Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 11:06

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%
Question Question for maintainers who went through OWL

I have a question about OWL for those of you who did move through it prior to maintenance....

I'm doing OWL now. I've gone by the carb ladder adding, more veggies, lc dairy, and nuts. I've got the rest of this week before I add berries. I'm up to 30 carbs per day. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to always get to 30 carbs...and feel I MUST so end up eating lc icecream or something to get up to 30. This happened yesterday...I wanted asparagus instead of green beans for lunch...and couldn't bring myself to eat a whole cup of spinach at dinner. So after dinner my carb count was around 25...I felt like I needed to get it up so ended up eating lc ice cream to push it up. I'm just not hungry enough to eat 4 cups of veggies every day so my goal is to eat at least 3 servings/cups...and sometimes I'd like to be able to choose lower carb veggies for the variety. I've all but stopped having salads because they are just TOO low carb. To me this seems silly.

So what did you do? Did you make sure to get to your carb limit each day, not worry about it, what? I know it will be easier here in about 2-3 weeks after I've added berries and lc grains, but that's awhile from now. And if I'm only getting 25 carbs per day it will be hard to move UP to 35 or 40.

Please help with ANY advice. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 11:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey freckles

I never worried if I got up to the carb count, I only worried if it looked like I was going to go past it. And I did some "Borrowing" each time, so if for some reason, I only had 15 carbs one day, I knew I could go to 40 or so the next day.

My problem now is getting below 30 carbs per day... I can't seem to be inspired to eat enough low carb...

Mary
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 11:29
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Look at vegetables that give you more carb bang for your buck. And you don't have to hit the 30 grams a day, every day.

Avocados and tomatoes are good ways of raising your carbs without resorting to ice cream. Have a some guacamole or salsa as a condiment with your meat. Other carb dense foods like eggplant or peppers works. Try ratatouille or an eggplant, tomato, zucchini and pepper casserole with a ricotto cheese and mozzarella topping.

Soups are a good way of getting more vegetable carbs in. A pumpkin and cauliflower soup with sausage and spinach will give you vegetable variety. Or a multi-vegetable soup like minestrone without the beans and pasta.

If you're having a salad, you could add sliced strawberries or some melon and some sliced almonds. Tasty with chicken!

It does become easier as you get more comfortable with it.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 08:51

Plan: atkins/pesco-veggie
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 64.5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

if i felt i hadn't had enough carbs, i would mix a few scoops of vitamin supplements into a s/f drink...don't know if that will help you, because i have always tended to be a vitamin junkie (lol), but if you go to any health food store and look for these kind of products, you might find one you like.

good luck to you!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 09:36

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

sweet potatoes are a good addition--higher carb and some really postitive health benefits. look through atkins for life which has some good suggestions
lettuce is def low carb but a salad doesn't have to be-- remember dressings chick peas are good too. Some people add grapefruit to their salads, or even melon slices (when u get to that level).
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 12:18

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Karens suggestions are tried and true

How about some cottage cheese, full fat of course.

Soy Milk ?

That Rattaoulle is still my favorite low carb dish! yes feta on top, and toss in some good quality farmers sausage. YUMMY

Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 16:01

BF:

even little changes can help-- like instead of tuna, have higher carb fish. Sprinkle shredded carrots onto your salad. Instead of celery with cream cheese, use celery with cottage cheese or celery with hummus. When wrapping deli meat with mayo and lettuce, add a tomatoe slice. Instead of a bunless burger, use baked eggplant slices for "bread".

as a former vegetarian, here's something i used but it may not appeal to u-- juices made from veggies. Throw fav veggies into a juicer, add some protein powder, and u've got your self a great snack!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 21:08

BF:

Thank you for all the responses...I've been reading them with interest. The 'borrowing' idea is something to consider...though I'm still a bit fearful of it as of yet. I did start adding some tomatoes and onions and that has helped. I'm worried though because I feel like I'm having low blood sugar symptoms from them. Going to play around with it a few more days and see how it goes.

Thank you, Karen, for the reminder that it does get easier. OWL has been a little stressful. I'll have to look for the Rattaoulle recipe.

