at the WD. Let know how you do, what you do, what you like or don't like.

You don't need to eat all your calories in one meal, Storm, I eat my first meal like the family eats, take nuts to complete satisfaction, and then always take a 2nd meal of leftovers, canned or frozen vegetables, mixed with mayo, cheese, meat etc. about one hour before going to sleep.

If I have a sauce with the meat it can be a heavy one, with butter, creme fraiche etc. That will fill one up!
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 21:36

Hi Watcher, I wanted to update...I have experimented a few days of the WD and did not eat anything in the early day and found that I had amazing energy and did not get drowsy and want to take a nap at all during the day!! YAY! I hate that post-lunch lethargy, it KILLS me.

I try to eat as little as possible early in the day if I can but I would say for the most part I am still doing Atkins.

Thanks for posting about this diet, it really is a revelation! Keep on keepin' on!!
  #74   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 04:58
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I know this is an old thread.. but hopefully for the supporters it's still relevant.
I've done my own variation of the WD (I say my own because I don't have the book, just read stuff and adapted it to my life) and loved it, I was so smart and very energetic Why did I stop?

I'm looking at beginning a variation of it again! I'm really sick of the emotional eating I'm doing when I get home from school (going though a rough time being screwed out of a LOT of money, like 14K by my school, leaving the country for good in a couple mos. family etc).
I get home and I'm exhausted and just eat for comfort.. eat a lot which of course just tires me out mentally and physically for the rest of the day.

Is there any information that you guys have (besides the short clip about how great it is for nursing women) about adaptations for pregnant women?
Before the lectures start... I have every intention of munching on eggs, cheese, meat/fat and soup throughout the day (my homemade broths and soups are very nourishing) ... but I'm looking to the near future and thinking I don't want to be a dead woman walking with my newborn the way I see so many other women, there's got to be a better way. Exhaustion and lack of sleep yes, but I know I don't deal with those two well so any advantage I can give myself I will. I think the WD may be an advantage. Plus I'm moving to Germany, so the prospect of being able to to eat SOMEWHAT unrestricted for a meal is exciting. I think I've yet to visit there and not gain weight on those delicious foods.
  #75   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 12:55

Hi Meg S! I wanted to reply to you. A couple things I have thought about when I read your post...

I had my son in 2001 and breast-fed. I also did not watch what I ate, meaning I didn't try to eat healthy, just what I craved. Well, I craved sugar. In fact I practically LIVED off coffee cake and lost all my weight. BUT, I was miserable. No wonder I was tired as heck all the time! I would reccommend that as a new mom you follow the eating plan, whatever it may be, that will allow you to nourish your body and maintain a high energy level. If you breast-feed the calories will be flying out of your body, so I don't know that weight loss will be hard. I just regret not eating right for the sake of my own sanity!

If your body needs a lot of carbs during breast-feeding, then you may be setting yourself up for a hard time by eating very few. Also, doing the Warrior Diet where you have one huge meal at the end of the day would wipe you out. And you cannot be that comatose if you have to just get right back up again with baby in a few hours!

If I ever have another baby (I am now divorced so it's not that imminent) I will try and eat lots of fruit and veggies as well as low GI carbs and lean protein throughout the day. Small meals through the day so my energy would stay constant but I would not get the lethargy that for me follows a large meal.

Well, I hope something I said was useful! Good luck with your pregnancy and the move--sorry to hear that your school is screwing you. My ex-husband got screwed out of 20 grand for tuition and he never evn completed the program! Man, I used to feel sick when I would write out that loan repayment check thinking that we were paying for nothing! THose darn schools can be so sneaky!! I feel your pain and frustration.