Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 11:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/138/135 Female 5'7"
BF:I did it!
Progress: 93%

Thanks for all of your responses! At the induction level the Atkins diet is so limited that I was "cheating" occasionally with sugar-free Jell-o, but then worried that when I didn't lose any weight that week, that 1/2 cup of Jello-must be the cuprit! In retrospect though, I really don't think a small amount of aspartame will make any difference to most people (including myself.)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 13:12

Plan: Atkins + IF
Stats: 200/180/150 Male 68 inches
BF:blah
Progress: 40%

I agree with triplemom, moderation is the key. i drink an occasional diet mountain dew once or twice a week....Mostly depends on the individual.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 14:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzman
funny, Michael J. Fox doesn't seem like a small animal to me......
do a search on "pakinson's disease" and "aspartame" and see what comes up

heres an example
http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-information.html

You might want to look up "aspartame hoax" on the web too.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 14:59

Plan: Atkins + IF
Stats: 200/180/150 Male 68 inches
BF:blah
Progress: 40%
Default hoax?

A Hoax?....On the Web???.....Inconcievable
I just posted it so that everyone can form their own opinion....not to push it as bad, I drink it too, but i do make sure not to drink it very often.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 16:50

Stats: 275.0/220.0/185.0 Male 72.5 inches
BF:??%/25.7%/??%
Progress: 61%

Wow, imply that the people's favorite no carb soday, Diet Coke, and people get vicious!!! You would have thought that that somebody just suggested that you cut out all but 20 grams of carbs per day.

#21   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 18:17

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I HAVE to consume aspartame/its in my medicine (Questran). This IS the sugarfree version/and by GOD I am not having the version of this medicine that contains SUGAR no matter what!!! It does not affect my success with Atkins diet. I must take a packet of Questran powder before each meal. Not a problem.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 18:30
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Weight loss naturally fluctuates from week to week. IMHO we are sometimes a bit quick to pin the blame for it on something we eat or drink.

Next thing you know, it'll be dangerous to drink anything with dihydrogen monoxide....
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 18:35

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Next thing you know, it'll be dangerous to drink anything with dihydrogen monoxide....
Hey, do you have any idea how many people that stuff kills every year?
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 18:39

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

dihydrogen monoxide LOL! Well potatofree, in cirtain parts of the country......unfilterd......blah......blahblah.....
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 18:44

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Dr. Atkins simply suggested that aspartame may stall some people's weight loss. If he was concerned about the health risks he would not have suggested the sugar free jello.

I have found two things so far that stall me or make me gain weight...one is aspartame and the other is cottage cheese. Everyone is different...you'll have to figure out for yourself if aspartame stalls you. Good luck.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 18:45
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrecklFluf
Hey, do you have any idea how many people that stuff kills every year?

I've heard it's infiltrated our whole food supply chain. There are no government regulations or ANYTHING!

I've even heard rumors our local bar is adulterating the liquor with it.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 19:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Weight loss naturally fluctuates from week to week. IMHO we are sometimes a bit quick to pin the blame for it on something we eat or drink.

Its often fatal if you inhale it!
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 21:04

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Its often fatal if you inhale it!
Strangely, it's not dangerous for fish. In fact, it's a required additive to any aquarium. I am very careful when I handle it, though.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 22:19
Midas in reverse

Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%

Quote:
I just don't think they would still be on the market if they had serious side effects.
ROFLMAO!!!
TRANS-FATS SHOULDN'T BE ON THE MARKET EITHER!
In fact they're illegal in Europe--have been for several years, I understand. Pressure from (certainly not the manufacturers) various groups finally convinced the FDA to have them pulled from the market, but not until 2008. Alot can happen B4 then, including the FDA changing its mind, and a lot more people dying. The manufacturer of Nutrasweet knew that it caused brain damage (killed brain cells in vitro) B4 it was approved. Do you think that this scholarly knowledge has ceased to exist since then?? Scholarly research is rarely, if ever done for pure altruism--unless the doctoral candidate and/or college professor is independently wealthy. Only funded research projects get scholarly blessings and approval. Even Dr. Atkins had to knuckle under to the scholarly establishment to get positive scholarly attention focused on what he had been observing in his practice--by creating a "non-profit foundation" to pony up the funds for some scholarly research on the subject. And where do you suppose the major scholarly funding comes from (to prove or disprove the hypothesis that, for example, Nutrasweet is a health hazard)? If you guessed manufacturers and/or foundations with an agenda, then you'd be correct. What if the results aren't what was planned or expected? Just about any research can be written (or re-written) to minimize, or even bury unpleasant findings. Why do you think that the tobacco companies were able to PROVE through scholarly research that cigarettes were at worst benign, and at best actually good for you for so many years, even when, by their own belated admission, they knew the real facts from their own privately funded studies since at least 1949? Do you honestly believe that the major food companies are less unscrupulous that Big Tobacco was?

Yes anyone can put anything on the net. And in books. There are still active members of the Flat Earth Society too. And ostriches (of the avian and human variety) still put their heads in the sand when they don't want to believe in the danger surrounding them. Contrary to common public opinion, the FDA is NOT on the side of the consumer. If they were, they would never have knuckled under to Big-Ag and adopted the Food Pyramid to replace the "4 basic food groups" (that incidentally, though probably outdated, at least kept our parents and grandparents thinner and healthier than the Pyramid has done for us).

Last edited by Azraelle : Sat, Mar-20-04 at 02:43.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 06:49
Registered Member

Stats: 165/141/125 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

I think Frekl was onto something--I think some people ARE sensitive to aspartame. I drank diet cokes for years and years before beginning LC, and I notice that they have a similar effect to sugar, as least as far as my body goes. If I drink a Diet Coke in the morning, I am starving, starving starving! It really sparks my appetite. I have limited myself to one diet coke directly after lunch. That seems to inhibit the sugar-effect, hunger feeling I get.