Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 03:09

Plan: not sure
Stats: 180/160/130 Female 5 8
BF:
Progress:
Default Best diet for PCOS

Should I be following the Atkins diet or the glycaemic index or the ??? which is the best diet to follow when you have PCOS and 5 stone weight gain. Also can anybody tell me if i start to follow the low carb diets do i need to count calories or do I just eat what I want?? help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 09:36
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

the best advice (as a fellow PCOS'er) is to try to Atkins Diet, go get yoursef a book and follow it for a month and see if you lose any weight, I garauntee you will, and also that you'll feel so much better!

The atkins diet is really good for people with PCOS as it cuts out all the foods that we love to store up and turn to fat like sugar and carbs.

Let us know which diet you decide in the end, I'll be interested to follow your progress if you chose another diet.

Emma
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 09:28

Plan: IR
Stats: 297/267/150 Female 66"
BF:Goin' Down!
Progress: 20%

As a fellow PCOSer, I think that low carb diets are the best for us. I am insulin resistant as well, so I have been following the Insulin Resistance diet. So far, I'm losing...not as quick as on Atkins, but with the metformin that I'm on...I get too lightheaded on Atkins.

I would suggest to pick a lower-carb diet and follow that whether its Atkins, IR, SBD, CAD, etc.

GL!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 13:14
Registered Member

Plan: My Own Low Carb Plan
Stats: 230/227/140 Female 5'3"
BF:40.7%/40.2%/24.8%
Progress: 3%

I've been doing Atkins for 2 months now. I actually started my period for the first time by myself (without hormones) in 5 years! Its hard to stick to 20 carbs a day, but as someone once told me... "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels". I've lost 10lbs in 2 months. For me.. that's a milestone. I haven't stuck to a diet for more than 2 weeks before, so 2 months is definitely success in my book. Once you get in the groove of LCing... its not so hard. I've found myself eating the same things over and over and over and then making a slight variation of that.
As devsi said.. any low carb diet for PCOSers is good.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 19:22
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/145/128 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 37%

hello! i have recently been diagnosed with pcos and was researching glucophage and that is how i found this site. i am currently on atkins and have lost 10 lbs in the past 3 weeks. i lost 7 in the first and am fluctuating between that 7 and the 10 that was my lowest weight (145). i am interested to know what the insulin resistant diet is? i go on gluc next week and am really looking for ways to combat the side affects. has anyone else taken the gluc? thanks! (C:
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 19:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 158/158/125 Female 5"1
BF:
Progress:
Smile pcos and atkins

if you have just started glucophage the side affects will eventually go away once your body gets use to it.usually about 3-4 weeks or so.good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 20:30

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

I have PCOS, and I started with the Schwarzbein Principle. I like her because her focus is on balancing all hormones which is very important with PCOS. We need to focus on health, not just weight. It worked for me I started after I had lost 17lbs in a year with working out and then adding glucophage and aldactone, then I started the diet lost a total of 50 lbs, then came down with pneumonia which set me back about 15 lbs. In the process I decided to drop the pill and aldactone, 3 months later I'm pregnant on my own without fertility, and having given up years ago on being able to have another baby. I had 3 normal cycles off the pill which has never happened in my lifetime. I know any low carb plan will work, you have to find one that suits you best, but read as many books as you can to find out why low carb is best.
Schwarzbein is slower weight loss, but I feel so much better that is ultimately what counts.
For what it is worth, I'm due anytime now, I have lost weight with the pregnancy, I have gestational diabetes, but controling my BS very well low carbing (about 100-150gms/day). My uterine measurments are normal, my other two pregnancies they were always high. I don't have the puffiness normally seen.
Tanya
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 19:33
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I have PCOS and am on Neanderthin. I am finding it works better for me then when I was on Atkins.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 02:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/258/136 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:Lots, definately
Progress: 24%

I think whatever works for you is great of course, but my gynocologist actually recommended Atkins specifically. I am new to that WOL, but will keep you updated on how it is going =)
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 14:59
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 261/220/140 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:62%/50%/25%
Progress: 34%

My gynecologist put me on the Protein Power Plan. It has worked well for me. I'm in my 4th month now. I just came off birth control pills and ovulated for the first time in 18 months. On my own and on a "28 day" schedule!!!! I am very excited. After trying for almost 2 years I got pregnant only to have a miscarriage at 11 weeks. We waited a few months and tried again until my Dr. put me on pills because I hadn't had a period in over 5 months. He told me until I lost weight and got my blood sugar/glucose level under control we would not get pregnant. He told me to do low carb, but I didn't listen and did low fat/low cal for 2 months with little result. After seing my doc for a check up and him telling me again to LOW CARB, I bought the book and tried it. I also started working out at Curves a little over 2 months ago. I have lost 26 lbs by the scale and gained 24 lbs of muscle, so I have lost a total of 50 lbs of fat!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 11:59

Plan: low carb
Stats: 276.5/262.0/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default i am doing weight watchers but

have low carbed it to the point not as stricked as atkins but enough that i am losing weight consistently .... u have to try things and see what works best for u.............
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 13:32

Plan: None
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 71
BF:
Progress:
Talking Help!!

I have PCOS, am insulin resistant, have hyperthyroidism and I am extremely overweight...have been for years. I am currently on synthroid and my doctor put me on glucophage 2000mg a day...4 pills at night and I stopped taking them after about 7 weeks because, I didn't see any results and they made me feel "bad". The thing is...I tried the body for life diet, while taking those and got the worst headaches....so right now, I am only taking 50mg of synthroid daily. No diet seems to work, I tried the Carb Addicts diet too, seen results but wasn't able to stick to it....anyone out there, with the same problems. I would like to get off all pills all together and get my hormones in sync by herbs ya know. Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated. You may email me personally at rmosley77~yahoo.com! God Bless, Rebecca
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 13:42

Plan: low carb
Stats: 276.5/262.0/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 13%

i am really finding low carbing the ww diet is not too bad cause i know those days i really crave carbs i am not going against the diet.. i started taking
Phase 2 tablets before meals it is a white bean extract that is proven to help eat up ur starches in ur body that u consume and help u lose weight. i just started them on saturday this past weekend so i will let u know how it works out!!!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 14:23
One day at a timer

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 328.5/280.5/180 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I too have PCOS and Atkins has done wonders. My cycles are now more regular and I am losing weight. Hopefully we will be able to start TTC next summer or winter.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 12:14

Plan: PCOS Diet
Stats: 196/185/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Linzi,

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 1990, when I don't think anyone knew much about insulin resistance, and its role in weight gain - esp for us women with PCOS.

Having researched as well as I could, I decided to start the South beach diet. It has less of the *bad* fats found in Atkins and specifically addresses insulin resistance. In the first 10 days of Phase 1, I've lost over 10lbs and am already starting to wear clothes I haven't worn in a while.

Mind you, I previously lost 3 stone with the Rosemary Conley low fat diet, but knowing what I now do about PCOS, I think a sensible low carb diet would work better.

Annwn