Unfortunately, Karen, cottage cheese caused me to have major low blood sugar symptoms and appeared to cause me to gain. Since I don't like it all that much anyway, I just stopped eating it. I may try it again when I get to pre-maintenance...but that's a little ways off.

That brings up another question.....Have any of you been able to add something later that you had trouble with?

No veggie juices for me! But I do like your adding veggies to other stuff idea and have been trying that.

I've also noticed that I don't have trouble EVERY day. It's just periodically...I just freaked out. I think the advice that it's okay not to get up to my carb limit is VERY good! I was worried that doing this might cause me to slip back to 20 since I had such a hard time mentally going above that. But I've decided I'm going to keep my eye on it and if it becomes a habit rather than exception, then I'll worry.

Thanks again! I really do appreciate the help.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 07:28

Plan: Atkins, low cal
Stats: 150/116/117 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 103%

I am definitely having the same problem. Mentally, I cannot make myself go above 20 carbs. AND physically, I am just not that hungry! Then I feel like I HAVE to eat, and my proteinfat/carb ratio becomes off balanced. trying to stay at around 1300 calories AND watch the carbs AND move into OWL has proved very difficult for me
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 08:00

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

This is a tough phase of Atkins, especially if you spent a lot of time at low carb levels and got used to eating that way. I remember feeling like I knew how to do super-high carb, and I knew how to do 20 carbs a day, but I had no idea how to do moderate carb levels. I still notice that if I'm not paying attention, just trying to eat "normal" lc, I end up well under 30 net carbs and sometimes under 20.

The advice to start increasing sweeter vegetables, or those with less fiber, is excellent. Or, if you go to a restaurant, maybe the person you're with gets something higher carb (like a dish with rice) and you could eat two spoonfuls of it.

But I also agree that trying to pad your carb levels with sf desserts like ice cream isn't the best idea. That will mess with your calorie levels. when 1/4 cup of sweet potato or fruit would give you the carbs and also some nutrients. Just my thoughts!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 09:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles
I'm worried though because I feel like I'm having low blood sugar symptoms from them.

low blood sugar symptoms from veggies? yikes--do u have hypothyroidism or something? are u sure its the veggies and not something else--caffeine can increase blood sugar amoung other hidden culprits If you are sure, really make an effort to add more fiber when adding carbs (this is why i am surprised since veggies have so much fiber naturally). ie. maybe add flax or crushed all-bran on your salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles

That brings up another question.....Have any of you been able to add something later that you had trouble with?.

hmmm, what do u mean by trouble? I was able to add LOTS more cheese, and also soy milk-- which is weird since i was lactose intolerant! Also, my dining hall deli meats were terrible in induction--hidden sugars i'm sure, gave me major cravings/made me kinda sick but now i can eat ounces and ounces w/o any problems!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 13:49

BF:

Yes...I'm pretty sure the symptoms are from the tomatoes and onions. The only things I eat besides meat and veggies are some lc candy in the evenings, lc dairy products (milk & yogurt) and every once in a while I'll have some lc bbq sauce and Diet Rite. But the only time I've experienced low blood sugar symptoms since starting this woe is when I ate cottage cheese the first time (was really bad) and after I've had a fair portion of tomatoes and onions in the same meal (not as bad). I do spread my carbs throughout the day. I'm at 30 carbs, get most of them from veggies, and have approximately 8-9 per meal. I don't drink caffiene at all.

Like I said, the symptoms have come pretty soon after having the tomato and onion at the same meal - and I always have a good amount of protein with them. The symptoms aren't bad, could probably even live with them...but I'm going to play with it a bit.

The trouble I meant was with the cottage cheese. The first time I ate it, RIGHT after I got up and walked across the room...by the time I got there I was VERY light headed and dizzy, just like in the old days. This really scared me, but recieved advice here to try it again. I ate 3 1/2 cup servings one week, skipping a day between servings. I discovered that each of the days I ate it I was up on the scale the next morning. I did not have the extreme symptoms again. Someone had advised to eat it with protein so I did. But the extreme symptoms the first time, coupled with the weight gain on the days following when I ate it, kind of got me gun shy to cottage cheese. It's definately something I can live without, but wondered in general if anyone has found that something they had low blood sugar symptoms from, or weight gain/stall from could be added in later stages of the wol.

Thanks!